Oh Canada...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Canada...

totally screwed up the initial torch lighting.

Canada.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Did the torch go out?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Best Olympics Ever.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

At least the roof didn't collapse at BC Place this time.

Vancouver.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Pathetic. Worst. Olympics. Ever.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

At least Calgary could light the torch.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I was very impressed with the opening ceremonies

Great start, and I look forward to the next two weeks

[action=Sparrowhawk][/action]
              "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

The worst and the most boring opening ceremony ever.

Really.
                Last edited by Serb; February 13, 2010, 09:49.

Comment

I didn't know that Irish folk dancing was actually Canadian.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

It isn't. There's nothing 'Canadian' in these games at all.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

It would have been better if they had the dancers stomping on baby seals.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I liked the part where they killed that luge guy.
                        What?

Comment

Originally posted by Serb View Post
                          The worst and the most boring opening ceremony ever.

Really.
                          Not enough slaughtering of Afghanis for Russian tastes?

Comment

STUPID PICTURE TIME!

APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

God damn, people in Vancouver are idiots...

Get the latest sports coverage, in-depth stats, highlights, and expert commentary on the NHL, NBA, NFL, CFL, MLB, MLS, UEFA Euro, Copa America, Olympic Games, and more.

Vancouver protest turns violent

Anti-Olympic protesters are clashing with police on the streets of Vancouver on the first full day of the 2010 Winter Games. As tensions escalate, police have taken out what looks like machine guns.

Vancouver Police say a group of more than 200 masked protesters have amassed in the downtown core, kicking and vandalizing cars and businesses. Lions Gate Bridge has been shut down in both directions.

Organizer Harsha Walia says there were several hundred protesters gathered in the downtown and witnesses say the windows of the HBC Olympic superstore were smashed.

Riot police in bright yellow vests moved in to break up the protest, and bicycle police have formed a line across one of the main streets in the downtown, and aerial cameras showed officers arresting some protesters.

The protesters, shouting obscenities and dressed in black, are marching up Georgia Street, pushing over mail boxes and newspaper boxes. At least one woman has been taken away by police.

The protesters appear to have abandoned all pretense of promoting any political agenda. A hooded protester determined to provoke the police fell down. As police moved in to hand cuff him, he pulled out a camera and started taking photos of the police. Police finally mobilized with batons and hard helmets.

A group of around 75 protesters broke off and turned down a side street. But they appeared lost and unsure what to do. Their lead drummer started up again. But the energy appeared to slip away. They began chanting "Our streets" but the chant quickly died down.

A bystander shouted out a comment. Four men in black tuques and black masks jumped on him. Other marchers pulled them off and they continued on their way. No police were around.

A group of 30 are now marching through the West End, after police picked off several stragglers. Some protesters dressed in black are slipping in alley ways and taking off their black clothes, stuffing them into knapsacks.

Representatives of the International Olympic Committee and Vancouver organizers jointly told a news conference they support protest as long as it is not violent.

"Where we draw the line and where I suspect Canadians draw the line is when people get violent," Mark Adams of the IOC told a daily briefing.

"The demonstrations I would characterize as being minor and dealt with properly," Mr. Adams told the briefing.

Renee Smith-Valaade of VANOC said organizers had confidence in current security plans.

Of the response to date, she said: "It has been swift and decisive and done in a way to respect those who would like to protest in a peaceful way."

Comment

Working...
                              X