A different kind of Fort Hood thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different kind of Fort Hood thread

A couple of things have been on my mind recently. For starters, why do we have memorial threads for the dead at Fort Hood, but not for all the other soldiers who die every day in combat? A dead U.S. soldier is a dead U.S. soldier regardless of where s/he dies, and I should think it would be equally bad either way. The only difference I can see is that one is away from a combat zone, and therefore the people there had no cause to believe their lives were in danger at the moment. But I don't see how that makes their deaths more tragic or sad than a trooper in Afghanistan or Iraq getting shot by a Kalashnikov or blown up by an IED. Is it simply that the Fort Hood attack was bigger news than the steady stream of death in the papers that we've all become sort of numb to (to some extent, at least)? Is that why all our flags are at half-staff?

Second, assuming this Hasan fellow was in fact motivated by sympathy for/collusion with extremists, does the Fort Hood attack qualify as terrorism, or any other kind of despicable/"cowardly" act (as I've heard people call it IRL)? Tragic, yes, but think about it: if U.S. troops had managed to infiltrate a Taliban base in Afghanistan and blown it to smithereens (I'm assuming our troops wouldn't just go on a rampage like Hasan did), we'd all be saying something along the lines of "****in' A!" The fact that it was a sneak attack would be irrelevant; this is war. If you catch the enemy in a place where he isn't expecting to be attacked, so much the better for you, so much the worse for him. Assuming you only target soldiers, that is--but even that is debatable. We still argue about Dresden and Hiroshima. I don't know current international standards on terrorism or war crimes. What say you?

And no, I'm not trolling, though I expect this will get a little heated.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Do you want the honest truth or a troll answer? Doesn't matter, they're the same

Originally posted by Elok View Post
    A couple of things have been on my mind recently. For starters, why do we have memorial threads for the dead at Fort Hood, but not for all the other soldiers who die every day in combat?
    The kind of people who make these threads have agendas. The dead in Fort Hood are victims of terrorism -- particularly of those damned Arabs at home. They need to sensationalize the deaths to drum up fear and uncertainty on the homefront to justify the war in Iraq/Afghanistan.

The dead soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan represent military failure. Something to be forgotten, not remembered or memorialized.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I tried to make a thread for those who died in Texas shootouts and you all saw what happened to that.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

If it's not a damned eh-rab doing the shooting, we don't wanna hear of it.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I honestly don't know the purpose of a memorial thread for somebody who nobody here knew personally or professionally and/or who wasn't famous prior to their death. All I know is that this latest bout of memorial threads is a very poor reflection on some of our posters.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

This from the poster with an avatar of dick-kim-possible
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              The kind of people who make these threads have agendas. The dead in Fort Hood are victims of terrorism -- particularly of those damned Arabs at home. They need to sensationalize the deaths to drum up fear and uncertainty on the homefront to justify the war in Iraq/Afghanistan.
              It's actually none of those things, I don't know who you are talking about. It is however a great example of how backwards many Muslims are. The morning of the shooting, this guy (who is really fugly) was decked out in what looks like a Halloween costume and dishing out Qurans instead of candy.

Comment

Second, assuming this Hasan fellow was in fact motivated by sympathy for/collusion with extremists, does the Fort Hood attack qualify as terrorism, or any other kind of despicable/"cowardly" act (as I've heard people call it IRL)? Tragic, yes, but think about it: if U.S. troops had managed to infiltrate a Taliban base in Afghanistan and blown it to smithereens (I'm assuming our troops wouldn't just go on a rampage like Hasan did), we'd all be saying something along the lines of "****in' A!" The fact that it was a sneak attack would be irrelevant; this is war. If you catch the enemy in a place where he isn't expecting to be attacked, so much the better for you, so much the worse for him. Assuming you only target soldiers, that is
                Why even ask the question? Nobody here but Ben would seriously argue with you on this...
                Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                  This from the poster with an avatar of dick-kim-possible
                  If dickgirl Kim Possible is wrong then I don't want to be right.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

A couple of things have been on my mind recently. For starters, why do we have memorial threads for the dead at Fort Hood, but not for all the other soldiers who die every day in combat?
                    Given how Poly has responded to the memorial thread for the Ft. Hood, you are surprised that there haven't been memorials previous? I have counted 1, and only 1 actual appropriate response.

