Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone here unfortunate enough to be an Asian American?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, no, I would expect not. With a doctor you expect someone to just do the job well. You don't need a well-rounded person like you would with a lawyer or a banker.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

http://www.mindingthecampus.com/orig...es_asians.html

A new study by Princeton sociologist Thomas Espenshade and his colleague Alexandria Radford is a real eye-opener in revealing just what sorts of students highly competitive colleges want -- or don't want -- on their campuses and how they structure their admissions policies to get the kind of "diversity" they seek. The Espenshade/Radford study draws from a new data set, the National Study of College Experience (NSCE), which was gathered from eight highly competitive public and private colleges and universities (entering freshmen SAT scores: 1360). Data was collected on over 245,000 applicants from three separate application years, and over 9,000 enrolled students filled out extensive questionnaires....

The box students checked off on the racial question on their application was thus shown to have an extraordinary effect on a student's chances of gaining admission to the highly competitive private schools in the NSCE database. To have the same chances of gaining admission as a black student with an SAT score of 1100, an Hispanic student otherwise equally matched in background characteristics would have to have a 1230, a white student a 1410, and an Asian student a 1550. ...
      So very sad to see the destructive effects of bigotry.

Why can't Americans be judged by the content of ones character rather than the color of one's skin?
      Last edited by Heraclitus; July 15, 2010, 07:03.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

You know why this is, Heraclitus? There are still Blacks alive today who were flat out not accepted at most colleges in this country.

Take this story that runs TODAY:

It was the summer of 1950, and Mary Jean Price, the salutatorian of Lincoln High School in Springfield, Mo., hoped to enroll at a hometown college and become a teacher.

But this was four years before Brown v. Board of Education, the 1954 U.S. Supreme Court decision that declared denying black children equal educational opportunities was unconstitutional.

At 18, Price was, school records show, the first black student ever to apply to Southwest Missouri State College (now Missouri State University) in Springfield, was denied admission.
        "What are you going to do if a negro student presents himself for registration in the fall quarter?" wrote J. W. Jones, then president of Northwest Missouri State College (now University) in Maryville, Mo., to other state college presidents.

The test came when Walls [Price's name now; she's married since then] applied to Southwest Missouri State.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I would like to see overall course completion percentages for the actual uptake.
          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty View Post
            I would like to see overall course completion percentages for the actual uptake.
            That depends significantly on whether they're male or female... Here's some interesting stats but the images are so small for some reason...

Interestingly... so the top schools have very high graduation rates...

comparison of whites/blacks at some top schools...

and the change over the last several years at some top schools...

Source: http://www.jbhe.com/features/50_blac...gradrates.html

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              You know why this is, Heraclitus? There are still Blacks alive today who were flat out not accepted at most colleges in this country.

Take this story that runs TODAY:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...y-degree_N.htm
              And Asians should be punished why?
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                And Asians should be punished why?
                Asians

I mean really? Can we all agree on this one?

slanty-eyed, side-ways vagina, peeing in cokes... who needs them?

Comment

Dude, you haven't had sex until you've tried a sideways veeg. Oh. . .look who I'm talking to.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    Asians

I mean really? Can we all agree on this one?

slanty-eyed, side-ways vagina, peeing in cokes... who needs them?
                    And Mexicans should be rewarded for the past suffering of Blacks why?

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                      And Mexicans should be rewarded for the past suffering of Blacks why?
                      They gave us tacos

Comment

hmmm

so does affirmative action (explicit programs or implicit in "seeking diversity") account for most of this?

I recall sitting on a committee for needs based schorlarships in law school and I was amazed at how low the grades and LSATs were for some of the native or black students. A lot of them did just fine though.

The white, black and hispanic numbers could make sense to me purely on the affirmative action idea.

The asian numbers look badly skewed. AA can explain black and hispanic numbers theoretically -- Is there any similar easy explanation for the asian numbers?
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                          The asian numbers look badly skewed. AA can explain black and hispanic numbers theoretically -- Is there any similar easy explanation for the asian numbers?
                          I wonder how much of that is because what I said earlier that Asians tend to make crappy 'people'. I know it's a stereotype but there's enough truth in it and it may actually affect applicants. Colleges look at other things besides SAT scores and high school grades; they want to see a complete person who was involved in activities and who can sell themselves in an essay. It's obviously not always true but there are a lot of Asian kids that are lacking in these areas.

and by the way,

The Espenshade/Radford study draws from a new data set, the National Study of College Experience (NSCE), which was gathered from eight highly competitive public and private colleges and universities (entering freshmen SAT scores: 1360)
                          That's cool cause that is exactly what my SAT score was. 1360. Should've gone ivy league

Comment

@Al B. Sure: Blacks mask low IQ with winning personality, Whites and other Blacks in studies consistently overestimate their IQs. The oposite is true of Asians, people tend to underestimate Asian IQ.

However your argument about Asians making "crappy people" (seriusly and *I* am called the racist here? I guess Asians aren't a sacred cow like Blacks) is really poor. The average East Asian is likley to have a higher income than the average White, he is also much more likley to have a PhD and he is less likley to commit a crime.

East Asians make better citizens and even employes (on average). They are also less likley to get divorced,to cheat and even to cause a car crash (this one suprised me).
                            They are prefectly fine people thank you very much.

If your explanation is correct the Ivy leagues are overestimating the real market value of CV fluff that Rich White kids are putting on there.

BTW In a 2005 studyThomas J. Espenshade and Chang Y. Chung put the hit Asian kids take from affirmative action to being equivalent to 50 points on the old 1600 SAT scale.
                            Last edited by Heraclitus; July 16, 2010, 19:06.

Comment

I wonder how much of that is because what I said earlier that Asians tend to make crappy 'people'.
                              albert, do you want to clarify this incredibly racist statement?
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I keep hoping this thread is a joke, and my hopes keep getting crushed.
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X