Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk stupidity: Canadians up in arms because NHL team gets H1N1 vaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk stupidity: Canadians up in arms because NHL team gets H1N1 vaccinated

Flames take heat for flu shots

Alberta government orders investigation into how NHL players and their families scored treatment at special clinic

The Alberta government has launched an investigation into how members of the Calgary Flames and their families scored swine flu shots at a special clinic as thousands of people waited in line for the vaccine or were turned away.

Premier Ed Stelmach said Alberta Health Services is looking into what happened.

“I can’t speculate on what happened, but we will have a full report very shortly.”

Ken King, president of the NHL club, said the players and their families received their shots on Friday at a private location. He said the organization contacted Alberta Health Services and requested the clinic based on the guidelines available at the time.

“Our organization and our medical staff felt that our players should receive the vaccination, given the risks associated with frequent physical contact, extreme exertion and onerous domestic and cross-border travel,” King said in a statement Tuesday.

The team’s doctors worked with Alberta Health Services to assess the risk to players and the “potential commotion and intrusion that sending the team to one of the locations would cause.”

“Our players did not seek to either avoid lineups or get special attention.”

The revelation is one more hit for the Alberta government, which is facing mounting criticism for the way it has managed its swine flu vaccination program.

Initially, anyone who came to one of the mass clinics set up across the province was vaccinated. But that led to huge lineups and the clinics have been closed since the weekend so the plan could be rejigged to focus on high-risk patients.

Opposition politicians said the hockey players should not have been given special treatment while thousands of Albertans waited for hours at clinics.

“It’s a failure of leadership that we are providing vaccines willy-nilly to whoever has money, to whoever has access, when cancer patients, when chronic lung patients, when pregnant women and their children can’t get it,” charged Alberta Liberal Leader David Swann.

“It’s a violation of the basic principles of public health care.”

Edmonton Oilers general manager Steve Tambellini told globesports.com hockey columnist Eric Duhatschek on Monday that the team was waiting to be vaccinated.

“We’re waiting like a lot of people for access to the vaccine,'' Tambellini said. "I don’t know when we’re going to be able to get it. Hopefully soon.”

As many as Oilers eight players – from defenceman Ladislav Smid, the only confirmed case of the H1N1 strain on the team to centre Shawn Horcoff - have been affected to some degree by the flu.

The Oilers have followed all the NHL’s protocols to minimize the spread of flu through the team. In fact, according to Tambellini, they took the proactive step of introducing precautionary measures back in training camp already, knowing that H1N1 could be an issue that they’d need to deal with.

“This isn’t something that just happened to us,” said Tambellini. “We’ve been doing all these things since day 1 – water bottles for every player, separate towels for every player. Our doctors and training staff have been on it since the start of the year.”

The province is expected to announce a new swine flu plan Tuesday that will initially focus on providing shots to pregnant women and children between the ages of six months and five years.
    What stupidity. Not the fact that they got the shots, but the reaction to it.

The week the Flames got their vaccinations, it was a free for all. You go to a public clinic if you want one. There was no risk-groups for priority.

People are getting very upset over the team getting their vaccinations while "our children are unprotected" and the like. What the flying **** is wrong with people.

Do people really think NHL players wait 6 months for MRIs like the rest of people too?

Frankly NHL players ARE high-risk. Look at the Oilers for Christsake, 8 infections already?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Funny. This particular stupidity appears to be transatlantic. Here's a story from a few days ago:

Hockey team on thin ice over swine flu queue hop

Published: 29 Oct 09 14:57 CET
    Online: http://www.thelocal.se/22956/20091029/

A Swedish ice hockey team has come in for withering criticism after it was revealed on Thursday that the squad’s players were vaccinated for the swine flu ahead of pregnant women and the chronically ill.

“It goes completely against our principles and priorities to vaccinate completely healthy ice hockey players before people who belong to one of the risk groups,” said Claes-Göran Björck, a local healthcare manager with Dalarna County health services, in a statement.

Björck’s criticism is directed primarily at Leksand team doctor Ronny Borelius, who ordered 50 doses of swine flu vaccine from the town’s local health clinic to vaccinate patients he claimed belonged to a specific risk group.

Instead, the doses were used to vaccinate players on the Leksand ice hockey team, as well as the team’s coaches.

Borelius defended his decision to the local Dala-Demokraten newspaper, however, arguing that the hockey players do in fact belong to a special risk group because they meet so many people.

“We have many asthmatics on the team with sensitive bronchi. They body check and sweat and there is a high risk for contagion,” he told the newspaper.

