7.0 Magnitude earthquake hits Haiti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.0 Magnitude earthquake hits Haiti

(CNN) -- A major earthquake struck southern Haiti on Tuesday, knocking down buildings and inflicting a catastrophe on the impoverished Caribbean nation, its ambassador to the United States said.

"The only thing I can do now is pray and hope for the best," the ambassador, Raymond Joseph, told CNN.

The magnitude 7.0 quake struck about 10 miles (15 kilometers) southwest of the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince shortly before 5 p.m. Joseph said he had little information about the extent of damage from the quake, but one government official -- the only one he was able to reach -- told him houses had crumbled "on the right side of the street and the left side of the street."

"He said it is a catastrophe of major proportions," Joseph said.

Are you there? Submit an iReport

A hospital collapsed from the quake, The Associated Press reported.

Frank Williams, the Haitian director of the relief agency World Vision International, said the quake left people "pretty much screaming" all around Port-au-Prince. He said the agency's building shook for about 35 seconds, "and portions of things on the building fell off."

Video: 7.0 quake in Haiti

Interactive: Measuring earthquakes
    RELATED TOPICS
    Earthquakes
    Haiti
    "None of our staff were injured, but lots of walls are falling down," Williams said. "Many of our staff have tried to leave, but were unsuccessful because the walls from buildings and private residences are falling into the streets, so that it has pretty much blocked significantly most of the traffic."

The quake was centered about 6 miles (10 kilometers) underground, according to the USGS. A magnitude 5.9 aftershock followed soon afterward, about 30 miles further west, followed by a 5.5 aftershock closer to the location of the first quake.

"There is a kind of wail as people are very frightened by it," Williams said of the aftershocks. "But most people are out in the streets and just kind of looking up."

A tsunami watch was posted for Haiti and parts of Cuba, the Dominican Republic and the Bahamas, but there was no indication that a tsunami had been generated. Historical data suggested a destructive, widespread tsunami was not a threat, the USGS reported.

The quake could be felt strongly in the eastern Cuban city of Santiago, about 250 miles west of Port-au-Prince.

"It was very strong. It lasted for almost a minute," said Marlon Romaguera, who runs a bed-and-breakfast there.
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

God must really hate the **** out of Haiti. Ugh.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Felt in the Dominican Republic and Cuba. Yikes.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

How common are earthquakes in Caribbean area? Because I cannot remember when was the last time it hit that region.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

From a Google search on "How common are earthquakes in Caribbean area", more likely than one would think.

What natural disasters are common in the Carribean? | Smart QandA ...
          Volcanic activity and earthquakes are common in the Caribbean, as are destructive hurricanes that originate over the sea or in the Atlantic. ...
          qanda.encyclopedia.com/.../natural-disasters-common-carribean-122150.html - Cached - Similar -
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

BBC is saying it was a 7.3 magnitude, with several aftershocks in the 4-5 range.

ABC's twitter feed says the Presidential Palace collapsed. Buildings also collapsed around the U.S. Embassy, but it was not apparent the embassy itself collapsed.

Communications are virtually nil, and night has fallen while power remains out over most of the country.

This is going to be very bad...
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

One of my good friend's mothers is currently in Haiti, part of Doctors Without Borders. He hasn't heard from her yet. I think I'm going to go and get him some booze...
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Probably difficult to get word out. Here's hoping for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                  One of my good friend's mothers is currently in Haiti, part of Doctors Without Borders. He hasn't heard from her yet. I think I'm going to go and get him some booze...
                  Boris

I was blessed to share a flight from Houston Texas to Telgulcigalpa Honduras with a group from Doctors without Borders. My heart thinks of the deplorable conditions in Honduras and imagine they must be at least that bad in Haiti

Gramps

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    Probably difficult to get word out. Here's hoping for the best.
                    On one of the evening news programs, a mission member stationed there sstated the phones are down but the internet..a.ka. Facebook,twitter and other social networks haave had some communication, none encouraging

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post

ABC's twitter feed says the Presidential Palace collapsed. Buildings also collapsed around the U.S. Embassy, but it was not apparent the embassy itself collapsed.

Fox is reporting suspected Al Qaeda links.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

**** thats all they needed

they are on a plate boundary I think, albeit not as active

ouch

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
                          Boris

I was blessed to share a flight from Houston Texas to Telgulcigalpa Honduras with a group from Doctors without Borders. My heart thinks of the deplorable conditions in Honduras and imagine they must be at least that bad in Haiti

Gramps
                          Probably worse. Haiti is supposed to be the poorest country in the western hemisphere. As it happened, my mother had left Haiti just hours before the quake hit (she likes to play "Mere Noel" for an orphanage; long story). Close one...poor Haitians don't deserve this crap though.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Amen Elok!, glad your Mom got out, so sorry for what happened though

Comment

And the only hospital in town collapsed... Ouch.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X