Air purifier for apt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air purifier for apt

I am trying to cut down on the dust in my place and have therefore thought about one of those air purifier machines that I see from time to time. E.g.,

Oreck offers lightweight upright vacuums, bagless vacuums, convenient hand-held models, versatile steam mops and a family of air purifiers — products for every room in your home.

However, these products seem to have a hint of snake oil about them, so I wanted to hear if you've had any good or bad experiences with any of these purifiers, what I should look out for and avoid, etc.

Thanks!
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

I got a couple of the older models. They work pretty well and if you set them on the lowest setting they're extremely quiet. At that setting it'll take a few hours to clean the air and it's not as perfect as they advertise, but they do a respectable job. You'll have to clean them every 1-2 weeks, depending on the level of dust in your place.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Do you recall what brands that you have? Were any of them pieces of junk or pieces of gold?

I'm particular about the decibel levels in my place, and will buy with that at the top of my mind.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

This is the first time in my life I hear about something like this. Removes
        dust from the air? Errr... isn't the endeavor futile if you ever open your
        window?

Comment

Why would you open your window?

Comment

Vetlegion is the wrong kind of white people.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

They're Orecks, the tabletop kind. Don't remember which w/o seeing a pic (which isn't on the site from what I see so far). Could tell you when I go home. No UV light.

They are very quiet at the lowest setting. They seem to have the same effectiveness regardless of setting, but over longer times... so I leave them there. They clean the air around pretty well but they won't affect the stuff that makes it to the top of your sofa so you still gotta dust. One problem with them (my observation only) is that they will concentrate the floating stuff around them as they draw it in, making the air in the near vicinity worse than normal. So put it somewhere out of the way but still central enough to work.

Why would you open your window?

Does it matter? 80% of the stuff that you see floating in the air is exfoliated human skin, probably yours. And unless your apt is airtight some outside air will seep in.
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

we got an oreck and before that we had the floor cylinder type of air cleaner (suction with filters and louder). The latter probably worked better but the filters are expensive enough to be a consideration, especially at the manufacturers replacement schedule (which is probably rarely followed). The oreck is more like those towers that magnetically trap dust but the oreck does have some suction (quiet on low). Ours dont need filters much, just clean the dust off the metal plating let dry and reinstall... Thats a plus. And its several years old now, and it'll make a nasty sound like the bugzapper in The Waterboy when its in need of cleaning. I gotta imagine your local hardware home supply has something comparable for cheaper. Maybe even Walmart...

Comment

and it'll make a nasty sound like the bugzapper in The Waterboy when its in need of cleaning.

Yeah, mine does that too. When it's dirty the electricity arcs from the dust.

Comment

The top rated is in the mid Oreck price range.
                    Oreck offers lightweight upright vacuums, bagless vacuums, convenient hand-held models, versatile steam mops and a family of air purifiers — products for every room in your home.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I see that HEPA filters are sometimes mentioned. What does that mean and is it something that I should want?

Comment

Save money by wearing a sock over your head.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                          I see that HEPA filters are sometimes mentioned. What does that mean and is it something that I should want?
                          If allergens are an issue for you, then yes, you should. It's basically a grade of filter that removes finer irritants.
                          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

HEPA filter is a must for any decent unit, regardless of manufacturer.

Comment

My vacuum cleaner is HEPA.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X