No announcement yet.

What was the best decade for music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note that I consider that ridiciculous abomination known as gangsta rap as 'non-music'.

You, sir, are a moron.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

2364-2373; New Wave of Klingon Death Metal
      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
        Note that I consider that ridiciculous abomination known as gangsta rap as 'non-music'.

You, sir, are a moron.
        Sure, but we already know that don't we? Let bygones be bygones!
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
          drum machines and synthesizers, especially these:

Go listen to Who's Next or Quadrophenia and then tell me that synths were a post-1974 innovation.

you take what i said, put a completely different meaning on it and then refute it by stating the obvious. do you think this makes you appear intelligent?

there were bands in the 60s (the first 'electronic' music dates from the 50s, musique concrète, done by some french avant garde composers - it's interesting, from a technical point of view, but a lot of it isn't really listenable), for example silver apples, who built their own proto-synths, even before moog came on the scene. there was loads of bands who used synths in the late 60s/early 70s, but there was a limit to what they could do with these big, bulky, monophonic synths. you couldn't make house music on the simeon, for example.

what i was talking about however, was the advent of cheap (mostly digital) synths, samplers and drum machines, which revolutionised the way music was made. it put the technology into the hands of a lot more people and these people created a plethora of new sounds and genres. as jrabbit rightly points out, the 808 is the basis for much early hip-hop. heck even today, if some kid starts making beats on his bedroom PC, chances are he's using an emulated 808 or 909.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

So the great post-1974 innovation you're talking about is just cheaper, digital follow-ons of synths that were already in wide use before 1974? Wow, that's very impressive...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

are you being deliberately obtuse or do you really not understand what i am talking about?
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I understand what you're talking about. What I don't understand is why you think better synthesizers are a musical innovation on the level of rap...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

what you're trying to argue is rather like arguing that PCs weren't revolutionary and didn't really change things, because IBM were making computers back in the 50s.

rap is just (often awful) poetry delivered over a (synthesized) beat. that's not to say it is unimportant or didn't have a great impact, but we're talking about the greatest musical innovation here.

Comment

what you're trying to argue is rather like arguing that PCs weren't revolutionary and didn't really change things, because IBM were making computers back in the 50s.

That's a moronic analogy.

rap is just (often awful) poetry delivered over a (synthesized) beat.

This may be an even dumber statement. Most rap haters know better than to try to reduce the most diverse and influential musical genre of the last 20 years into a one-sentence description.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Most rap haters know better than to try to reduce the most diverse and influential musical genre of the last 20 years into a one-sentence description.

I disagree.

Comment

On the merits of rap music or the intelligence of rap haters?
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The latter.

Comment

rap is music, it's just largely not very good music.

Pop-R&B is even worse. Half the songs steal from ("sample from") better songs, all of them use autotune, and none of them are original in any way.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

1935-1944

I do like my Nazi marches.

Real answer would cover some part of the sixties

Comment

rap is music, it's just largely not very good music.

That's pretty much true in any genre.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X