Lest We Forget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
    MEMORIAL Day. Asher, think! You don't have a memorial for the living.
    Don't think you understood what I meant.

Memorial day should be today because the veterans of the war the day signifies are no longer with us, in most cases.

The date is very important.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

In Euopre we normally use today to honor the fallen in the different wars
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
        Not as important for Americans. For us, it's just another government holiday. Our involvement in the war was pretty limited, and our total deaths were 20% of what we had in the Civil War (the basis for Memorial Day).

Honestly, if you polled most Americans I doubt they would be able to tell you even basic facts about WWI (major powers involved, what sides they were on, when it took place, etc.) Same holds true for most things, but WWI is seriously dwarfed in the American imagination by the Civil War and WWII.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
          Don't think you understood what I meant.

Memorial day should be today because the veterans of the war the day signifies are no longer with us, in most cases.

I think their date for the fallen is linked to the civil war.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Yeah, the First World War is a very different experience for Americans than for the Commonwealth. It was our 'coming of age' so to speak.

And I want to thank asher for paying his respects.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You never miss an opportunity to piss me off. Why the hell do you need to thank me for paying my respects? I've got friends and family in the military and both sides of my family were in both world wars. What a jerk.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'm giving you a shout out Asher. Props.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The point is you are in no moral position to congratulate other people for basic human decency. The fact that you think you are is insulting.

Comment

Working...
                  X