American Thanksgiving: European Reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Thanksgiving: European Reflections

How do you feel about our, US, Thanksgiving Holiday?

Do feel angry that in some small way it signaled a new age of colonialism followed by a sweeping degraded of colonialism, rise of Western influence, and your eventual fall of power?

Do you feel disgusted that us fat Americans would actually have a holiday that celebrates feasting and football which is not soccer?

Are you indifferent, and wonder why Canadians have Thanksgiving in Februtober?

Are you Thankful in that the US markets are closed and we can't do anything on that day to screw up the world economy?
    Monkey!!!

The Canadian thanksgiving makes more sense as it coincides with the harvest.

Also, the US thanksgiving is too close to Christmas. TOO MUCH TURKEY within a month or so.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

We have ham at Christmas. Or a nice crown roast.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

That's just ****ed up. The shame.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The ham is to taunt Jesus of course.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

And of course, Jews have Chinese on Christmas.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I have Chinese on Christmas eve every year.

Christmas day is TURKEY DAY pt 2.

Comment

What's this "too much turkey" balderdash?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas ham.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I would love to celebrate the US Thanksgivings down there.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'd love it as well.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

My dad (formerly Canadian, originally a Brit), during a conversation with a sister-in-law across the pond said (just to mess with me, I've no doubt) "They have funny Thanksgiving in America, you know. And they thank themselves."

I got a chuckle out of that last bit. Ah, my dad. A natural troll born long before his time...

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

You should twitter your dad

LINK
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Awesome
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
                              How do you feel about our, US, Thanksgiving Holiday?

Do feel angry that in some small way it signaled a new age of colonialism followed by a sweeping degraded of colonialism, rise of Western influence, and your eventual fall of power?

Do you feel disgusted that us fat Americans would actually have a holiday that celebrates feasting and football which is not soccer?

Are you indifferent, and wonder why Canadians have Thanksgiving in Februtober?

Are you Thankful in that the US markets are closed and we can't do anything on that day to screw up the world economy?
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X