Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone here unfortunate enough to be an Asian American?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone here unfortunate enough to be an Asian American?

Talking about East Asians of course.

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2010/06/...ates-2007.html

Must be tought living in a country that treats you this unfairly just based on your race when it comes to College admission.

Heck, the high IQ Jews can just pass as regular gentile whites so no one will punish them for their high IQ. Indians can always put down Caucasian too.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; July 1, 2010, 00:56.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

You really insist on showing your ass, don't you?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Wow those are pretty shocking differences.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Edit: n/m, didn't read
        Last edited by Asher; July 1, 2010, 00:59.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

One of the comments is enlightening somewhat:

I'm curious why you chose the numbers you did. You exclude many buckets (the top-scoring/graded students, for example).

I would have chosen the totals. For example, 47.1% of the 78,492 white students were accepted where 39.3% of the 10,147 black students were accepted. But, perhaps that didn't match your narrative?

There are a trivial number of black students compared to white students who even apply, much less get accepted. Look at the data you linked to. There are 725 white applicants in the top-test/top-GPA slot and 5 (FIVE) in the top slot for blacks.

Comparing percentages for hand-picked buckets in such a skewed case will result in very strange results.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I made no comment about Blacks. Only East Asians. Only a handfull of Blacks would ever be in the top scoring slot this is plain as day so I never touched the subject. However a greater % of East Asians should be top scoring compared to Whites. The fact whites have higher admision rate clearly demonstrates bias against East Asians.
            Last edited by Heraclitus; July 1, 2010, 01:15.
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

It's because it's graded on a curve. Asian eyes have less curve.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

How clever.

Comment

Ahahahahahahaha like Asian students would score less than 3.6. Yeah, right.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Don't understand the point of the table... how exactly does it show discrimination?
                    One possible explanation is that all Asians apply to higher education while only some blacks (and those most apt too) do. There are other possible explanations,
                    of course. You can't claim Asians are discriminated just based on those figures.
                    There can be a lot of self-selection going on.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
                      Don't understand the point of the table... how exactly does it show discrimination?
                      One possible explanation is that all Asians apply to higher education while only some blacks (and those most apt too) do. There are other possible explanations,
                      of course. You can't claim Asians are discriminated just based on those figures.
                      There can be a lot of self-selection going on.
                      Look at the first two lines of the table and think about what they mean.

Comment

What about intangibles? Although I doubt medical schools care about that in applicants, law and business schools definitely consider other things besides grades and test scores.
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Such as ethnicity?

Comment

jobs the applicant had, participation in extracurricular activities, the essay, experiences, etc. etc.
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                              Look at the first two lines of the table and think about what they mean.
                              I admit I had no idea what MCAP is. According to wikipedia:

There is no penalty for incorrect multiple choice answers, thus even random guessing is preferable to leaving an answer choice blank (unlike many other standardized tests). Students preparing for the exam are encouraged to try to balance their subscores; physical, verbal, and biological scores of 12, 13, and 11 respectively may be looked upon more favorably than 14, 13, and 9, even though both amount to the same composite score.
                              Bolding mine. Perhaps Asians arrive at the final score with unbalanced component
                              scores. Perhaps they score low on verbal (being recent immigrants?) and make up
                              for it on physical or something like that.

If not, if the table is correct and MCAP/GPA is the only criteria for approving applications,
                              then I'd agree that there's something fishy going on.

Hopefully, doctors in the US are not selected on basis of "extracurricular activities"
                              or "essays".

Comment

Working...
                              X