Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take that Texas bashers

Texas DNA exonerees find prosperity after prison

By JEFF CARLTON, Associated Press Writer Jeff Carlton, Associated Press Writer – Fri Sep 4, 1:13 pm ET
    DALLAS – Thomas McGowan's journey from prison to prosperity is about to culminate in $1.8 million, and he knows just how to spend it: on a house with three bedrooms, stainless steel kitchen appliances and a washer and dryer.
    "I'll let my girlfriend pick out the rest," said McGowan, who was exonerated last year based on DNA evidence after spending nearly 23 years in prison for rape and robbery.
    He and other exonerees in Texas, which leads the nation in freeing the wrongly convicted, soon will become instant millionaires under a new state law that took effect this week.
    Exonerees will get $80,000 for each year they spent behind bars. The compensation also includes lifetime annuity payments that for most of the wrongly convicted are worth between $40,000 and $50,000 a year — making it by far the nation's most generous package.
    "I'm nervous and excited," said McGowan, 50. "It's something I never had, this amount of money. I didn't have any money — period."
    His payday for his imprisonment — a time he described as "a nightmare," "hell" and "slavery" — should come by mid-November after the state's 45-day processing period.
    Exonerees also receive an array of social services, including job training, tuition credits and access to medical and dental treatment. Though 27 other states have some form of compensation law for the wrongly convicted, none comes close to offering the social services and money Texas provides.
    The annuity payments are especially popular among exonerees, who acknowledge their lack of experience in managing personal finances. A social worker who meets with the exonerees is setting them up with financial advisers and has led discussions alerting them to swindlers.
    The annuities are "a way to guarantee these guys ... payments for life as long as they follow the law," said Kevin Glasheen, a Lubbock attorney representing a dozen exonerees.
    Two who served about 26 years in prison for rape will receive lump sums of about $2 million apiece. Another, Steven Phillips, who spent about 24 years in prison for sexual assault and burglary, will get about $1.9 million.
    The biggest compensation package will likely go to James Woodard, who spent more than 27 years in prison for a 1980 murder that DNA testing later showed he did not commit. He eventually could receive nearly $2.2 million but first needs a writ from the state's Court of Criminal Appeals or a pardon from the governor.
    McGowan and the others are among 38 DNA exonerees in Texas, according to the Innocence Project, a New York legal center that specializes in overturning wrongful convictions. Dallas County alone has 21 cases in which a judge overturned guilty verdicts based on DNA evidence, though prosecutors plan to retry one of those.
    Charles Chatman, who was wrongly convicted of rape, said the money will allow him some peace of mind after more than 26 years in prison.
    "It will bring me some independence," he said. "Other people have had a lot of control over my life."
    Chatman and other exonerees already have begun rebuilding their lives. Several plan to start businesses, saying they don't mind working but want to be their own bosses. Others, such as McGowan, don't intend to work and hope to make their money last a lifetime.
    Some exonerees have gotten married and another is about to. Phillips is taking college courses. Chatman became a first-time father at 49.
    "That's something I never thought I'd be able to do," he said. "No amount of money can replace the time we've lost."
    The drumbeat of DNA exonerations caused lawmakers this year to increase the compensation for the wrongly convicted, which had been $50,000 for each year of prison. Glasheen, the attorney, advised his clients to drop their federal civil rights lawsuits and then led the lobbying efforts for the bill.
    Besides the lump sum and the monthly annuity payments, the bill includes 120 hours of paid tuition at a public college. It also gives exonerees an additional $25,000 for each year they spent on parole or as registered sex offenders.
    No other state has such a provision, according to the Innocence Project.
    Exonerees who collected lump sum payments under the old compensation law are ineligible for the new lump sums but will receive the annuities. Whether the money will be subject to taxes remains unsettled, Glasheen said.
    The monthly payments are expected to be a lifeline for exonerees such as Wiley Fountain, 53, who received nearly $390,000 in compensation — minus federal taxes — but squandered it by, as he said, "living large." He ended up homeless, spending his nights in a tattered sleeping bag behind a liquor store.
    But after getting help from fellow exonerees and social workers, Fountain now lives in an apartment and soon will have a steady income.
    Fountain's story is a cautionary tale for the other exonerees, who meet monthly and lately have been discussing the baggage that comes with the money.
    Chatman said he's been approached by "family, friends and strangers, too."
    "It takes two or three seconds before they ask me how much money, or when do I get the money," he said. "Everyone has the perfect business venture for you."
    Though appropriately wary, the exonerees say they are excited about having money in the bank.
    "You're locked up so long and then you get out with nothing," McGowan said. "With this, you might be able to live a normal life, knowing you don't have to worry about being out on the streets."

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

They don't give a rat's ass about positive facts. Oh, Hell no. They like to wallow around in dirty little rumors, like pigs.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

They're probably guilty for other crimes. And now you* doofus Texans are giving away OUR tax dollars to hardened criminals!! You bastards!!!

*- does not apply to Tuberski since he's not really a Texan
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I think I've seen way too many threads on this topic. Texans/Republicans cheer the fact that DNA tests are exonerating people Texas courts have convicted with "beyond a reasonable doubt", while everyone else rolls their eyes at the fact that Texas seems to have an alarmingly high number of false convictions. Couple this with the fact that Texas is a death-row factory, and it makes a lot of people uneasy.

It also makes for fireworks. Which is why I guess this thread keeps popping up.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

See?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

USA, Texas and more.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              I think I've seen way too many threads on this topic. Texans/Republicans cheer the fact that DNA tests are exonerating people Texas courts have convicted with "beyond a reasonable doubt", while everyone else rolls their eyes at the fact that Texas seems to have an alarmingly high number of false convictions. Couple this with the fact that Texas is a death-row factory, and it makes a lot of people uneasy.

It also makes for fireworks. Which is why I guess this thread keeps popping up.
              I think it goes hand in hand with the fact that capital punishment cases cost a lot more when all the appeals are factored in.

If Texas got rid of the death penalty, and therefore the funding available for appealing capital punishment convictions was removed (no more capital punishment, no more capital punishment appeals) then the amount of exonerated people would go down. The amount of wrongfully convicted people wouldn't (it might even go up) but the exonerated would probably go down.

I'm not for capital punishment at all, I'm just stating a possible reason for the higher amount of exonerated people in Texas. Of course I could just be a **** as well.

Comment

$1.8 million is chump change compared to losing 23 years of your life. Still, it's good to see the morons in Texas didn't execute this innocent man like they've done to so many other innocent men.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

STFU, Oerdin. Go wonder where your state services went.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    They don't give a rat's ass about positive facts. Oh, Hell no. They like to wallow around in dirty little rumors, like pigs.
                    "Sorry for ****ing you over for 23 years of your life, here is a couple mill."

Yeah that is totally awesome.

Also, every state does that, not just Texas.
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I didn't say it was totally awesome, Lonestar. Why don't you try reading, too, before you run your mouth like these other jackasses? RE: Read your last line. Read up to where I said it was a terrible deal.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        I didn't say it was totally awesome, Lonestar. Why don't you try reading, too, before you run your mouth like these other jackasses? RE: Read your last line. Read up to where I said it was a terrible deal.

You only had three posts up to mine, Slowwhand, and one of them was your pointed at something other states do(for example, North Carolina) and crowing about it as if Texas was unique in it at it made up for hilarious miscarriages of justice.

By the way, you DIDN'T say it was a "terrible deal".

See?
                        STFU, Oerdin. Go wonder where your state services went.
                        In fact, you made a snarky comment when Oerdin had the audacity to comment that the money was a raw deal for losing 2 decades of your life.
                        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                        X