Icelandic implosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Go at it alone! The EU is the kiss of death.
    To all countries not included (except China, and eventually India, although they're already pretty much screwed as it is, but have a massive potential if they can get decent leadership).

Comment

Well, Ben have always been a big supporter of the canuck way : kneeling down and suck the US dick
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

This is from the beginning of the crisis, but still very moving. The guy who may have to give up his BMW 318 almost made me cry

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
          Ehhr, what ? That doesn't make any sense.

Edit: well, it does make some kind of sense, but I don't know who that analyst is
          Lars Christensen. They warned about Iceland's economy overheating and
          got lambasted in Iceland because of it. I think that guy even flew there to
          explain himself. I also believe that there was a thread on Apolyton some time
          ago about Iceland's economy overheating, but I can't find it now.

Comment

Well, if you google "Lars Christensen" and "danske bank", you will know just as much as I do There are no further news in danish.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
              No offense, but that is really old news - it's at least half a year ago the icelandic economy imploded.
              But the impact is felt today.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
                Nothing worrying... yet.
                Inflation at 12%. Unemployment at 10%. The worrying bankruptcy figures and the fact that they're denominated in Euros.

I'm guessing that your view is due to Croatia having seen worse in the last 20 years, but Iceland has been a first world country forever.

This is a tremendous burden for the country. Nothing like, say, World War I was to the UK. But equal to what World War II was to the US.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The EU should just annex Iceland, make it a EU federal territory in exchange for wiping out the debt. This should also be done to Brussels, but that's a different story.

Comment

$138B? That's only 1% of our GDP... we could annex them. The Norwegians love Obama so much, maybe the Icelanders do, too.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

We'll sell him.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I was in Iceland a few years ago before all this started and I was struck at the time just how fragile their 'prosperity' was back then, with it being common practice for people to be holding down more than one job and working massive hours just to keep pace with their so-called affluent lifestyles. Seemed more like some weird form of slavery to a capitalist treadmill to me - which has surely been amplified several-fold now that their house of cards has come crashing down...

So, instead of building houses in the Philippines, I say Poly should have a meet in Reykjavik and help the Icelandic economy at the same time!
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Well, Ben have always been a big supporter of the canuck way : kneeling down and suck the US dick
                          If only that were the Canadian way. The Canadian way is to do everything the Yanks do, but disparage them for their Americaness, and boast about our superiority in ephemeral matters.

FWIW, I think the EU is a great idea. It destroys european economies, and gives Canada and the US a competitive advantage. Brussels.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            If only that were the Canadian way. The Canadian way is to do everything the Yanks do, but disparage them for their Americaness, and boast about our superiority in ephemeral matters.

FWIW, I think the EU is a great idea. It destroys european economies, and gives Canada and the US a competitive advantage. Brussels.
                            France and Germany are doing better than the United States. Fact.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                            X