Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christianity ruins families.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ming
    replied
    My opinions are generally subjected to God's, because I subjectively decided that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and died on the cross so that I would have eternal life. Your opinions on the otherhand are merely subjected to your own stomach.
    I guess people who believe in different gods and other relgions could probably say the same the about your beliefs Kidicious... What makes your beliefs any better than those who believe as strongly in other gods or no god at all. Faith and belief are not something restricted to Christ. Why is your faith or belief in Jesus any better than others beliefs in their gods? Who is to say that you are right and they are wrong?

    Leave a comment:


  • Berzerker
    replied
    When were we given this free will, before or after the "apple"?

    Kid

    My opinions are generally subjected to God's, because I subjectively decided that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and died on the cross so that I would have eternal life. Your opinions on the otherhand are merely subjected to your own stomach.
    Generally? So you dont always accept God's opinions, or you dont always accept what the Bible says about God? YOU decided your interpretations of a book tells you about God, I've decided observing what we can of the universe may tell us about God.

    and I dont believe in showing my love for others by killing my children, or having them killed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    so why did God create us with the potential for evil and the inevitable sinfulness?
    Because in giving us true free will, we were also free to do good, and choose virtue.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kidlicious
    replied
    Another discussion point that could come up here is Mark 8:1-21. Jesus tells the disciples "Watch out for the yeast of the Pharisees and that of Herod," because the disciples are worried about having enough bread even though Jesus had recently demonstrated his ability to feed them. So, the way I understand it, Jesus is saying don't observe me by the physical world, and don't put your mind on physical (natural) things. Those things He will take care of. He wants us to pay attention to spiritual things.

    The Yeast of the Pharisees and that of Herod is a reference to all things not spiritual; the Law (as imposed by man), the natural law, and other social laws.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kidlicious
    replied
    Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
    You claim to know God based on your reading of a book - that aint subjective?
    There's a difference between subjective and subjected to. My opinions are generally subjected to God's, because I subjectively decided that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and died on the cross so that I would have eternal life. Your opinions on the otherhand are merely subjected to your own stomach.
    I decided, Kid.
    You decided as a little child who decides his daddy is a big meany. That doesn't mean much to the rest of us.
    So did you... I decided its immoral and petty to have people killed for laboring on the Sabbath. You've decided otherwise apparently...
    No what I decided is that I don't know anything, but what God tells me. I've also decided that you don't know anything btw.
    We should all agree? Aint that your dreaded subjectivity? And thats how I know "God" to be a petty and immoral tyrant - he sends his kid to die a horrible death and then blames us (our sin required a human sacrifice).
    I was just pointing out that God doesn't make everything about his nature known to us, that we have to have faith. That is in contrast to your statement that we can simply observe the world and know God's nature.
    Didn't work for most of the planet
    This is a meaningless statement. Everything happens in God's own time, not our own. Who are you to say when things should happen. You're like a child crying out, "I want my cookie before dinner!"

    Second, God doesn't intend for everyone to love him. Hitler was never going to love God, and that's how he was created.
    , maybe God can kill more of his children to convince the rest of us. Seriously Kid, if God wanted this lovefest he didn't have to send his kid off to commit suicide by cop. You do understand that, right?
    Again, God doesn't kill his children. They have eternal life.
    They were fulfilling God's plan to show how much we're loved. Without them, how will God show us love if no one kills his son?
    There's a difference between fullfiling God's plan and obeying God. Everyone fulfills God's plan, but only his children obey him.
    So its subjective when I say the creator shares responsibility for the existence of sin, but it aint subjective when you say the creator doesn't share any responsibility? Damn near your entire post is subjective, Kid.
    See above. I decided that Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and that he died on the cross to save me. That much is subjective. The rest of my opinions are subjected to. You on the otherhand seem to see God as your equal. That is subjective and ridiculous.

    You confused having a conscience with free will, that much I do know...
    No. Both conscience and the concept of free will cause you to feel shame for your sins. They work in different ways. I didn't confuse the two.

    Leave a comment:


  • Berzerker
    replied
    Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    By saying that you can know God by observation of existence you are implying that you are not being subjective about it, aren't you? Because your subjective imput is going to keep you from knowing the truth, no?
    You claim to know God based on your reading of a book - that aint subjective?

    So who decided what petty is? You or God? Who decided who is throwing a trantrum? etc... Is that not subjective?
    I decided, Kid. So did you... I decided its immoral and petty to have people killed for laboring on the Sabbath. You've decided otherwise apparently...

