• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow on the ground in 49 states

It will probably never happen again.

Hawaii is the holdout, but weather is still one for the record books

updated 7:36 p.m. MT, Fri., Feb. 12, 2010

Forget red and blue — color America white. There was snow on the ground in 49 states Friday. Hawaii was the holdout.

It was the United States of Snow, thanks to an unusual combination of weather patterns that dusted the U.S., including the skyscrapers of Dallas, the peach trees of Atlanta and the Florida Panhandle, where hurricanes are more common than snowflakes.

More than two-thirds of the nation's land mass had snow on the ground when the day dawned, and then it snowed ever so slightly in Florida to make it 49 states out of 50.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I got up for a few moments..we have between 4 and 5 inches so far..in southeastern North carolina..2.5 hours north of tthe South Carolina border..10 miles as crow flies to Atlantic Ocean....

Looks great...we will end up with maybe 6 or so inches predicted

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Hawaii... what a bunch of commies
      Monkey!!!

Comment

No snow on the mountains in Hawaii?
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
          It will probably never happen again.
          Unlikely.

Warmer winters mean more precipitation. Ask any Dakotan, Minnesotan, Yooper, or Canadian: there is such a thing as "too cold to snow".

Snow in 49 states simultaneously will still be unusual, but it will certainly happen again, probably at least once or twice this decade.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

If there's snow on the field, play ball!
            Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Yeah, global warming totally means more snow.

I can just see me sipping pina colada in November and wishing for a fridge.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

There was a discussion of that subject in today's WaPo. The very simplified version: warmer air will generally carry more moisture. Global warming does not mean it will not become cold enough for snow (indeed, as Guy says, very low temps make snow unlikely). Heavy snow is not at all incompatible with AGW models.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Heavy snow along the gulf coast is not the norm, nor will it be during the next decade.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Warmer winters mean more precipitation.

This isn't a warm winter. Record low temperatures are being set all over the place.

KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I agree Drake, we in southeastern North Carolina have had some very cold days this winter and several back to back.

Now this is not the end of the world, but for the south, it is certainly not normal.

Gramps
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

There's snow in the mountains in Hawaii - so it's all fifty states.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I had snow on my windshield that stuck for 15 seconds, does that count
                          Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                          Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                          Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                          You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            Heavy snow is not at all incompatible with AGW models.
                            I hope that no one takes one week or even one month of "weather" in a single country as proof of anything either way regarding "climate change". I hate how some people seem to think that a single warm or cold or snowy or rainy season proves anything. Weather varied greatly year to year a hundred years ago and it still does today.

Oh and here in Calgary we rarely get any snow when its colder. I haven't checked but anecdotally it seems we get most of our snow when the temp is within 10 degrees of freezing
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

wow i really care, dumbfuk
                              Order of the Fly
                              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                              X