Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghaladh View Post
    I am sorry for him.

Those are really the most precious hints that can make the difference, especially considering that coming from Europe, we are not going to bring the car along with us. I saw the 4 different light rail tracks and all of them converge at Victory Station. Very useful.
    Union Station. Victory Station is an area of the same building that the pro basketball team uses.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
      Indians just like to be helpful.

It has to do with their subservient castle nature...right aneeshm? Serving the master?

(except if its a woman master, of course)
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

A Pakistani making fun of an Indian...

Sloww:
        No state tax? Are you serious? And what about city taxes though? Dallas wage tax should be pretty high if it's anything like Philly.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Also, I call bull**** on KH making it seem like it's impossible for an immigrant to get a job here. Maybe it becomes harder the higher up the job is but I've personally known dozens of immigrants who had no problem whatsoever getting jobs and even business licences to run their own business here in the US. Crap, it's like the standard thing for immigrants to do. Come here, work 70 hours a week raking in the dough to give remittances back home... not to mention all the small grocers and corner stores owned and ran by immigrants in every community.

It can't be hard at all.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

First thing, pay no attention to the ramblings of KH on most matters.

School taxes and property taxes for home owners. Sales tax, of course.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

No wage tax in Dallas?

Comment

I guess not, because I have no idea what you're talking about. Federal taxes and social security are held out.

Comment

? How do you not understand this? City tax... a city income tax... money that gets deducted from your paycheck and goes to the city of Dallas.

Comment

We don't have it. Will that do? I pretty much said that already.

Comment

How is that possible? How does the city of Dallas pay for services? Hell, you said there's no state tax either! How does the state of Texas do it?

Comment

Greatness? ****, I don't know.

Texas does not have a state income tax and Dallas does not impose payroll or income taxes. An 8.25% sales tax, which is a combination of city (1%), busing (1%) and state sales taxes (6.25%), applies to most retail purchases, except groceries and medicine.
                        UT Southwestern Medical Center is the No. 1 hospital in Dallas-Fort Worth for the eighth consecutive year and ranks among the nation's top hospitals for care in 11 specialties – the most in Texas for 2024-25 – according to U.S. News & World Report.

This is exactly why I don't understand California and their finance problems. I attribute it to fiscal irresponsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
                          Also, I call bull**** on KH making it seem like it's impossible for an immigrant to get a job here. Maybe it becomes harder the higher up the job is
                          No, it's exactly the opposite. Higher skill jobs = higher pay & much thinner labour market -> much easier to convince an employer that 10k and a couple of months delay is worth it

but I've personally known dozens of immigrants who had no problem whatsoever getting jobs and even business licences to run their own business here in the US.

And they were almost certainly permanent residents based on family connections, you ****ing ****.

You obviously have no ****ing clue how the immigration system of your country works.

If you have immediate family connections then getting permanent residency is simply a matter of filing and waiting for your place to come up. If you do not have immediate family connections, then here are the options available to you:

J1 visa: continuing education, training and research. Lasts 3 years, renewable for 2 more, is not a path to permanent residency. Generally granted to those with graduate degrees working at hospitals and universities in research positions. Unlimited numbers granted.

TN visa (Canada), aussie and mexican equivalents: lasts for 1-3 years. Can renew indefinitely, but is subject to judgment of immigration official. In practice, you are unlikely to get more than 1 renewal. Explicitly temporary, not a pathway to permanent residency. Temporary employment for specific classes of professionals. Unlimited numbers granted.

L1 visa: temporary transfer of an employee working internationally for a firm to the US. 3y+2y (technical expert) or 5y+2y (upper management). Dual intent (see below)

H1B visa: capped at ~120k per annum (20k specifically reserved for holders of a US graduate degree, 5k for citizens of Chile). Temporary 3years + renewal for another 3. Dual-intent visa, transferable from one employer to another. Dual-intent meaning that if an employer chooses to do so, he can apply for permanent residency, which brings us to:

E1-E5: employment based permanent residency. ~20k cap in each category per annum. E1: you need to have won a nobel prize, or be otherwise internationally recognized. E2: graduate degrees. E3: bachelor's degree. E4-E5: why bother? With 20k a year you're ****ed in this category. Employer needs to prove that there is NOBODY ELSE IN THE US ready and willing to take this job. E1 goes unfilled, E2 goes underfilled, E3 goes massively overfilled. If you're from India, China, the Philippines or Mexico, you are ****ed, because the wait times for these countries are ~10 years, and if you have attempted to transfer L1 or H1B, then you cannot change your job for these 10 years or you will be deported.

Crap, it's like the standard thing for immigrants to do. Come here, work 70 hours a week raking in the dough to give remittances back home... not to mention all the small grocers and corner stores owned and ran by immigrants in every community.

And those immigrants are, as stated previously, here by way of family ties. Not due to an employment based visa.

Oh, forgot to mention the "buy a green card" program. If you have 500k to burn on some **** investment which you can demonstrate will "create at least 10 jobs" then welcome to the US!

These are pretty much the only ways anybody can legally work in the US unless they have a mother, brother, or husband who is a US citizen.

It can't be hard at all.

Learn something before you open your mouth, boy.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Pennsylvania State Income Tax: 2.8% on earned and unearned income.
                            Philadelphia City Wage Tax: 4.86% on wages of residents, and 4.2256% on wages of non-residents.

And 8% sales tax.

Comment

Sucks to be you.

Comment

KH:

So you're saying all the Koreans, Dominicans, Sudanese, Iraqis, etc. that come here and open up corner stores and other small businesses all have family ties? I can tell you right now, that I have known guys who worked at my old job at a pizza place (owned by immigrants mind you) who did not have family here, worked as deliverymen, cooks, etc. around the clock, and after 2 years or so, returned to Egypt, Tunisia, etc. They weren't permanent residents.

Comment

Working...
                                X