Borelius added that money also played a role in the decision, explaining that the team needs to have healthy players in order to compete.

Currently, Leksand is tied for first place in Sweden’s second highest ice hockey league, the Hockey Allsvenskan.

But the team doctor’s justification failed to sway local health officials, who threatened to take legal action.

“I can’t draw any other conclusion than that Borelius misled Leksand’s local clinic when he asked for the vaccine,” said Björck

“We’re now going to launch a thorough investigation into what happened, and if it is revealed that irregularities occurred we will consider taking legal action.”

Leksand’s decision to vaccinate its players has also drawn criticism from the National Board of Health and Weflare (Socialstyrelsen)

“That just can’t happen, we’ve gone out with clear guidelines that risk groups and medical personnel should be vaccinated first,” said the agency’s Anders Tegnell.

TT/David Landes (news@thelocal.se)

Comment

Awesome.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I think the real annoyance is that the Flames and families got the shots while there was a looming shortage.

If all the kids and others who really need them get their shots without waiting for new supplies, then I don't have a problem with it.

I think the real issue is the shortage of vaccine.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
          I think the real annoyance is that the Flames and families got the shots while there was a looming shortage.

If all the kids and others who really need them get their shots without waiting for new supplies, then I don't have a problem with it.

I think the real issue is the shortage of vaccine.
          The real issue is the (temporary) shortage of the vaccine (federal government planning) and the lack of priority for at-risk people to start (provincial government planning).

I know a lot of very healthy 20-somethings who got vaccines during that week. That's just how the province did ****. The fact that people are retroactively upset about the Flames is just retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            The real issue is the (temporary) shortage of the vaccine (federal government planning) and the lack of priority for at-risk people to start (provincial government planning).

I know a lot of very healthy 20-somethings who got vaccines during that week. That's just how the province did ****. The fact that people are retroactively upset about the Flames is just retarded.

Well, if the Oilers (and Eskimos and Stamps) were told to wait, then...

Some of this is on the feds. Some of it is on the province. Some is also on public health officials.

Pronouncements were widely made that everyone should get the shot ASAP. It would be the jobs of professionals to have a plan, or advise one, that would have seen the first shots go to those who needed them most, like in the Swedish case above. That's not what happened.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The players and families travel so much, I think it would be in everybody's interest that they and their families are vaccinated so that they don't infect others.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The shortage isn't really the result of lack of government planning. It is caused by the fact that the H1N1 virus does not grow in culture as quickly as expected, thus it takes longer to manufacture the vaccine.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I wonder how many health authorities would agree with you, Dan.

I can actually see the kids and at risk spouses of frequent travellors being treated as priority cases, but I don't know anywhere that they are.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                    The shortage isn't really the result of lack of government planning. It is caused by the fact that the H1N1 virus does not grow in culture as quickly as expected, thus it takes longer to manufacture the vaccine.
                    The lack of government planning comes in that they only had one manufacturer of the vaccine for all of the doses. In the future they should obtain several.

The shortage is for 1-week only and due to a "manufacturing hiccup" at their sole national supplier. The misplanning was they should've had more than one source.

Comment

I wonder how many health authorities would agree with you, Dan.

I can actually see the kids and at risk spouses of frequent travellors being treated as priority cases, but I don't know anywhere that they are.
                      It seems obvious to me that NHL players should be considered a high-risk group seeing how much they travel, how close they are to many, many other people in many parts of the continent, and given how many of them have been sick in the past week and how quickly it is able to spread among them.

Comment

The high risk groups are defined by who stands to die from it, I think. That and health workers.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

The high risk groups are defined by who stands to die from it, I think. That and health workers.
                          If that were true, senior citizens would be part of the (usual) high-risk group. They're not.

It's a factor of who is most likely to become infected, not who is most likely to die once they've become infected.

This was explained today in the Globe and Mail when a reader asked why a 65+ year old woman with a long condition is not a "high risk" under the rules.

If there's one thing we've seen with H1N1 is it's the people we least except dying from it, eg healthy 13-year old hockey players...

Comment

Seniors have a built in resistance due to exposure to something similar before we were born, or something like that that I read.

Anyone with underlying health conditions is regarded as at risk (lung diseases, lower immunities, and such I would imagine).
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Seniors have a built in resistance due to exposure to something similar before we were born, or something like that that I read.
                              Yes, which means they're less likely to get it. But if they do get it, they're more likely to die from it.

Anyone with underlying health conditions is regarded as at risk (lung diseases, lower immunities, and such I would imagine).
                              Not people over 65.

Comment

Working...
                              X