Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was still using my 86-96 time period.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

to LA for not stretching his decade to 11 years like the rest of you dickgirls.

65-74 is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title. Shifting it a year or two either way wouldn't bother me much.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

My tastes stretch across a long timeline... too long for 10 years in a row. Early 80s and early 90s would be on the top of the list, but excludes too much.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
          I thought it was an obvious joke.
          Which is why I laughed.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
            Rap, the greatest post-1974 musical innovation.
            no.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

What was, then?
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

it's hard to say for me, i suppose i'd be torn between 1977-86 and 1984-93. with the first you get punk (and the post-punk and alt-rock stuff it spawned), new wave, no wave, electro, which was there at the birth of techno and of hip-hop, some great disco and funk too. with the second you get most of the best early indie, some cracking industrial stuff, house, techno, the birth of trance, loads of experimentation and diversification in electronic music.

edit: this is in response to the OP
                Last edited by C0ckney; October 3, 2009, 06:49.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Rap >>>>>>>>>> Electronic
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

What was, then?
                    drum machines and synthesizers, especially these:

Comment

Rap >>>>>>>>>> Electronic
                      spoken like a true american

Comment

drum machines and synthesizers, especially these:

Go listen to Who's Next or Quadrophenia and then tell me that synths were a post-1974 innovation.

spoken like a true american

Rap is more popular than electronic the world over.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                          great disco
                          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

1969-79?
                            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                            Middle East!

Comment

I had a TR-808. Sold it for almost triple its original retail a couple years after they were discontinued. Much sought-after by rappers for its idiosyncratic drum sound (pretty good toms, snare and hi-hat combined with incredibly cheesy crash cymbal) found on many early hip-hop discs. The TR-909 was the upgrade -- more expensive, with technically better samples. But it didn't have "that sound."
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
                                to LA for not stretching his decade to 11 years like the rest of you dickgirls.

65-74 is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title. Shifting it a year or two either way wouldn't bother me much.
                                Pretty much spot on.

Living in those days must've been a thrill, but I would've missed the tons of great music released since then. That era was fundamental for everything to come afterwards though, so it deserves its title of best decade.

Note that I consider that ridiciculous abomination known as gangsta rap as 'non-music'. French rap and to a lesser extent some British and the odd US non-gangsta rap is accepted.
                                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                                X