Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did Fox News get so fast and loose with the truth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did Fox News get so fast and loose with the truth?

What a shameless network...

Networks respond to false Fox ad
    Posted: September 18th, 2009 07:00 PM ET

ALT TEXT

Fox News is under fire for a Friday ad that inaccurately accused its competitors, including CNN, of failing to cover last weekend's Tea Party protests in Washington.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Fox News is under fire for a newspaper ad they purchased Friday that inaccurately accused its competitors, including CNN, of failing to cover last weekend's Tea Party protests in Washington.

"How did, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, and CNN miss this story?" Fox's newspaper ad asks.

The answer: They didn't.

CNN provided live coverage of the rally in Washington on Saturday, dispatching more than a dozen personnel, including multiple camera crews and the CNN Express Bus, to cover the event. Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser was live at Freedom Plaza; Correspondent Kate Bolduan reported live from the Capitol and throughout the crowd; All Platform Journalist Jim Spellman provided live hits all day after traveling for weeks on the Tea Party Express Bus; and CNN Correspondent Lisa Desjardins was live for CNN and CNN Radio from the National Mall.

CNN's Rick Sanchez weighs in on Fox's ad

CNN's coverage also included numerous live reports and interviews with protesters and newsmakers, including rally day speaker Sen. Jim DeMint and activist Art Gerhart, who was on the set with anchor Don Lemon to discuss the event.

In addition, CNN.com provided a live stream of the rally throughout the day.

ABC referred Friday to a statement by Matt Kibbe, president of FreedomWorks — the group that organized the event – characterizing the network's coverage that day as "fair and honest." The rally story was featured on the network's morning shows, nightly news broadcast, in extensive radio reporting and online.

MSNBC also pointed to its own reporting. "Just like every other network mentioned in the ad, MSNBC covered last Saturday's protest," the network said in a statement.

CBS detailed its coverage of the event in a statement issued Friday afternoon.

"CBS News had multiple crews on site with our Congressional Correspondent Nancy Cordes reporting," the network said in a statement. "It was the lead story on the CBS EVENING NEWS; CBS Radio News provided hourly reports during the day and CBSNews.com had the story in its rotating lead all day. They also processed the Nancy Cordes video and linked it throughout the site."

And CNN criticized Fox for its inaccurate statement. "Fox News' ad released today is blatantly false regarding CNN's coverage of the 9/12 rally," CNN said in a statement.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

CNN claimed they were 15 thousand people at the mall.

With journalists like Wolf Blitzer it's a good thing they pay top dollar.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

A half-hearted BK thread****, I give it a 3/10 and that's being generous.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

15k is a low ball, but much closer to truth than the 2 million some were claiming.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          CNN claimed they were 15 thousand people at the mall.

With journalists like Wolf Blitzer it's a good thing they pay top dollar.

Are you incapable of reading posts or do you like it when the posters on this site collectively shove their fists up your ass every time you post?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Maybe you should look up the word "relative media coverage" in your phone book. Not all coverage is equal. You can argue that stupid things like this column are a disgrace for Murdock's giant Jewish penis. But not this

Comment

Are you incapable of reading posts or do you like it when the posters on this site collectively shove their fists up your ass every time you post?
              Geez what a wet blanket.

Excellent thread kill.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You're going to get yourself banned again for doing this **** in my threads. You've been warned many, many times.

I can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                  Maybe you should look up the word "relative media coverage" in your phone book. Not all coverage is equal. You can argue that stupid things like this column are a disgrace for Murdock's giant Jewish penis. But not this
                  Although I do not agree with Napolitano's viewpoint, it is a legitimate one to advance, especially in light of the Supreme Court's striking down the Violence Against Women Act.

Napolitano's constitutional argument is weak because he perceives the current health care bill as regulating health care instead of providing a system to PAY for health care. "Pay" implies "commerce," whereas no such implication arises from violence against women.