    You see you can not know God by observation. That should be very obvious. We should all agree that God does not wish us to be able to know him that way. The Bible says that we can know God because Jesus loves us, and died a horrible death so that we could live.
    We should all agree? Aint that your dreaded subjectivity? And thats how I know "God" to be a petty and immoral tyrant - he sends his kid to die a horrible death and then blames us (our sin required a human sacrifice).

    I've been explaining this to you. Jesus died on the cross so that you will understand how much God loves you, so that you will obey him, and so that you will have eternal life. If He didn't die on the cross most people would not obey, and their sacrifices to God would not please God, as Cain's sacrifices did not please Him.
    Didn't work for most of the planet, maybe God can kill more of his children to convince the rest of us. Seriously Kid, if God wanted this lovefest he didn't have to send his kid off to commit suicide by cop. You do understand that, right?

    No they were not following orders, but they were doing what sinners do since they did not know Jesus.
    They were fulfilling God's plan to show how much we're loved. Without them, how will God show us love if no one kills his son?

    There's your subjectivity again. How can you call the Creator and judge of the universe guilty? You have a preconcieved notion of what justice is and you're putting God into it. That makes no sense. You can't do that. God is the one who says what justice is and put's you into that, not the other way around. Your arrogance is beeming through so bright that it's blinding to the eyes.
    So its subjective when I say the creator shares responsibility for the existence of sin, but it aint subjective when you say the creator doesn't share any responsibility? Damn near your entire post is subjective, Kid.

    Maybe you don't know what you are talking about. Do you know what combatablism is? You understand free will as a libertarian understands it. Others understand it differently.
    You confused having a conscience with free will, that much I do know...

    Leave a comment:


  • Kidlicious
    replied
    Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
    By observing existence... Thats why I dont believe the deity depicted in the OT created the universe (aside from the fact Genesis doesn't make that claim). Whoever or whatever is responsible for existence doesn't throw tantrums over petty stuff - or worse. How do you guys explain that? I mean, c'mon! How do you read stories about God ordering slavery and genocide and conclude, "yup, there's the creator of the universe".?
    By saying that you can know God by observation of existence you are implying that you are not being subjective about it, aren't you? Because your subjective imput is going to keep you from knowing the truth, no?

    So who decided what petty is? You or God? Who decided who is throwing a trantrum? etc... Is that not subjective?

    You see you can not know God by observation. That should be very obvious. We should all agree that God does not wish us to be able to know him that way. The Bible says that we can know God because Jesus loves us, and died a horrible death so that we could live.

    No. But if it helps others, I dont really wanna rain on their parade.
    What don't you understand? Don't you understand that if you believe that God loves you that you will obey him? Do children not obey their parents because their parents love them? Those who love God are his children, they obey him. The Bible says that if you do not obey his commands you are not his children, and you do not love him.

    But why does someone, anyone, Jesus, have to die? Who demanded his blood? We didn't. I dont get it! God, why did you sacrifice your son? Human sacrifice aint kosher and yet I'm to believe the creator of everything engages in the practice? And to do this in the name of love? Thats perverse! Sorry, the more I think about it the more insane it sounds.
    I've been explaining this to you. Jesus died on the cross so that you will understand how much God loves you, so that you will obey him, and so that you will have eternal life. If He didn't die on the cross most people would not obey, and their sacrifices to God would not please God, as Cain's sacrifices did not please Him.

    Were the executioners following orders too? Why do we condemn them for following orders? Judas should be praised, right? I'm not feeling the love, can God kill more people?
    No they were not following orders, but they were doing what sinners do since they did not know Jesus.

    Judas was the betrayer. He was a child of the evil one. He went to hell because he wasn't a child of God, as he didn't understand the message of the Lord. God does not kill his own children, because his children have His own Spirit within them. God doesn't kill that which has himself within them.

    Did God create sin? Then guilt is shared, true?
    There's your subjectivity again. How can you call the Creator and judge of the universe guilty? You have a preconcieved notion of what justice is and you're putting God into it. That makes no sense. You can't do that. God is the one who says what justice is and put's you into that, not the other way around. Your arrogance is beeming through so bright that it's blinding to the eyes.

    Huh? I understand free will based on the definition. But you aint describing free will, thats called a conscience.
    Maybe you don't know what you are talking about. Do you know what combatablism is? You understand free will as a libertarian understands it. Others understand it differently.

    Anyway, this is what I'm trying to say. God gave you a conscience. You understand that term because it's how you define your argument of Natural Law. God gives human beings a conscience so that they will feel shame. Shame allows you to understand that you are guilty, and therefore need God's forgiveness. This brings you into obedience to Christ, if you are one of God's children. If you are not one of God's children then you just continue in your shame.

