ABC News: Secret 'Jesus' Bible Codes on ACOGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sprayber View Post
    Having bible verses associated with instruments of death has always been distasteful in my opinion. I won't get all upset about it because the military is full of that stuff regardless if the brass officially approves of it or not. I can see however where it would not be expedient for the US military to be projecting this kind of stuff while in a Muslim country. It isn't about giving in to Muslim retards, its about having a little common sense about what your displaying. The Pentagon will have to decide if it is worth the problems created to keep the equipment and the company will have to decide if it is worth the expense on keeping the verses.
    Thank you.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
      Yeah, it's not like there isn't already widespread suspicion throughout the Muslim world that the USA is engaging in a religious conflict with a goal is to oppress Islam. So I can't imagine how this would POSSIBLY reinforce that idea, nooooo.
      Did you know that the US Military dropped Islamic propaganda from airplanes when Russia was at war in Afganistan?

The motivation of the US Military is pretty obvious to everyone.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        Christians are not likely to be welcomed into Muslim societies, even though Muslims are welcome in Christian societies, or should at least be.

Comment

to Sprayber's post. That's it in a nutshell. No need to freak out about it, but this is dump and bad from (at the least) a PR perspective.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Christians aren't nearly as hateful of Muslims as Muslims are of Christians.

QFT
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

If the the moose limbs complain about this, we should up the ante with "hollow-point" bullets full of pig blood.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

[Q=Imran Siddiqui;5738449]Because of a little thing called the Constitution and military rules prohibiting this type of thing...[/Q] No, I don't see anything in the Constitution requiring military provisions to be purged of all references to religion.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  Christians are not likely to be welcomed into Muslim societies, even though Muslims are welcome in Christian societies, or should at least be.
                  Shall we take a historical view of this? Such as how welcome Muslims were in Christian countries in the Middle Ages? Because, let's face it, modern Western society is more secular humanist.

Originally posted by Straybow View Post
                  [Q=Imran Siddiqui;5738449]Because of a little thing called the Constitution and military rules prohibiting this type of thing...[/Q] No, I don't see anything in the Constitution requiring military provisions to be purged of all references to religion.
                  Aside from, of course, the Establishment Clause? Aside from a law declaring X church is the Church of the US, I can't think of many things more egregiously violating the clause than putting references to verses on the weapons the US military uses!
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

establishing religion means legislating participation, like a law requiring you to tithe, or attend sunday sermons, etc. This is akin to "In God We Trust" on coins, they're mere words and make no demands upon me.

Comment

Aside from, of course, the Establishment Clause? Aside from a law declaring X church is the Church of the US, I can't think of many things more egregiously violating the clause than putting references to verses on the weapons the US military uses!
                      Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Congress hasn't made a law that requires there to be biblical codes on rifle scopes. However, it is specifically forbidden from prohibiting the free exercise of religion, which might just include inscribing scopes with bible codes. Seems to me like the Establishment clause doesn't require the government to become a censor of contractor's beliefs.

It doesn't matter though, Trijicon backed down.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

This isn't a constitutional issue, unless, of course, the military specified the "verse codes," which doesn't seem to be the case. The issue is Trijicon's tacky, distasteful behavior, similar to the despicable act Ben admitted to earlier in the thread (slipping "subtle" religious messages into ad materials, presumably done for paying clients). Your customers are not paying to be the vehicle for your personal beliefs. Just do the damn job you were asked to do and spread whatever message you want on your dime.
                        Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Shall we take a historical view of this? Such as how welcome Muslims were in Christian countries in the Middle Ages? Because, let's face it, modern Western society is more secular humanist.
                          78.5% of Americans call themselves Christian. Only 16.1% call themselves some sort of secular.

And I was indeed talking about Christians today, and not Christians that lived a long time ago.

Comment

Modern European society is far more secular humanist than America, and they have a bigger problem with Muslims than we do. You don't see us banning minarets or burqas, and our Muslims for the most part integrate properly rather than rioting in the street. If any of our politicians screeched about Islam being a terrorist cult or whatever the Dutch right wing is spewing now, he'd be pretty well forced to apologize. The closest they can get away with is accepting support from nutjobs like Pat Robertson, and even that's iffy.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                            X