Humanure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From your article, Oerdin:

Peter Melchett, policy director at the Soil Association said they were disappointed with the conclusions.

"The review rejected almost all of the existing studies of comparisons between organic and non-organic nutritional differences.

"Although the researchers say that the differences between organic and non-organic food are not 'important', due to the relatively few studies, they report in their analysis that there are higher levels of beneficial nutrients in organic compared to non-organic foods.

"Without large-scale, longitudinal research it is difficult to come to far-reaching clear conclusions on this, which was acknowledged by the authors of the FSA review.

"Also, there is not sufficient research on the long-term effects of pesticides on human health," he added.

I think I'm gonna have to go with the crowd on this and just write you off.

FWIW, the title of the article is not "Organic food has no health benefits"; that's the title of the articles by the BBC, Reuters, etc. The ACTUAL title of the article is:

Comparison of composition (nutrients and other substances) of organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs: a systematic review of the available literature
    Food Standards Agency makes sure food is safe and what it says it is.

They started with 3558 articles, lowered that to 162 and then used only 55.

From the article itself:

Significant differences in content between organically and conventionally produced crops were found in some minerals (nitrogen higher in conventional crops; magnesium and zinc higher in organic crops), phytochemicals (phenolic compounds and flavonoids higher in organic crops) and sugars (higher in organic crops).

For animal products they ONLY looked at saturated fat, nitrogen and ash. There was no consideration for cholesterol, amino acids, or other micro-nutrients.

Ultimately, the study only concluded that we have insufficient research on the subject. This is because the organic market has only become significant in the last 20 years.

Snide remark: I bet the only other journal article that Oerdin (and the other idiots in this thread) know is the Lancet one about Iraq casualties. This illustrates how much damage a single fraudulant article in a journal can do.

For now, I'm just going to call them idiots on this subject. We'll see how other topics go before I totally condemn him/them as most others have.
    Last edited by Ecofarm; February 13, 2010, 11:38.
    Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Originally posted by Ecofarm View Post

Snide remark: I bet the only other journal article that Oerdin (and the other idiots in this thread) know is the Lancet one about Iraq casualties. This illustrates how much damage a single fraudulant article in a journal can do.
      Aren't they the ones that published the bogus vaccine/autism link article?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I'd like to remind you guys that Ecofarm thinks that SARS was caused by GM foods, so take that into mind.
        "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
        "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
        Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Clearly we should be taking advice from him.

Ecofarm, you just can't avoid the key sentence which is the thesis of the whole damn article. Namely this one:

Among the 55 of 162 studies that were included in the final analysis, there were a small number of differences in nutrition between organic and conventionally produced food but not large enough to be of any public health relevance
          As I, and several others, have pointed out yes there is some very small differences but those differences are so tiny that they do not have any relevance to public health.
          Last edited by Dinner; February 13, 2010, 17:08.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'd like to remind

I would like to remind us that Ecofarm has a BA Environmental Studies (Florida International U), MSc International Environmental Science (Lund, Sweden) and is about to become a PhD. candidate Interdisiplinary Ecology (tropical mountain subsistence agriculture specializing gender studies).

My quals in 2 weeks!

Paratrooper (3/505th PIR) Aug 89 - 94.

Vegan since 2k

It's not like I barely heard of organic stuff.
            Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Working...
            X