No announcement yet.

A Music Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by ZEE; December 22, 2010, 20:41.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• No some guy named Ron Browz
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

• Sonic the Hedgehog Rap... the future of the Hip Hop genre...

"I Love College"
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Moribund? No. In some ways, it is a renaissance. All it means is that the established rappers are adult family men now and the younger new guys (Lupe Fiasco, Wale, B.O.B., Drake, etc.) are keeping to that same mold of new rap. It's interesting.

See, AAHZ just never wants to get his mind out of the hood. That's why he doesn't like it. He doesn't like to see them age. He doesn't like people like Kanye West et al who are practically middle class nerd rappers.
            a few things here. firstly kayne west is ****ing ****. secondly i would consider nerd rap to be stuff like the beastie boys (who i actually like), not people of kayne west's ilk. thirdly look at the artists you posted, so hip-hop's great hope is drake, or wale? that's not a renaissance fella aahz must be crying, and i can't blame him.

fourthly, yes american urban music is not in a good state right now, creatively speaking (although i'm sure in terms of sales and airplay, it's holding up very well...), and i stand by that. there are a few bright spots of course, like b-more, i posted some dj blaqstarr here before, someone you should definitely check out, but overall, the picture is not good.

I'm curious since all you and thoth really post are OLD songs...
            this is simply untrue and shows that a) you don't listen to what i post, or b) you can't tell when what i post was made. it's actually a little bit frustrating to have to point stuff like this out, when the problem is all with your eyes, your ears and your brain. a bit when you say i only post punk rock and techno, because you apparently don't know what punk rock and techno are. :brickwall:

and that song you posted is so bad it hurts. i hated that whole rappers covering 80s or eurodance songs, like that dead or alive cover or that talentless c*ntrag who ripped off 'better off alone'. awful, awful, awful. what do you like about stuff like that albert, honestly? if you're going to use the beat from something, then at least be creative with it, treat it with a bit of respect, unlike those pricks.

here is a rapper using the backing from an old song, to good effect. i've posted the original here before, 10 points to anyone who can tell me what it is.

professor green - hard night out
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Kanye, Consequence, GLC, Wale, Kid Cudi, Ryan Leslie, Charles Hamilton, Lupe Fiasco, Cool Kids, Kidz in the Hall, etc. all these guys make hot music and have evolved hip hop lyricism. They don't talk about guns and drugs like rappers did throughout the 90's and early 2000's. They have varied content... They're a renaissance harkening back to the days of Tribe Called Quest, the Fugees, De La Soul, etc.

Of course you want them to 'dumb it down' so you can mock them...

"You've been shedding too much light Lu (Dumb it down)
              You make'em wanna do right Lu (Dumb it down)
              They're getting self-esteem Lu (Dumb it down)
              These girls are trying to be queens Lu (Dumb it down)
              They're trying to graduate from school Lu (Dumb it down)
              They're starting to think that smart is cool Lu (Dumb it down)
              They're trying to get up out the hood Lu (Dumb it down)

I'll tell you what you should do (Dumb it down)"

Dumb it down, right? Keep them in the hood, right? That's what you want.

Comment

• Furthermore, when artists talk about the decline of hip hop, it's not with regards to these guys, it's with regards to ALL the people AAHZ posts... that South crap is ruining rap. When Nas declares "Hip Hop is Dead" or Cassidy reminisces on "Damn I Miss the Game", they're not talking about Kanye West. They're talking about the South, where beats, a hook, and a slur mean more than lyricism. I've had this discussion with AAHZ if you notice in which he flatly admitted he cares nothing for lyrics... beats, particularly a deep bass, are what's important to him.

And that's the issue. Good AAHZ is not liking his supposed decline in hip hop. His brand of hip hop is trash. IT SHOULD DECLINE! Meanwhile, the rest of the rap community has matured and has returned to its roots. Rapping about guns, drugs, whores, and thug life is OVER! AAHZ wants that era to continue! Kanye West et al are the modern day Tribe Called Quests, Da La Souls, and Fugees'.

It's a New Era of hip hop:

For years, the criticism of rap was that it was so gangster and was a bad influence on children... Umm... so you can't say that anymore. Now what, White America? What now can you say, scared Mothers of America?

What can you take issue with?
                Last edited by Al B. Sure!; September 2, 2010, 20:24.

Comment

• Rap is back to being positive and fun. Deal with it. Of course decadent crackers and 30-year old wiggers who need to grow up will take issue:

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

• Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
                        my generation of rap lasted over 20 years, boy. if your autotune, generic beat, soccer-mom loving rap lasts that long we can talk.

meanwhile GTFO my thrade, AAHZ is starting to get upset with your failures.
                        Oh really? This is nothing new... hip hop used to be fun before gangsterism got popular:

Going back to the era where rappers didn't curse and didn't talk about guns and drugs. Only you would consider this a decline

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 22, 2010, 20:42.
                          Order of the Fly

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

• Yes, because rapping about killing people, guns, drugs, and whores is what rap must always be about! Combine it with a Southern slur and a bassy beat and THAT IS MUSIC!

You are so wrong it's ridiculous. Keep worshiping at your altar of Crap Rap.

What does anyone else think? Should rap become a form of music in which a deep bass is more important than lyrics? Should lyrical content consist entirely of talk about rims, guns, and purple drank?

Or should it be about real life, heartfelt lyrics?

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

Working...
                                X