    Leave a comment:


  • Berzerker
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    That's a good question. I would say that evil came from people themselves, choosing to do what is wrong.
    so why did God create us with the potential for evil and the inevitable sinfulness?

    I didn't think any libertarians believed that man was intrinsically good.
    Where'd I say that?

    Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    What makes you think that you can just figure out what God is?
    By observing existence... Thats why I dont believe the deity depicted in the OT created the universe (aside from the fact Genesis doesn't make that claim). Whoever or whatever is responsible for existence doesn't throw tantrums over petty stuff - or worse. How do you guys explain that? I mean, c'mon! How do you read stories about God ordering slavery and genocide and conclude, "yup, there's the creator of the universe".?

    Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

    Do you understand the power of that verse?
    No. But if it helps others, I dont really wanna rain on their parade. But why does someone, anyone, Jesus, have to die? Who demanded his blood? We didn't. I dont get it! God, why did you sacrifice your son? Human sacrifice aint kosher and yet I'm to believe the creator of everything engages in the practice? And to do this in the name of love? Thats perverse! Sorry, the more I think about it the more insane it sounds.

    The power is to save souls. That's why Jesus had to die on the cross, to make you understand that God loves you. And you will obey him because you love him back.
    Were the executioners following orders too? Why do we condemn them for following orders? Judas should be praised, right? I'm not feeling the love, can God kill more people?

    Free will is just a rhetorical argument to make you understand that you are guilty for your sins. It doesn't make you innocent of sin as you are claiming. It's saying that you have a choice not to sin, therefore you are guilty of sin and need forgiveness for it.
    Did God create sin? Then guilt is shared, true?

    Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    True. That's why your libertarian way of understanding free will is wrong. As I already said. The concept of free will is so that you will understand your guilt and feel shame.
    Huh? I understand free will based on the definition. But you aint describing free will, thats called a conscience.

    Leave a comment:


  • giblets
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    I don't see why Gribbler is so insistant that Christ wasn't crucified on a Friday,
    I'm not, you keep misrepresenting whatever I say so **** off.

    Leave a comment:


  • Asher
    replied
    This is for Ben:

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    ên gar megalê hê hêmera ekeinou tou sabbatou,
    'for it was a great day of the sabbath,"

    Ok. I concede the point. Thanks.

    Still doesn't prove that the two texts contradict one another. It would make sense that the Sabbath of the passover would be a 'Great Sabbath' on the Saturday.

    I don't see why Gribbler is so insistant that Christ wasn't crucified on a Friday, as John and all the synopics say that he was. All their timelines are consistant with one another.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kitschum
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Thanks, I just quoted the first part which was the part that we were discussing.
    Not exactly, since you cut off the key line

    i.e.

    ên gar = for it was
    megalê hê hêmera = great day
    ekeinou tou sabbatou = of that sabbath

    or as KJV has it "(for that sabbath day was an high day)"

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    I'm not sure if this helps resolve the controversy you're having and that I don't even understand...
    Thanks, I just quoted the first part which was the part that we were discussing.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kidlicious
    replied
    Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
    If you murder someone, you've taken away their free will.
    True. That's why your libertarian way of understanding free will is wrong. As I already said. The concept of free will is so that you will understand your guilt and feel shame.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kidlicious
    replied
    Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
    frankly we wouldn't be that entertaining without free will. God dont settle for The Sims (I was watching Through the Wormhole)

    But that majority view appears to me to be in conflict with the Lord's Prayer. Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive others... sounds kinda like a requirement. Why will God forgive us if we refuse to forgive others? And if thats the case, our "salvation" aint a sure thing. Jesus didn't die for our sins, maybe Jesus died to show us a path, albeit rather narrow. Course the Christian argument here is that real Christians will forgive others, etc ie behave Christ-like so it aint really a requirement, it'll come natural to the real Christian. And that does make sense... I guess this is the old deeds vs faith argument, if you really have the faith, the deeds will flow unimpeded. Aint many people like that, but I have met a few I think.
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

    Do you understand the power of that verse? The power is to save souls. That's why Jesus had to die on the cross, to make you understand that God loves you. And you will obey him because you love him back.

    Free will is just a rhetorical argument to make you understand that you are guilty for your sins. It doesn't make you innocent of sin as you are claiming. It's saying that you have a choice not to sin, therefore you are guilty of sin and need forgiveness for it.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X