Poly Off Topic Users - The Dumbass Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
    We should have a button for every post, and when it's been clicked by 5 different people, the post will be removed and the poster would have a PCR. I would of course be invulnerable for that button.
    If I may be blunt, that seems a very flippant response from the owner of a site that seems well on its way to the graveyard. Please refer to posts #8 and #39 in particular. Neither of those posts were mine BTW.

This thread was started in response to a suggestion, by another poster which I seconded, that permanent banning might be an idea. Perhaps permanently banning two or three notorious troublemakers should be enough to elevate standards to a disgraceful level, which is about the level apparently desired by most of the people who post on OT (I'd be happy with that). As for moderation, closing the occaisonal thread that gets completely out of hand should suffice. Perhaps a thread closure every one to three weeks should suffice to maintain disgraceful standards.

I also suggest "hiding the OT" from casual visitors. Make members log on before they can enter the OT forum. The OT would make a very bad impression on these casual visitors who might be put off Apolyton and go elsewhere, never to return.
    Last edited by Egbert; December 10, 2010, 04:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      What do I have to do for a PCR?

I would LOVE it if you could give me a -42000 post count.
      If I had the power I'd do that for you.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
        Lies!
        Saying that Hull is a ****hole doesn't count!
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
          Saying that Hull is a ****hole doesn't count!
          Leave my beloved ****hole out of this
          Last edited by MikeH; December 10, 2010, 07:18. Reason: Fixed!
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Fixed that for you PH.
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

*AAHZ mode*

I HAVE BEEN VIOLATED! I'M GOING TO SUE YOU ALL!
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                If I may be blunt, that seems a very flippant response from the owner of a site that seems well on its way to the graveyard. Please refer to posts #8 and #39 in particular. Neither of those posts were mine BTW.

This thread was started in response to a suggestion, by another poster which I seconded, that permanent banning might be an idea. Perhaps permanently banning two or three notorious troublemakers should be enough to elevate standards to a disgraceful level, which is about the level apparently desired by most of the people who post on OT (I'd be happy with that). As for moderation, closing the occaisonal thread that gets completely out of hand should suffice. Perhaps a thread closure every one to three weeks should suffice to maintain disgraceful standards.

I also suggest "hiding the OT" from casual visitors. Make members log on before they can enter the OT forum. The OT would make a very bad impression on these casual visitors who might be put off Apolyton and go elsewhere, never to return.

That would definitely mean the death of the OT.
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

If you are referring to "hiding the OT", there are other sites that do that (eg Paradox requires you to log on before the OT becomes available). It is the On Topic that attracts the visitors. The Off Topic is a sort of "add on".

Comment

Permabans don't work. Anyone who could be described as a 'notorious troublemaker' here knows enough to get around a permaban, even with an IP ban.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Not posting dumb things is a perfectly decent solution.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                        If you are referring to "hiding the OT", there are other sites that do that (eg Paradox requires you to log on before the OT becomes available). It is the On Topic that attracts the visitors. The Off Topic is a sort of "add on".
                        I agree with the latter (two). If anyone is so stupid to leave/not enter the site because of the OT bickering then he'll be a no good On-Topic in any regard.
                        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                          Can I get a PCR? I'm sick of KH lording his Double Deity status over me.
                          I thought you'd never ask for it!
                          Request approved.
                          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

@Braindead
                            a grain of salt is needed when reading my posts in this thread
                            (Except for my response to DaShi's request of course).

I've been thinking about some alternative approaches for the OTF in the past.
                            Right now I think that it's quite ok and the real trouble is a bit behind us.
                            Not that any thread may ever be nominated for the Nobel Price for Web Debating.....
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I thought you'd never ask for it!
                              Request approved.
                              Chicken.

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              What do I have to do for a PCR?

I would LOVE it if you could give me a -42000 post count.
                              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

@Braindead
                                a grain of salt is needed when reading my posts in this thread
                                (Except for my response to DaShi's request of course).

I've been thinking about some alternative approaches for the OTF in the past.
                                Right now I think that it's quite ok and the real trouble is a bit behind us.
                                Not that any thread may ever be nominated for the Nobel Price for Web Debating.....
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X