Swedes shocked by first terror attack in 3 decades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swedes shocked by first terror attack in 3 decades

Pretty inept attempt, but the intent remains.

Two people were wounded in central Stockholm after a car bombing

By MALIN RISING

updated 1 hour 3 minutes ago

STOCKHOLM — No one died except for the suspected bomber, but two explosions in Sweden's capital tore at the fabric of this tolerant and open nation — a society that hadn't seen a terrorist attack in more than three decades.

Two people were wounded in central Stockholm on Saturday in what appeared to be the first suicide bombing in the history of Sweden, which has been spared the major terrorist strikes seen in several other European countries.
    The rest of the article:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

the chance to die from such suicide bombs is less than flying (safest form of trasportation... every other going from A-B is more dangerous)... so yes - meh, if we stopped paying attention to it, it would not be an issue...

one of the rare instances where perception is really all there is to it.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Yeah, but the problem is that aviation accidents are just that - accidents. Suicide bombers have suome bastard with particularly malicious intent behind them.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

It's just some loser who's used Islam as an excuse for the fact he couldn't get a girlfriend.

That's what most of these people are, at the end of the day. Losers.

Wake me up when they're blowing themselves up in my country on a daily basis...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

He's got a wife and 2 kids. Not sure about a girlfriend.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
            Maybe he was frustrated at not being able to find that second wife he was searchign for?
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
              the chance to die from such suicide bombs is less than flying (safest form of trasportation... every other going from A-B is more dangerous)...
              This isn't really as true as people seem to think it is. While a person is, in general, much less likely to be involved in an aviation accident than an automobile accident, aviation accidents are far more lethal than automobile accidents. And the only reason people are more likely to be in an automobile accident than an aviation accident is because people drive a whole lot more than they fly.

Flying is safer in terms of deaths per unit of distance traveled, because of how far planes go compared to cars, but more dangerous in terms of deaths per number of journeys, because planes are giant explosives hurtling through the sky.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                Nagging wife and two screaming brats: enough to drive anyone to suicide (bombing).

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  This isn't really as true as people seem to think it is. While a person is, in general, much less likely to be involved in an aviation accident than an automobile accident, aviation accidents are far more lethal than automobile accidents. And the only reason people are more likely to be in an automobile accident than an aviation accident is because people drive a whole lot more than they fly.

Flying is safer in terms of deaths per unit of distance traveled, because of how far planes go compared to cars, but more dangerous in terms of deaths per number of journeys, because planes are giant explosives hurtling through the sky.
                  I detect a post laced with a heavy whiff of pedantry...

Comment

*shrug* It just irks me when people trot out statistics like that without qualifying them. If flying is categorically labeled the "safest form of transportation" then people will incorrectly believe that it is always safer to take the plane than the car.
                    Last edited by Lorizael; December 13, 2010, 12:20. Reason: Christ I'm dumb.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Probably because it's a well know fact that flying is safer than driving. Not to mention the fact that anyone with even an iota of common sense will immediately grasp the fact that this is down to the non-crashing part of that fact.

I would be interesting to see what the survival ratio is of people involved in aviation accidents - I'm willing to bet it's not as catastrophically high as people might think. Another incorrect belief, perhaps...?

Comment

It depends how you define aviation accident.

Hard landing?
                        Drunken passenger assaulting another?
                        Concussion from rough mile-high-club entrance exams?
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                            Probably because it's a well know fact that flying is safer than driving.
                            Sometimes you're quite the dullard.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post

It's just some loser who's used Islam as an excuse for the fact he couldn't get a girlfriend.

That's what most of these people are, at the end of the day. Losers.

Wake me up when they're blowing themselves up in my country on a daily basis...
                              That's what the Swedes were saying.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X