Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who on Earth can run 43 marathons in 52 days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who on Earth can run 43 marathons in 52 days?

Eddie MOTHER****ING Izzard, that's who.

Now that's what I call an action transvestite.

To the cheering of taxi drivers and the tooting of horns, the comedian and actor Eddie Izzard ran into London yesterday to complete his 43rd marathon in 52 days, a feat of jogging in which he had covered 1,100 miles.

Fighting blisters that have caused the nails on his smaller toes to fall off and his larger toes to swell into “alien monsters”, he sprinted up The Mall and into Trafalgar Square where he started 7½ weeks ago.

In finishing he proved what many thought was an impossible task: that a 47-year-old cross-dresser with no sporting inclination could complete an endeavour usually reserved for a small band of endurance athletes and masochists.

Fans of his comedy routines assembled at the finish and chanted his name as he stumbled over it. He then performed a good impression of a man about to collapse. Speaking between gasps, he said that he felt “dead”. He put his success down to the fact that he was “a relentless idiot”.

He had embarked on his 43 marathons in part as a celebration of the Olympics coming to London in 2012. It was also in aid of the charity Sports Relief, which has raised donations by sending likeable but comfortably built celebrities on demanding physical challenges. In 2006, the comedian David Walliams swam the Channel, this year it was the turn of Izzard, a cross-dressing comedian of dubious athletic abilities who has occasionally claimed be “a black-belt in sashimi”.

So far Izzard has raised more than £200,000.

After only six weeks’ training he started out on a journey that would take him to every corner of the British Isles. “The first three weeks were the hardest,” he said. The relentless pressure on his body led to sleepless nights and he would wake exhausted with “blisters on top of blisters”.

But the reception he received buoyed his spirits. “I do actually like people,” he said. “I find people interesting. People stop their cars and cheer, they gave me money and food.”

More than 500,000 people “followed” the comedian, in a different sense, on Twitter. Running into London he looked lean and muscular. “Everyone says my legs look very good but I thought they looked quite good beforehand,” he said.

Simon Blease, 51, a sports doctor and mountain runner who has been following his progress, was waiting on Tower Bridge. “I didn’t think he could do it,” he said. “Like a lot of people I thought he would have a good try but his body would break down. Someone with so little training, you expect the feet to break down or stress fractures in the legs. I find it extraordinary that he has done it.”

Izzard had hoped to break five hours in his final marathon but was a few minutes over. Asked what he had gained, he said: “I know now I can do that. Sport is one of those words that stopped being part of my life when I was about 14. Sporting prowess was not something I ever associated myself with.” He now plans to continue jogging. He hoped to inspire others into sport in the run up to the Olympics. “We didn’t celebrate getting the Olympics,” he said. “We had one day and then the bombs went off. I’ve shown that even an idiot like me can run 43 marathons”. His little toenails will apparently grow back, and the number of blisters has fallen to “about five”.

Although he plans to continue jogging, he said that he had “liked the stopping”. He then excused himself — to take an ice bath. “I’m going to have a party somewhere that is dry and then I’m going to sleep for a week,” he said.

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Eddie Izzard

He's ****ing a man!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Incidentally, someone needs to direct TEF to this thread, posthaste.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        He's ****ing a man!

What's that, Imran?

Comment

A bit of HARDMAN reference
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Izzard.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Man a guy in a wheel chair and a guy with one leg already did it. Why should it be difficult for a man with no ****?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Ever so clueless.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The voice of Reepicheep is a cross-dresser? Should I have expected that?

Also, BK, change your avatar. I keep seeing it and thinking Christmas is a lot closer than it actually is.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Quite a feat
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Wow, impressive. Eddie Izzard.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Would you prefer mary travers?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Good for him!

Comment

Impressive.
                            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

He then performed a good impression of a man about to collapse.
                              No doubt.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X