Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thou shalt not bear false witness

What does this mean?

Is it a general prohibition against dishonesty, or is it more specific? Do you have to lie about a neighbour in court, or is it a sin to be dishonest in general in your daily interactions?

Is it OK to lie about groups of people? Is it OK to lie about things? Is it a sin to misrepresent any and everything?

I am curious. Shine your wisdom on this topic, O Polyzens.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

In the last several years, I've taken it literally. It has it's uncomfortable moments, at first; but then it's really just a lot easier. It may mean as little as...not bearing false witness. Saying you saw something that you didn't see.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Would that include things in books? Like if you are teaching children, is it OK to twist meanings or misrepresent what you know the authors wrote?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

No libel or slander. Anything else is fine.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I've always wondered this.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
            Would that include things in books? Like if you are teaching children, is it OK to twist meanings or misrepresent what you know the authors wrote?
            I suppose you think that you're quite the trickly little fellow, don't you?
            News Flash, buddy. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, I'm driving the truck. Don't even try it.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I try to always tell the truth unless it is obvious that I am joking.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I understood it as "don't lie" as a kid since lying was a sin.
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

The way it was explained to me in a history class I took on ancient Israel:

During a trial, both sides could say whatever they wanted. The judge would then select one of them to swear an oath that his testimony was true. The person who swore the oath would win the case, so it was up to the judge to figure out which of them was telling the truth. If you swore an oath that your testimony was true, and it wasn't, then you were bearing false witness. However, you could decline to take the oath after your testimony, if you were religious and worried that some bolt of lightning would strike you down. Declining the oath carried no penalty besides losing the case.

Of course, if you were worried about divine vengeance why lie in the first place? I'm sure the professor answered that question, but I was probably high and forgot.
                  John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

False witness simply means that you cannot lie under oath to condemn someone else. The penalty used to be if you were caught to bear the penalty of the man you condemned.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

It's interesting that you only consider it to apply under oath. It also explains a lot.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You want NYE's thread to be closed for personal attacks? You just can't help yourself, can you?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm not attacking anyone. Just making casual observations.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

yeah, I doubt this is a prohibition on telling the wife she doesn't look fat. And people lie all the time for good reason, so this is a prohibition on lying about someone to get them in trouble, in court or I'd say the court of public opinion - the principle's the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                              False witness simply means that you cannot lie under oath to condemn someone else. The penalty used to be if you were caught to bear the penalty of the man you condemned.
                              so bearing false witness in a murder trial could/would get the liar the same punishment awaiting the murderer? That'll keep bearing false witness to a minimum

Comment

Working...
                              X