Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Alby.

Alt cover of a Jay-Z song

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Marcia Ball - Just Kiss Me
      Live @ the Granada Theater in Dallas 12-15-07

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
          Indie-pop!

i think (in fact i'm fairly sure) that i posted this track back in the last music, along with some other 2 door cinema club stuff. but yeah, good choice, even though both their albums are very different from each other, i like them both.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• here's something interesting. gil scott-heron released a new album (i'm new here), which i remember albie plugging heavily. now jamie from the xx has remixed the album (released as we're new here), the results are fantastic. here's a couple of tracks from it.

gil scott-heron & jamie xx - my cloud

gil scott-heron & jamie xx - new york is killing me
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• and something a little bit different, the owiny sigoma band, i know very little about them but they came recommended by a friend, enjoy.

owiny sigoma band - jalako onyoono paka

owiny sigoma band - wires

Comment

• I did NOT plug Gil Scott Heron heavily. I posted his latest single with Nas. Years of substance abuse have destroyed that man and his vocal chords. He is not the same Winter in America Gil Scott Heron by any stretch of the imagination.

And that **** was terrible, Cockney. Holy **** way for a producer/dj to completely overpower the man's vocals with their stupid beat And since it was this hollow ghost of Gil Scott Heron ('pieces of a man' so to speak ), it is even worse.
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• REAL Gil Scott Heron... in his prime before the drugs...

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• He did drugs...so you think he's a rocker, da?
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      He did drugs...so you think he's a rocker, da?
                      You tell me:

Genres Soul, jazz poetry, spoken word soul, jazz-funk, proto-rap
                      Occupations Poet, singer, songwriter, author
                      Instruments Vocals, electric piano, guitar

Comment

• But he did drugs! Only rockers do drugs...

BTW, you see my Jay-Z cover? That's 100x better than the "original" (which still lifted heavily from others, including Ice T)

Comment

• And no, I don't think he actually smoked crack in his prime. He became an old crackhead into his later years. I could be wrong though. Who knows with the 1970's.

Comment

• 13 albums between 1970 and 1982... two albums since 1982. I think it's apparent when Scott-Heron became a crackhead. He was an 80's crackhead like the rest of his generation in the Black community.

However, he was never arrested for it til 2001 so it's possibly he may have became a crackhead much more recently.

Regardless, his creative height and relevancy was when he wasn't a crackhead.

Comment

• Anyway, another just to demonstrate how much crack has destroyed this man musically.

It gets forgotten in his legacy to rap that he was as much a soul singer as anything else and had the voice

This is why I find those remixes borderline offensive... Scott-Heron's production was minimalistic and quiet; just an accompaniment to his singing, rapping, and spoken word. Those remixes destroy the relationship between the man and his music with their overpowering. ****. The second one? What the hell? It was like they sampled him for a stand-alone beat, not making the beat to fit him!

Listen to this:

See how HE overpowers the congas. That is Scott-Heron.

**** that Jamie XX *******.

I can tell right now that dude is not a hip hop producer.
                              Last edited by Al B. Sure!; March 1, 2011, 23:45.

Comment

• This is how a remix album is ****ing done.

There was a Nat King Cole album called Re:Generations which remixed and 'hip hopified' Nat King Cole songs. Nat King Cole. We're talking 60 year old vinyl jazz era recordings. Remixed by will.i.am, ?uestlove, Just Blaze, Cee-Lo, and others with guest appearances from all over the map. There were some misses and it wasn't always perfect but Nat King Cole recordings aren't exactly conducive to this so the results are impressive regardless.

Check it:

That's how the **** it's done.

With his daughter:

And for you Cockney, a little Brazilian flavor:

That's how you make a remix album and remixing Nat King Cole in hip hop/r&b has got to be harder than a Gil Scott Heron album that came out last year

Comment

Working...
                                X