Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention Atlanta-area Polytubbies! (This means you, Siddiqui)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Atlanta-area Polytubbies! (This means you, Siddiqui)

My good ladywife shall be attending DragonCon, in order to gleem some ideas for promoting her upcoming novels. I shall be joining here on Saturday.

My question is simple: what the hell is there to do in downtown Atlanta? Good places to eat, etc? I believe we're staying at the Hilton Atlanta, downtown on Courtland St., near Peachtree.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Good cover for secret aspirations to dorkdom.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Secret?
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Who me?!

Hey, I'll be at DragonCon on Saturday too!

We can meet up if you wish (or not, if you don't have time)

Hilton is, I believe, connected to Peachtree Center. The area is fairly "mall-ish". You can grab a quick bite (mostly fast food) there if you wish. Most of the good dining options close to you are further north in Midtown or Buckhead (and most of those are just right off of Peachtree Rd [the main one]). Easiest way to get there is to take the MARTA (that's the train) or just walk if you feel like it. Midtown is probably the most fun area close by and about a mile north of where you are staying.

What do you feel like eating/drinking?

Also around the area if you feel like a DragonCon break (a little bit of a walk, but not horrid) is the Georgia Aquarium (largest aquarium in the world), World of Coca-Cola, CNN Center, Turner Field (I think the Braves are home this weekend).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
          I believe we're staying at the Hilton Atlanta, downtown on Courtland St., near Peachtree.
          Well hell yes, it's on Peachtree. The only question is, which Peachtree?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            Hey, I'll be at DragonCon on Saturday too!
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

God, nothing like Poly.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I am so glad to be at a point in life where I have no factual knowledge of exactly what DragonCon is. Not that I don't have a pretty good idea...
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I don't want to know. Don't! Don't even go there.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The "High Museum of Art"‎ is not too far from where you're staying (its on a MARTA stop). Unfortunately, my favorite Atlanta restaurant is in Alpharetta (way north of downtown). From my experiences, downtown is mostly fast food and high priced steakhouses. That doesnt mean that there arent good restaurants there, merely that I've missed them (I tend to stay "further out" and drive in for downtown events). I can tell you that you can get a DAMN LARGE cold Guinness from the greek place in the CNN center for $8 (which is always welcome after making the walk across from the convention center)
                    Last edited by SpencerH; September 3, 2009, 08:44.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                      God, nothing like Poly.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                        The "High Museum of Art"‎ is not too far from where you're staying (its on a MARTA stop).
                        That's true... and if it's a nice day, it's not too horrible a walk from Peachtree Center area (less than 2 miles) up Peachtree.

Unfortunately, my favorite Atlanta restaurant is in Alpharetta (way north of downtown).
                        Which one if I may ask? Is it 5 Seasons? (which I've heard is great, but never tried)

From my experiences, downtown is mostly fast food and high priced steakhouses. That doesnt mean that there arent good restaurants there, merely that I've missed them (I tend to stay "further out" and drive in for downtown events)
                        That's mostly true. I mean there is a "Taco Mac" in CNN Center (damned fine wings), but a lot of the good eats are in Midtown if you are in the area. If you get up there, DEFINITELY try to get to "The Vortex". Best burgers you'll ever have.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          That's true... and if it's a nice day, it's not too horrible a walk from Peachtree Center area (less than 2 miles) up Peachtree.

Which one if I may ask? Is it 5 Seasons? (which I've heard is great, but never tried)

That's mostly true. I mean there is a "Taco Mac" in CNN Center (damned fine wings), but a lot of the good eats are in Midtown if you are in the area. If you get up there, DEFINITELY try to get to "The Vortex". Best burgers you'll ever have.
                          I'm usually in Atlanta for volleyball tournaments so we dont hit any "fine dining" while there. We look for good ethnic food though and avoid the overpriced tourist traps and "American" restaurants (Applebees etc) like the plague.

I'm pretty sure I've had a few drinks and eaten at the Vortex while in Atlanta for a meeting. IIRC it has Guiness on tap so thats a good start.

It's the Ippolito's in Alpharetta (12850 Highway 9 N # 250). Its a "real" Italien-American restaurant (kinda like the good Italien-American places in Jersey). For my money its comparable to what you'll find along the coast around Venice. We tried another one on Roswell road. It was OK but not as good as the one in Alpharetta (which I think is the original).

Mellow Mushroom in Brookhaven was quite good for wood-baked pizza and an extensive on-tap beer selection.

I wish I knew some pit BBQ place to recommend in Atlanta but I dont. Guy cant visit the south and not have some real Q.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I can recommend a BBQ place, but you'd probably need a car to reach it (in either East or North directions).

I enjoy Mellow Mushroom. One of the best non-NY/NJ area pizza places I've been to (even though it is a chain).

Oh, and the Vortex has a bit more than just Guiness on tap, Guy, if you were wondering (and Taco Mac has like 50-100 on tap, depending on the location) .

Comment

What a coincidence, I am driving th ALT tommorrow after work. However, instead of not getting laid at Dragoncon I will be attending the Alabama/VT game at the Georgia Dome.

I also intend to hit up the Georgia aquarium, being a salt water aquarium keeper its been on my radar for years

I enjoy Mellow Mushroom. One of the best non-NY/NJ area pizza places I've been to (even though it is a chain).
                              We have one here in Charleston too, I will also recomend it, very good pies. I've been to the one in Columbia that wasn't so good.
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X