West Edmonton Mall a summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Edmonton Mall a summary

1. Parking sucks. It's quite a fight to find a spot and heaven help you if you forget the exit.

2. The ice rink is really really as awesome as you think it is.

3. Bourbon street, meh. Makes me think of disneyland, except disneyland does the little stuff right. But then Disneyland doesn't have a Hooter's restaurant, so that's a wash.

4. Haphazard layouts, few maps. WE Mall is huge, and confusing. It would help having clear lines of sight along the two major axis, so you could see the pirate ship from the far end. Marking the escalators so that you can see them on the same level would be helpful.

5. Food court, great idea, except when it's on the opposite side of the IMAX theatre. Statue of Augustus Caesar? Yeah, I'm going to be dining like a roman scarfing down my Caesar salad. Although, I have to say that's a plus. They don't have that Italian place here.

6. IMAX, pretty good idea, but what's the point of barring people from carting in WEM food from other vendors? Loved the movie, and I actually could make it out ok.

7. Which brings us to something else the magic kingdom does right. Bathrooms. They need bigger bathrooms by the IMAX so that don't have stupidly long lines.

8. Which brings us back to haphazard layouts, no bathrooms on the second floor? Really? Which reminds you of the fact that the food court bathrooms are a half hour away...

9. Thieves, yes. Thank you albertan people for convincing me that Canada does theives better than anybody else. At least the only thing they got was my crappy cellphone.

10. Hmm, makes it hard to text my friends without a phone, eh? Let's see if there's an alternative way that I can call them here.

11. Having a telus kiosk there in the mall is cool, but running it out of Vancouver? Really? Why don't they run the WEM branch out of Edmonton. At least they were able to confirm my account and cancel my phone.

12. Not being able to buy a telus phone card from the mall branch is really bad. I can get one from here that works in all the phones at the local convenience store, same with our shopping mall.

13. selling phone cards at the london drugs (conveniently located on the other side of the mall), and ones that don't have the correct layout to work in those handy telus phones. Gee, maybe telus should sell the proper phone cars in WEM, eh?

14. said phones taking loonies but not toonies, when long distance calls are 230 a minute? Ok. Clearly one of the reasons why nobody actually uses the phones...

15. Wave pool. Really? Wow. Amazing I could be in the mall for an afternoon, and never come across it.

Anyways, WEM gets a mixed review from me. If WEM were american and not faux american they would have done the little stuff right rather than that unique canadian characteristic of small irritations that spoil the whole experience.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

What is the point of this? Who cares about some rinky-dink Canadian mall?

And what happened? You got robbed? What the hell? How do you always get robbed?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Edmonton sucks, WEM is one of the worst parts of it, you are stupid for going.

FWIW I've never been robbed/mug/stolen from and I've lived in Alberta for 18 of my years. Ben's apparently been robbed/mugged several times in several areas. He must look like a chump.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Who cares about some rinky-dink Canadian mall?
        Albert, educate yourself and do a search for it.

You got robbed? What the hell? How do you always get robbed?
        You're asking me? I dunno why anyone would bother stealing that POS. It was old when I bought it two years ago, and I bought that one specifically because I didn't think anyone would bother stealing it.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

WEM is one of the worst parts of it, you are stupid for going.
          Didn't have a choice. My best friend is getting married in a week, and this was his stag party. His best man organised it. Personally, I would have done the whole lan party thing, and we would have had a blast, but I wasn't involved in the planning.

We actually weren't going to go to the mall at all but the paintball place was closed for some bizarre reason. Last minute change in plans.

FWIW I've never been robbed/mug/stolen from and I've lived in Alberta for 18 of my years. Ben's apparently been robbed/mugged several times in several areas. He must look like a chump.
          Never been robbed in the US. I only get robbed in Canada. Canadians are really good thieves.

Comment

Ben probably looks like/is a twink. Twinks seem like they'd be easy to rob.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

A twink would probably also have a better cell phone.

SP
              I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

I looked up this Edmonton mall... fancy place. Amusement park, water park, ice rink, miniature golf... but you got robbed in a fancy place like this? How is that possible? The place has thousands of employees and customers at any time... how do you get robbed in a ****ing crowd, Ben? That is not possible. You're doing something wrong.

A mugger isn't going to rob someone in a crowded place that probably is crawling with security... and if they did, all you got to do is make a damn scene! Yell you're getting robbed or something and the muggers will panic and you'll have dozens of witnesses.

And why did they build it in Edmonton? See, I never understand stuff like this. Like Mall of America... in the boondocks of Minnesota! I know land is cheap out in places like this, but imagine the money they could rake in if they built one of these in Jersey or something! Why the hell don't they?
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Who the **** has a stag party at a mall????

And Alby: They build massive malls in butt**** towns so they have a claim to fame.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

but you got robbed in a fancy place like this? How is that possible? The place has thousands of employees and customers at any time
                    It has far more customers than employees.

... how do you get robbed in a ****ing crowd, Ben?
                    Crowds are the easiest place to get robbed. Absolutely the easiest place. What would be better than a mall, with a bunch of people who are tourists, who don't know the place, who have lots of stuff, and lots of people around to conceal your activity.

A mugger isn't going to rob someone in a crowded place
                    I didn't get mugged Albert. I had the phone in my backpack sitting down where I was eating. My friend wanted to show me something he thought he was cool, and bam, the backpack was gone.

And why did they build it in Edmonton? See, I never understand stuff like this. Like Mall of America... in the boondocks of Minnesota! I know land is cheap out in places like this, but imagine the money they could rake in if they built one of these in Jersey or something! Why the hell don't they?
                    Cheap land and oil money. Cheap land of reasonable proximity to several million people, is what works for Minneapolis and Edmonton.

Comment

Who the **** has a stag party at a mall????
                      Let's see.

The people there were from:

Prince George, Prince George, Grande Prairie, Athabasca, Red Deer and Grande Prairie. None of us were from Edmonton, but Edmonton was the closest big city to all of us.

Hicks from the sticks with money in the big city. Where else do you think they would gravitate too?

Oh, and that's not the only place we went to, just the first.

Comment

The problem wasn't Edmonton per se, IT WAS THE MALL.

Comment

I didn't get mugged Albert. I had the phone in my backpack sitting down where I was eating. My friend wanted to show me something he thought he was cool, and bam, the backpack was gone.

You left your backpack unattended in a crowded place?

Comment

You left your backpack unattended in a crowded place?
                            I was standing close by just looking the other way.

I'm glad that Albertans can't keep their hands off other people's stuff like civilised folks.

Comment

He probably had a Mike Comrie Oilers jersey too. I guarantee you.

Comment

Working...
                              X