No announcement yet.

$1.2 Billion for bike paths...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get 28 minutes 22 seconds for the 10k, and 14 minutes 11 seconds for the 5k.

My best 10 k is around 48 minutes or so. My best at 5k is about 20 minutes. So you are basically a third faster. I'm pretty sure you aren't an inexperienced biker though.

So, assuming you paid 150 for the bike, plus another 100 for the helmet and the other accessories, you'd make that back in about a year's commute over me running 5k.

Plus you can't really run or ride in a Canadian winter. So it would take about 2 years to level.

Edit, ok. That's 12 and a half laps at the track. I'm curious myself how I would do at the 5k, a distance I don't really run all that often.

7.5-10k, yes.

800, 1600, 3000, yes.

But it's been some time since I've done a 5k.
    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; June 21, 2010, 15:39.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• I bike all winter. Although Canada has worse winters than Sweden.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I biked all winter this year. I took a break when it started raining in April.

SP
        I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

• I'll quite happily bike in heavy rain. Or the winter. Or both.

It's an occupational hazard here in Wales, so you're essentially a ***** if you let a little bit of bad weather stop you cycling...
          Last edited by MOBIUS; June 21, 2010, 17:05.
          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            Bike and time yourself roundtrip.

Then I'll be happy to concede I was wrong.
            You feel you need proof to concede you were wrong!!!! I have never taken more than an hour and half to complete the 38 km round trip ( have about 8 hours in between the legs LOL)-- Thats 25.3333 km/h (oh and things like traffic or waiting for a train are all part of the commute

In all my trips I have been overtaken by a runner exactly once. I passed him at the base of a dirt trail I go up and he passed me on the steepest section. I climbed behind him for maybe a minute or two, repassed and lost him as soon as we hit the next flat. I am routinely overtaken by bikers especially the ones on road bikes (I ride my full suspension MTB with the full knobby tires for the extra weight and workout).
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• You do that, I'll post my 5k and 10k times on the track, for the lulz.

Deal?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

You do that, I'll post my 5k and 10k times on the track, for the lulz.

Deal?
                huh ?? why just not concede you were wrong. Your quote was that running is faster etc etc when talking about people commuting to work.

THis is objectively false. Take any person at any given fitness level and they will bike a commute faster than they will run it. Your time or my time are really irrelevant
                Last edited by Flubber; June 21, 2010, 16:36.
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

So you are basically a third faster. I'm pretty sure you aren't an inexperienced biker though.

So biking is faster-- you aren't an inexperienced runner either

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

So, assuming you paid 150 for the bike, plus another 100 for the helmet and the other accessories, you'd make that back in about a year's commute over me running 5k.
                  Economics of biking is a different issue. I ride my bike for fun mostly-- The commute saving me transport costs is just gravy

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

Plus you can't really run or ride in a Canadian winter.
                  Since when? There are days or longer when riding is impossible or not usual due to cold or snow or whatnot but not that many if you have reasonable cold weather clothing

Comment

• Wow, Ben. Please stop. It's okay to admit you made a mistake, exaggerated, etc. There's no way in hell you're right. It's faster to bike across any reasonable distance and terrain than run. Flat out. You're not making any sense.

Also, you have to factor something else into the commute... overuse running injuries; shin splints, stress fractures, runner's knee, iliotibial band syndrome, etc. Not to mention what if you need to carry things to work... what if your job doesn't allow you to work in running shoes, etc. Extra weight will slow you down more significantly when you run than when you bike.
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      Wow, Ben. Please stop. It's okay to admit you made a mistake, exaggerated, etc. There's no way in hell you're right. It's faster to bike across any reasonable distance and terrain than run. Flat out. You're not making any sense.

Also, you have to factor something else into the commute... overuse running injuries; shin splints, stress fractures, runner's knee, iliotibial band syndrome, etc. Not to mention what if you need to carry things to work... what if your job doesn't allow you to work in running shoes, etc. Extra weight will slow you down more significantly when you run than when you bike.
                      Leave your work shoes at work-- People do need a change of clothes though-- I carry mine down in my knapsack

ben won't stop though-- He will hint at conceding he is wrong but I believe him incapable of it. He will start talking more about the economics of cycling or say that a runner wins at 100m or any number of other irrelevant things

Comment

• Oh and Ben, because I have a feeling you're going to discount the effect of over-use injuries... I can guarantee you that if you run 2x 5K-10K (round trip) 5 days a week, you're going to develop problems unless you have bones like Wolverine. 100K a week! Who ever does that much volume? That's like 62 miles a week!
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I already said a runner will beat a bicyclist at sprinting distances like 100m. I hope I pre-empted that stupid point.

Comment

• Not only that Touchdown Jesus is hideously pwned once again, but apparently in his world if you don't own a car or are incapable of running *reasonably fast* over 5km on a daily basis then essentially you're **** out of luck getting from A to B because he's certainly not going to help you!

What a selfish nasty minded c*nt Ben is...
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• I want to see Ben run 62 miles a week 50 weeks of the year.

Comment

• Take any person at any given fitness level and they will bike a commute faster than they will run it.

Deal. I'll run 5k and then bike 5k and post my times.

Comment

Working...
                                X