[It'd also be interesting to see him try to explain how Congress's banning of partial-birth abortion is constitution. ]

Comment

Maybe those networks should get together and sue FOX for libel.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      You actually need to ask that question?

OF COURSE Ben likes having multiple fists up his arse. DUH.
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                        Although I do not agree with Napolitano's viewpoint, it is a legitimate one to advance, especially in light of the Supreme Court's striking down the Violence Against Women Act.

Napolitano's constitutional argument is weak because he perceives the current health care bill as regulating health care instead of providing a system to PAY for health care. "Pay" implies "commerce," whereas no such implication arises from violence against women.

[It'd also be interesting to see him try to explain how Congress's banning of partial-birth abortion is constitution. ]
                        It's weak for a lot more reasons than that, girlfriend. "One does not go to the doctor to engage in commercial activity" is probably the dumbest sentence I've ever read. So is his complete and blatant misreading of Lopez.

Keep ****ing that chicken

Comment

I wondered if the opening boast by Fox News was still up on their website. It is not, but I found this charming piece. I'll not post the whole thing, but it begins:

Kevin McCullough
                          - FOXNews.com
                          - September 17, 2009
                          Why Dick Cheney Is More American Than Barack Obama

It all comes down to gravitas, seriousness, and the ability to look out for Americans. And while Mr. Cheney does not relish having to correct the current administration on policy, Americans are showing that they are grateful that he's taking the time to do so.

Polls give us a snapshot of what's on Americans' minds at any given moment. So, I'm astounded by the moment we find ourselves in. As you sit reading this, former Vice President Cheney is on a two month surge of popularity. President Barack Obama, on the other hand, is doing his best Wile E. Coyote impression with no brakes on the rocket car, and has just careened over the edge of the fifty-foot cliff.

So what has boosted the former Vice President's approval ratings up by anywhere from 8-10%, while watching the president's take a nose dive of 11-14% since January?

I'm certain that, like peeling back an onion, the layers to this answer are many.

The president has had a rough summer and fall is not even officially here yet. While Ben Bernanke, the man he wants to keep as Fed chair declared this week that the recession in the United States is, "very likely" over, real unemployment is at 14 percent or higher. Could people be remembering that unemployment during the two terms of the Bush administration hovered at about the 4-5% range? Could they be longing for the days when they had jobs?

Obama promised he'd personally never allow the unemployment rate to surpass 8%, but now that the current unemployment rate has risen to 9.7%, the president must surely wish he could somehow get back to that 8% number.

But I'm fairly certain that it's something more than all this that explains the surge in popularity for former Vice President Cheney.

The current administration doesn't seem to understand that creating economic growth would help solve the most number of needs for the most people. If someone has a job, they can choose whether they want health care or not. If someone has a job, they can decide to invest and save for the future, so that when tough times come they're more prepared. If someone has a job, they can feed their family and give the ones they love a better place to live. If someone has a job, many other parts of life get better for many, many people.

Vice President Cheney never forgot that by helping the small businessman in America you help roughly a dozen families simultaneously. By cutting the tax burdens of small business (people the current administration label "rich" and "evil") you help provide the livelihoods for a dozen families. By creating a smaller burden on small business you create jobs -- and its jobs that solve many other problems that Americans are now facing.

Yet again, I'm not truly convinced that this is the secret to why America is moving towards Cheney and away from Obama.

Personally I think it comes down to gravitas, seriousness, and the ability to look out for Americans.

Here's a link to Gallup Polls. http://www.gallup.com/poll/1618/Favo...ople-News.aspx
                          It shows Cheney's latest favorability rating at: 34%
                          while Obama's latest favorability rating is at: 66%.

So, using Kevin McCullough basic theory that "favorabilty" = "American," then Obama is twice as American is Cheney.

Comment

So, a guy who shot a friend in the face while being drunk is "american" ?
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

And making him apologize for being shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X