No announcement yet.

So AAHZ bought CivRev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by ZEE; December 24, 2010, 08:32.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
      AAHZ is just that gangsta, sun.
      Gongstas are generally unethical
      APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

So it's Civ II with prettier pictures? I already own civ II.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

It's SP, right? That's what you're playing?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty View Post
                  I think civ players are forgetting their roots (or maybe they just weren't there at the beginning)

Civ Rev is streamlined and pacy, in a very similar way to the original civ. There may be less tech branchs, hit points, firepower stats and what not but strip that all away and you still have the core civ 4X principles.
                  What are the X's again? Explore, Expand, Exfoliate and Exterminate?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecofarm View Post
                    just spam catapults.
                    So very much like Civ 1 then.

Comment

I don't have a supported platform, so I won't be playing it any time soon, but it looks quite fun for a quick thrash. I agree with the point that by now Civ has got very complicated, with hundreds of variables to juggle, but AAHZ gives it away when he said that he looks forward to the next version with 'more depth'.

More depth is exactly what Civ games tend to get demanded of them by many players and what tends to happen. More depth = more variables = more complications. Demand and commercial incentive for expansions packs sees new features which don't necessarily improve the game. BTS, which has many positive little tweaks, is a good example. The espionage system becomes yet another thing you have to juggle and even turning it off means you still have to build the new buildings in border cities, as they become culture builds instead.

I liked the original Spy in Civ 4. You built a little spy and sent him in to look at cities. Perfect. Now, to see inside an enemy city I have to plough insane amounts of my economy into accruing Espionage points against an AI (who can often pour all of his points against me because the AI's frequently never spend against each other, only on the human).

Ill go so far as to say that Soren Johnson is the single reason Apolyton fell apart based on his failed products of Civ 3 and 4.

This is nonsense. Apolyton's golden age was the Civ 3 strategy forum. Those who rejected the game before the buggy corruption was patched missed out.
                      Last edited by Cort Haus; February 14, 2010, 08:58. Reason: Edit - nostalgia for the original Civ 4 spy added.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                        This should probably not be in OT. Doesn't CivRev have its own forum here?
                        It should definitely be in OT. Apart from the drunken ranting and flaming, the OP does touch a legitimate debate about what Civ games should be like. The OT does consist of Civ players after all, and burying the question on a specific game forum won't get it discussed on here, which I think it should.

Calling Soren a moron obviously does little for the tone of the debate, and is unlikely to get him to participate, but then again, this is the poly OT. :-\

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
                          It seems a combo of a hard hitting offensive unit and a good defensive unit is the secret to taking cities.
                          Archers and catapults.
                          Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Send me your email AAHZ, and I'll send you civ2.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 24, 2010, 08:33.
                              Order of the Fly

Comment

Umm, ok.

Always happy to share civ with people.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X