Question for the Scientistshere...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
    You're going 80 miles per hours!? With a kid in the car?!
    Slow down!!!!
    It's the interstate, geezer, not the neighborhood street to the early bird buffet.

BTW: I was at the mall the other day and made a 980-piso purchase. I gave the salegirl a 1000-piso note. She pulled out a hand calculator in order to figure out the change.
    That kills me every time, too, just like the cashier who stops, dumbfounded, when I hand over $10.07 for a $9.07 purchase.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
      Mods: I'd request that all BK posts be deleted from this thread as they are spam.

but that would be hypocritical of me. So I'm just going to ask for them to be deleted because they are stopping me from gaining useful research for my essay.
      "Gaining useful research for my essay"?
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

So, what the **** are hte answers to these questions?

And yes, I consider that this thread going off topic is par for the course. Just make it entertaining...
        Because for most people any knowledge beyond the ability to drive and take simple directions is both completely useless and impossible to attain.

God bless them, but the majority of the human race is utterly stupid.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The purpose of science education for the majority of children is to grow up with enough scientific knowledge that they won't fall for every idiotic conspiracy theory that rolls down the pike, so they'll keep getting their kids vaccinated and stop buying Hummers and stop voting down stem cell research etc.

The only way to get people to behave intelligently is to create a society where social mores are intelligent. For the great majority of people, counting on individual rationality is hopeless. We should concentrate on educating the elite who form these social mores.

The majority of the public regards science as some sort of wizardry, and always will.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's the interstate, geezer, not the neighborhood street to the early bird buffet.

If you drive 80mph anywhere in Pennsylvania that's not within 10 miles of a major city you will be honked at, flipped off and passed.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Where the **** is KH with his economic theories about education when you need him
              Working 16-18 hours a day. **** you. **** everybody. I've slept 20-25 hours in the last week. I spent 3 hours today doing research while convinced that my officemate was there. He's been on vacation for 4 days.

I hate all of you ****ers.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm drinking and tired out of my mind right now. Chances I pass out while trying to write shell scripts to fix the FAULTY ONES WRITTEN BY STUPID ****ING PHYSICISTS WHICH ARE DEPENDENT ON THE ORDER IN WHICH FILES ARE WRITTEN ON A DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING NETWORK > 80%

Question: should the person who created the arxiv be given the Nobel prize in physics? What about the unidentified individual who created coffee? How about the guys behind Pandora?
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Seriously, who the **** writes a program which uses "touch" on an empty file to check the completion of a job? ****ing piece of **** ****ing **** programmers.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Regular people like you and me have absolutely no use for the nuts and bolts of science.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                      Hummers have less fuel efficiency than smart cars."
                      This is actually a fact.

Suggesting that people shouldn't drive Hummers, then, because is a natural consequence: if one wants to maximize return for their money, you buy the more efficient product.

That's not politics, it's sensibility, prudence, and thriftiness.

As far as the LHC goes, I like how you're judging it before it's had a chance to prove its worth. It's not like much of NASA's or the military's science research had an immediate turnaround, either.

As far as the scientific method, its application has incontrovertibly lead to the conclusion that mass vaccination is pretty much an unmitigated good; I don't see how you can politicize that fact.
                      B♭3

Comment

Look, it's the logical consequence of your argument.

Scientists used to be about doing cool stuff just for the sake of doing cool stuff. They went to the moon, why? Just because it was there. They built big gigantic instruments to study the sky, why? Because they could.
                        And scientists are building huge atom smashers so they can peer into the very beginnings of the universe. Why? Because they can.

If that's not pretty ****ing cool, then you need to have your coolmeter fixed, stat.

You're telling me that the kids of tomorrow who dream of flying in rocket ships to the stars are going to give a **** about Humvees?
                        I'd think so, because I'm willing to bet most of them will occasionally want to swing by the planet to at least say hello to their mums. Which'll suck if she was in a Toyota and some drunk **** in a Humvee smashed her into a pulp.
                        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                          Not sure where you're going with that... if you are talking about memorization, I'd suggest that certain fields [take, Organic Chemistry] are far too focused on memorization in early level classes, where they should be teaching the concepts and not focusing on memorization. You'll memorize it eventually if you stay in the field simply by using it - no need to memorize everything up front. That's what reference manuals are for. There are people who can teach these subjects without memorization; it's just easier to teach it with memorization, so that's why it's done that way. Silly, IMO.
                          No.
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

And scientists are building huge atom smashers so they can peer into the very beginnings of the universe. Why? Because they can.

If that's not pretty ****ing cool, then you need to have your coolmeter fixed, stat.
                            Hey, I'm not the douche who said that *****ing and moaning bout humvees was an essential part of a science curriculum. I think it is cool.

I'd think so, because I'm willing to bet most of them will occasionally want to swing by the planet to at least say hello to their mums. Which'll suck if she was in a Toyota and some drunk **** in a Humvee smashed her into a pulp.
                            Which is why you get her a humvee. Duh.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

This is actually a fact.
                              Uh, I said it was a fact...

Suggesting that people shouldn't drive Hummers, then, because is a natural consequence: if one wants to maximize return for their money, you buy the more efficient product.
                              Again you are making the unscientific assumption that everyone thinks the way you do. If I wanna roll in my escalade or show the world how big my **** is and intimidate other drivers, I'm concerned about many other things in my ride than simply the most efficient product.

That's not politics, it's sensibility, prudence, and thriftiness.
                              It's totally politics. I could go on about how hems below the knee are all about prudence, and you'd call me a prude. I'm going to say the same thing about smart car weenies who I'm sure everyone agrees about it.

As far as the LHC goes, I like how you're judging it before it's had a chance to prove its worth. It's not like much of NASA's or the military's science research had an immediate turnaround, either.
                              I even said, you cannot evaluate the true value of the LHC scientifically until after it's finished it's job. I am just saying. If your primary concern is saving energy than the LHC is a much larger waste than any humvee.

As far as the scientific method, its application has incontrovertibly lead to the conclusion that mass vaccination is pretty much an unmitigated good; I don't see how you can politicize that fact.
                              It is a fact that vaccinations are more effective the more people get inoculated, but the efficacy of each individual vaccination depends on both the transmission mode of the disease and the type of shot.

Saying vaccinations are good, hurf durf, does nothing to prevent people from bringing in evidence that vaccinations be the devil, yo. Vaccinations are not an unmitigated good, look at the smallpox vaccine, which had a high rate of death for those associated with the vaccination. Yes it cured the disease in the end, but at a cost to the lives of people who were injected for the vaccination. Would you say for these families that vaccination was an unmitigated good? No.

Stick to the facts.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Stick to the facts.
                                Best Ben quote of the year.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X