Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
    Sorry?
    He means he's afraid he'll fall in love with you.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Whilst a scary thought, it was not one I had considered before. BUT NOW I CAN'T GET TEH IDEA FROM MY HEADz!
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
        The concept of you teaching makes me think of "Never Been Kissed".
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          And I don't think it will hurt my job prospects down the line, either. Having been a military officer will at the very least show future employers that I am a well-rounded individual who has leadership experience.
          That's not how it is in the real world, despite what the recruiting propaganda may have told you.

In truth, I've seen veterans have some of the hardest time finding post-service employment. A lot of employers are leery of military types, either because of suspicion of things like PTSD, assumption they're not as bright as a college grad or just being intimidated by them. Having a college degree in a useful/relevant field is far more advantageous than having been in the military, as far as employment is concerned.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• I wouldn't call anyone who volunteers for the military to be "well-rounded". Honestly, it's more a sign that you've got a couple screws loose.

"PLEASE ! PLEASE ! SEND ME TO IRAAAAAAKK!~!!"
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
              That's not how it is in the real world, despite what the recruiting propaganda may have told you.

In truth, I've seen veterans have some of the hardest time finding post-service employment. A lot of employers are leery of military types, either because of suspicion of things like PTSD, assumption they're not as bright as a college grad or just being intimidated by them. Having a college degree in a useful/relevant field is far more advantageous than having been in the military, as far as employment is concerned.
              Going to college or graduate school after serving is usually better, because it removes a lot of those concerns.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                Going to college or graduate school after serving is usually better, because it removes a lot of those concerns.
                Yes, but I'd say that in such cases it's the degree that matters, and the military service prior is not viewed by employers as relevant/beneficial. So purely in terms of resume-building, military service alone probably isn't worth the time dedicated to it.

Of course, things like the G.I. Bill helping former military go to school and get said degrees is a real, tangible benefit, but that's a separate issue from the one of how military service is perceived by employers.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  Active duty Marine officers do not have MOS's until they are nearly finished TBS which comes after OCS. How it works is, Second Lieutenants are allowed to make a ranked preference list but ultimately their performance/grades at TBS and the needs of the Corps are the decision-makers. There is also a quality spread to prevent all the talent from being concentrated in a few 'popular' MOS's.

As you can see, the quality spread means any given MOS will have officers from the top, middle, and bottom thirds of their TBS classes and that 49% reported getting their first choice.
                  So even if you're a bloody genius, there's a very real risk that you'll be given a rifle and chucked into Helmand province? That's messed up. They shouldn't have the dunces doing signals analysis. I hope they have some sort of soft system set up to correct official policy.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• In Russia, if you pursue a PhD and don't finish your dissertation in time, you are forced to join the military.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I haven't looked at the entire thread so excuse me if these seems like a redundant suggestion. Could Albi do something worthwhile in grad school with an undergrad degree in finance?

Comment

• Like a TA?
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• You know, I like trying to solve Albie's problems much more than my own. Probably because mine are nearly unsolvable and far more heart breaking. For example, I am faced with the reality that the brown jacket that I love may not fit me that well. Because of it's material, I might not be able to get it tailored.
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Lose some weight!

Easily solution

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Actually, I think the problem is that I need to gain weight. Which isn't easy for me, especially with my new youthification project.
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                                So even if you're a bloody genius, there's a very real risk that you'll be given a rifle and chucked into Helmand province? That's messed up. They shouldn't have the dunces doing signals analysis. I hope they have some sort of soft system set up to correct official policy.
                                Elok, you're forgetting... officers are all college graduates. The dunces are relative. Yes, I know this very thread questioned the efficacy of an American college education but still...

And that also speaks to Boris' point which is oriented towards enlisted persons.

But I don't care if it ruins my job prospects. I need to do this. It is more important to me than anything else.
                                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                                X