Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama appears to have done something good

That's right, ****ing over teacher's unions

ATLANTA — The U.S. Education Department said Tuesday that nine states and the District of Columbia will get money to reform schools in the second round of the $4.35 billion "Race to the Top" grant competition.

Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island and Washington, D.C., will receive grants, department spokesman Justin Hamilton said. The amounts for each state were expected to be announced later.

The aim of the historic program is to reward ambitious changes to improve schools and close the achievement gap. The competition instigated a wave of reforms across the country, as states passed new teacher accountability policies and lifted caps on charter schools to boost their chances of winning.

Tennessee and Delaware were named winners in the first round of the competition in March, sharing $600 million. The applicants named winners Tuesday will share a remaining $3.4 billion. Another $350 million is coming in a separate competition for states creating new academic assessments.

The historic program, part of President Barack Obama's economic stimulus plan, rewards states for embarking on ambitious reforms to improve struggling schools, close the achievement gap and boost graduation rates.

"New York's schools have made strong strides toward excellence and this grant will accelerate that progress," said U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., who met with Education Secretary Arne Duncan on New York's proposal. "This is great news for parents, teachers, and taxpayers across the state."

Thirty-five states and the District of Columbia applied for the second round of the competition. The Education Department named 19 applicants finalists in July.

More than a dozen states vying for the money changed laws to foster the growth of charter schools, and at least 17 reformed teacher evaluation systems to include student achievement. Dozens also adopted Common Core State Standards, the uniform math and reading benchmarks developed by the Council of Chief State School Officers and the National Governors Association.

"The change unleashed by conditioning federal funding on bold and forward-looking state education policies is indisputable," the Democrats for Education Reform said in a statement. "Under the president's leadership, local civil rights, child advocacy, business and education reform groups, in collaboration with those state and local teacher unions ready for change, sprung into action to achieve things that they had been waiting and wanting to do for years."

In a speech announcing the finalists last month, Duncan called the change a "quiet revolution."

Between both rounds of the competition, a total of 46 states and the District of Columbia applied.

While the program has been praised for instigating swift reforms, the competition for many states was an uphill battle, with teacher unions hesitant to sign on to reforms directly tying teacher evaluations to student performance on standardized tests, and education leaders concerned winning meant giving up too much local control.

A number of states that did not win the competition said they still planned to proceed with the reforms they had proposed, though they acknowledged change would take place at a slower pace.

It appears that this plan has incentivized states to put in evaluations for teachers. I want to believe that these will actually do some good. Who knows.

No Child Left Behind
    Obama toughening No Child Left Behind

It's funny, because when Arne Duncan spoke at TJ about a year ago, he *****ed and moaned about NCLB being an awful program--essentially because it didn't do enough. I thought that this was strange, because before NCLB, we didn't do anything. But whatever, he's a democrat, reflexively criticizing Bush is part of the job.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

i had a dream about Obama last night. He was running a gay club, but I managed to convince him to have a straight night at least 1 weekend out of 4.
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island and Washington, D.C.
      Right to work states.

Not really sure how this is detrimental to unions. In HI, MA, MD, NY, OH, RI and DC, more funding for teachers = slush funds for the unions. I also don't know how GA got on the list, as it's right to work and voted against Obama.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Ben Kenobi

This message is hidden because Ben Kenobi is on your ignore list.

I'm not even going to open it, drama queen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          Right to work states.

Not really sure how this is detrimental to unions. In HI, MA, MD, NY, OH, RI and DC, more funding for teachers = slush funds for the unions. I also don't know how GA got on the list, as it's right to work and voted against Obama.

Quoted for HC's benefit. If you're going to ignore him, ignore him. Don't get petulant about it.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

No Child Left Behind
            At the risk of being an elitist, No Child Left Behind misses the mark in that it fails to address the challenge to motivate and inspire the gifted and talented and strive to push them in favor of minimum standards. Assuming these so called gifted and talented are the individuals most likely to have the largest impact to society and societal advances it seems a symptomatic cure at best.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

@ the ****ing rabbit: Hey !
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Thanks, Laz. I really don't see why this is at all harmful to the unions... Perhaps HC can explain. Having the federal government toss money at education isn't going to do squat to increase accountability.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                  At the risk of being an elitist, No Child Left Behind misses the mark in that it fails to address the challenge to motivate and inspire the gifted and talented and strive to push them in favor of minimum standards. Assuming these so called gifted and talented are the individuals most likely to have the largest impact to society and societal advances it seems a symptomatic cure at best.
                  WOW, good post (I'm not used to agreeing with you ). But I will say that the issue may not be as big as you expect since those highly gifted and talented are more likely to be self-motivated. But yes you're correct, not all of them are.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                    what do you think my school is? the goal of NCLB is to improve the GENERAL case, at any rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                      what do you think my school is? the goal of NCLB is to improve the GENERAL case, at any rate.
                      Again, with your school!
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        WOW, good post (I'm not used to agreeing with you ). But I will say that the issue may not be as big as you expect since those highly gifted and talented are more likely to be self-motivated. But yes you're correct, not all of them are.
                        You would be surprosed at the amount of times you and I are in agreement. Probably far more often than in disagreement were I to guess.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          what do you think my school is?
                          An anomoly at best. Probably overstated as well given people's predilection to think their school is the one shining example of enlightened learning, because "after all it edumacated me!"

Comment

Alright, how about gifted and talented programs?

I agree that focusing more on the smart kids is the correct allocation of educational resources. However No Child Left Behind's goals are KIND OF IN THE TITLE. You're suggesting the program be something it fundamentally is not. And making it easier to fire ****ty teachers is a noble goal, even if they aren't gifted program teachers.

Comment

So throwing more money to schools makes them more likely to fire teachers?

Comment

Working...
                              X