Will a day come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a day come...

... when Westerners envy the freedoms enjoyed by the Chinese? Or will China become even more represive in the future preventing Western countries from ever catching up with its censorship, crimethink laws and political represion?
    Yes, China will probably be more free than the West some time in the future.
    22.73%
    No, China will always be more represive than the West.
    63.64%
    I like voting in polls
    13.64%
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Invalid poll

Comment

I don't know about China, but the West has been on a steady trajectory of stealth-authoritarianism for years now.

Comment

The Canadian Empire will be cruel.
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
          I don't know about China, but the West has been on a steady trajectory of stealth-authoritarianism for years now.
          +1

The sad part is that as democracies we have no one to blame for this but ourselves.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Yes, Obama is the hallmark of authoritarianism.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

China will always (<-- meaning foreseeable future) be more authoritarian. The
              Chinese, at least those I spoke to in Beijing in 2008, seem to willingly accept a
              higher degree of authoritarianism. Their elites promote it ("harmonious society"),
              their movies endorse it ("Hero") and the people seem to agree that some things
              have to be sacrificed in order to prevent chaos.

It's not hard to understand their point. Chaotic periods have always been very
              costly in China, in terms of human lives.

Comment

Both China and Russia have culture that are more accepting of authority than ones based on French/British ideals/etc.

So for the forseeable future western world will be more free.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

For the foreseeable forever.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                    Both China and Russia have culture that are more accepting of authority than ones based on French/British ideals/etc.

So for the forseeable future western world will be more free.

JM
                    I don't know France was an Absolutist Monarchy until the revolution and even afterward its periods of prospeirty where marked by rather centralized power structures and a weak division of the three branches of government.
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Yeah, but France can't do anything right. They're on their sixth republic since 1790. Or is it seventh? Who knows. Anyway, I could just as easily point to Iceland, which has been some sort of extremely boring libertarian quasi-democracy since dinosaurs ruled the earth.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

All Nordic countries are neat and boring. Actually all Nordic people everywhere are neat and boring.

Comment

Damn those neat and boring Vikings.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Sounds crazy, but you have to "never say never"; theoretically, it's possible. 15 years ago, if someone would've said to me that by 2010, elections in Sweden would have more voter control and fraud than elections in Russia, I would've presumed him to be completely insane.

Comment

I still would given the last Russian election had so much wide spread fraud there was something like 15% more ballots cast there there are people in the country.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X