Covering Climate: What’s Domesticity Got to Do With It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering Climate: What’s Domesticity Got to Do With It

NYT Environment Reporter Floats Idea: Give Carbon Credits to Couples That Limit Themselves to One Pet

Monday, October 19, 2009
    By Edwin Mora

Washington (CNSNews.com) – Andrew Revkin, who reports on environmental issues for The New York Times, floated an idea last week for combating global warming: Give carbon credits to couples that limit themselves to having one pet.

Revkin later told CNSNews.com that he was not endorsing the idea, just trying to provoke some thinking on the topic.

Revkin participated via Web camera in an Oct. 14 panel discussion on “Covering Climate: What’s Domesticity Got to Do With It” that was held at the Woodrow Wilson Center in Washington, D.C. The other participants on the panel were Dennis Dimick, executive editor of National Geographic, and Emily Douglas, web editor for The Nation magazine.

At the event, Revkin said: “Well, some of the people have recently proposed: Well, should there be carbon credits for a food benefit in Africa let's say? Should that be monetized as a part of something that, you know, if you, if you can measurably somehow divert poverty, say toward an accelerating decline, shouldn't there be a carbon value to that?

“And I have even proposed recently, I can't remember if it's in the blog, but just think about this: Should--probably the single-most concrete and substantive thing an American, young American, could do to lower our carbon footprint is not turning off the lights or driving a Prius, it's having fewer pets, having fewer animals to feed," said Revkin.

“So should there be, eventually you get, should you get credit--If we're going to become carbon-centric--for having a one-pet family when you could have had two or three," said Revkin. "And obviously it's just a thought experiment, but it raises some interesting questions about all this.”

When CNSNews.com later followed up with questions about his comments, Revkin responded in an e-mail.

“I wasn't endorsing any of this, simply laying out the math and noting the reality that if one were serious about the poverty-climate intersection, it'd be hard to avoid asking hard questions about USA discretionary spending,” wrote Revkin.

“By raising the notion of carbon credits for, say, single-pet American families,” he continued, “I was aiming to provoke some thinking about where the brunt of emissions are still coming from on a per-capita basis.”

In a Sept. 19, 2009 blog entry, “Is sterilisation the Ultimate Green-Technology?” Revkin cited an August 2009 study by the London School of Economics that highlighted having fewer pets as a solution to diminishing our carbon footprint.

The study was sponsored by the British activist group Optimum Population Trust, which advocates reductions in the number of domestic animals.

“More pets equal more carbon dioxide emissions,” blogged Revkin. “And recent research has resulted in renewed coverage of the notion that one of the cheapest ways to curb emissions in coming decades would be to provide access to sterilization for tens of millions of animals around the world.

“I recently raised the question of whether this means we’ll soon see a market in pet-avoidance carbon credits similar to efforts to sell CO2 credits for avoiding deforestation,” he later added. “This is purely a thought experiment, not a proposal.”

Furthermore, he blogged: “But the issue is one that is rarely discussed in climate treaty talks or in debates over United States climate legislation. If anything, the poverty-climate question is more pressing in the United States than in developing countries, given the high per-capita carbon dioxide emissions here and the increase in the number of domestic pets. If giving owners an incentive to limit the number of pets is such a cheap win for emissions, why isn’t it in the mix?”
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

What about people like me that have a literal herd of cats?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You're the crazy cat lady.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Crazy cat guy. I want to be clear on that point.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You should be proud of their ability to read. Most cats don't.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            Crazy cat guy. I want to be clear on that point.
            That point is not clear at all, given the herd of cats.
            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
              That point is not clear at all, given the herd of cats.
              Sloww's temper is actually a bit femalish
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

“I wasn't endorsing any of this, simply laying out the math and noting the reality that if one were serious about the poverty-climate intersection, it'd be hard to avoid asking hard questions about USA discretionary spending,” wrote Revkin.
                roadkill clean up needed at the intersection of poverty and climate

Comment

Kill all the cats.

Problem solved.
                  I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    Kill all the cats.

Problem solved.

...and half the people?

The Optimum Population Trust believes that Earth may not be able to support more than half its present numbers before the end of this century.

Comment

That probably would solve many problems TBH.
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Maybe you didn't get the memo, but overpopulation is a two hundred year-old myth.

"Experts" have been predicting population-induced disasters for very long time, and they've always been wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X