Help Kiddy Choose a Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Kiddy Choose a Church

This is your chance to get me to go to your church, or to not go to a church if you like. You can try to convince me to be a secularist, Hindu or whatever. You will waste your time, but go ahead. I need some Christians to help me choose a church to go to though. What church to you member at, and why?
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

I am a Seventh Day Adventist. This is because I was raised that way and because I do think they have many doctrines right (Like that the Sabbath is the seventh day). However, they tend towards focusing on not sinning rather than focusing on following Christ and letting Christ live within them. Also, I definitely disagree with some points and also on how to practice some points. There are some doctrines that some tend to have which I also disagree with strongly. There are many SDA churches I would not attend. I would only suggest them if there is a good one you feel comfortable in your area.

The official description of Seventh-day Adventists’ interpretation and practice of the major themes in Scripture, organized into 28 Fundamental Beliefs.

I generally don't think that any specific church has it 'perfect'. I would recommend finding one where (some of) the people follow Christ, where they support your walk with Christ, where you feel comfortable, and where you are not too often in disagreement with the preaching.

Jon
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm a Catholic. I have in the past attended the Anglican church and then later the Mennonite church. Why? I believe them to be the historical church referred to by Peter, and that they were the ones established by Christ, who have put St. Peter and his successors as their head. I believe they have the correct understanding of the Gospel and the important social teachings of today. I also believe that the reason they are so fiercely persecuted by the secular world is because they have it right.

I'd love for you to go, but you'd have to be willing to follow the rules, so I don't know if that's for you.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        Catholic[s]...are so fiercely persecuted by the secular world
        Unbelievable!

Comment

I think that it is obvious that the church that is referred to in the Bible is the community of all believers in Jesus Christ.

Something my denomination gets wrong at times too.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Darius, they were the only folks who were spraypainted when I attended UBC. That made a real impression on me.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I think that it is obvious that the church that is referred to in the Bible is the community of all believers in Jesus Christ.
              Well of course, you aren't Catholic. If you were, you'd see things otherwise. I personally believe that the evidence is right there in people's face, but they choose not to see it for their own reasons.

Surprised you'd recommend a church that you personally don't like and have decided to throw under the bus.

Comment

I attend it? I just can recognize the problems in my own denomination and others.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I think you should join one of the more rational denominations, not one of those charismatic ones or whatever they are called, like pentecostals or baptists. Try to find one with fewer arbitrary rituals, where the followers are not discouraged to use reason.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I attend it? I just can recognize the problems in my own denomination and others.
                    Understandable, but it's this part that raised my eyebrows.

There are some doctrines that some tend to have which I also disagree with strongly
                    It doesn't sound like these are small issues.

Comment

There are some adventists who seem to believe that the SDA church is the remnant church, and that only SDA's are Christians.

Most do not (I think) believe this.

The church officially doesn't believe this.

But some do. And you can go to particular churches where that is the majority view.

I don't think I could go to such a church.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Ok.

Just to be clear here, I don't believe that only Catholics are true Christians. I do believe that the Catholic church has the fullness of the Christian faith, and moreso than other denominations. I believe you don't need the Church at all to be saved. What I do believe is that the Catholics are the church referred to by Paul in the epistles, and that they were established by Christ.

I don't believe in 'remnant' at all because the Church was never lost.

Comment

Well, giving my two cents for my own church, the Orthodox Church can lay the best claim (aside from very minor religions such as the Copts and various minor Oriental sects) to worshiping in the manner closest to that of the early church, and we retain most of the structure. We have no cases of pederasty that I know of, and no Pope, which I personally see as a plus--decisions are made by a synod, a council of bishops voting. The autocratic power of the Pope is a departure from holy tradition, and incorrect.

Also no immaculate conception, purgatory, or anything like that; we subscribe to a less rigid and legalistic interpretation of things, and we're content to let mysteries remain mysteries rather than fill the gaps with speculation and call it truth. In general attitude we're almost like Catholicism crossed with Buddhism. One of the most important distinctions to my mind, and one rarely mentioned, is that we reject the satisfaction doctrine of the atonement. It's amazing to me how many people believe Christ died for something totally contrary to His own teachings.

Enter MOBIUS with his usual illogical "religious people disagree, obviously they're all wrong" schtick...
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

If I went traditional, and wanted a major denomination, I would probably go Orthodox.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I know I'm not here much anymore, but when did Kid become a christian?
                              The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Working...
                              X