If folks desire a memorial thread, or wish to do so, I personally will encourage them. I was asking the question myself lately, why is this the first time.

I would love to see another poster take it on, but if no one wants to, and there is demand for it I would be happy to do one for each. Perhaps it would go a long way to mitigate the unwarranted hostility. Of course, I would like to see it done as I've done it, with respect to the soldiers and to honour them.

I fear that the threads would simply degenerate, by those who want to put their own two cents in.

Why Fort Hood? For me it was because of the where, but also because of the scope. I don't believe there's been an attack on an american military installation resulting in the death of 13 soldiers since 9-11, and before that, since Pearl Harbour.

Second, assuming this Hasan fellow was in fact motivated by sympathy for/collusion with extremists, does the Fort Hood attack qualify as terrorism, or any other kind of despicable/"cowardly" act (as I've heard people call it IRL)?
                    It is cowardly, because the Jihadi knew full well that he was shooting unarmed soldiers, most of whom were not prepared for combat. He fired armour piercing bullets of a calibre designed to penetrate armour, he carried extra clips to increase the body count. Where is the honour in that? If he sincerely wished to test his mettle, there are hundreds of different ways to do so on base without killing your fellow servicemembers.

Tragic, yes, but think about it: if U.S. troops had managed to infiltrate a Taliban base in Afghanistan and blown it to smithereens (I'm assuming our troops wouldn't just go on a rampage like Hasan did), we'd all be saying something along the lines of "****in' A!"
                    Elok, I dearly hope you aren't saying that you believe it to be a good thing. This man was a doctor. All his schooling has been paid for by the American taxpayer, who had amounts, of likely several million dollars invested in this man. He took on the uniform of an american soldier, and professed that he would serve in defense of the United States. Perhaps one day some time ago he truly believed in this, but perhaps he never did, I do not know. All I know is that good men and women are dead today, because of his decision to massacre them.

The fact that it was a sneak attack would be irrelevant; this is war. If you catch the enemy in a place where he isn't expecting to be attacked, so much the better for you, so much the worse for him. Assuming you only target soldiers, that is--but even that is debatable. We still argue about Dresden and Hiroshima. I don't know current international standards on terrorism or war crimes. What say you?
                    My thoughts are that you hang traitors. This man is no different than Benedict Arnold, except the fact that Benedict Arnold was a true and faithful servant of the republic for many years. I expect that anyone worthy of the name 'American' will agree, if not in the method, but in the concept.

And yes, you are right. I expect that the enemies of America both within and without will cheer this act on, perhaps with divine retribution. Again, I dearly hope you are not one of these, Elok.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Christ

Comment

For starters, why do we have memorial threads for the dead at Fort Hood, but not for all the other soldiers who die every day in combat?
                        The poster community here is too immature and spiteful for such.
                        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          Given how Poly has responded to the memorial thread for the Ft. Hood, you are surprised that there haven't been memorials previous? I have counted 1, and only 1 actual appropriate response.

If folks desire a memorial thread, or wish to do so, I personally will encourage them. I was asking the question myself lately, why is this the first time.

I would love to see another poster take it on, but if no one wants to, and there is demand for it I would be happy to do one for each. Perhaps it would go a long way to mitigate the unwarranted hostility. Of course, I would like to see it done as I've done it, with respect to the soldiers and to honour them.
                          You're the one that trashed a memorial thread simply because it wasn't started by you. After you shat all over that one, another memorial thread had to be created specifically to be free of your taint. However, you still felt the need to make your own rather than contribute positively to that one. Clearly, your intentions were never about honoring the dead.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola View Post
                            The poster community here is too immature and spiteful for such.
                            More accurately, the server wouldn't be able to handle the load.

I don't see those threads at CFC either, so...

Comment

They need to sensationalize the deaths to drum up fear and uncertainty on the homefront to justify the war in Iraq/Afghanistan.

3/10
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X