[hypothetical]What do you do when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [hypothetical]What do you do when...

You, as an engineer, are presented by your coworker/mentor with a proposal for training on an engineering subject and asks you if you think it would be worthwhile. You look over the training material and notice that it is quite expensive and not something you should be throwing money at and this economy and that the content may be a little to narrow to really do you any good. So, you say that, and the coworker replies with "oh, I was just wondering if you wanted to be an engineer still now that you are about to get your MBA. Most engineers who get their MBA do so because they don't want to be engineers."

You reply with, "Did I do something that would indicate I don't want to be an engineer or are you trying to convince me to do something else?"

To which they reply, "No, I just wanted to know what you want."

To which you reply, "regardless, if I need to know this material I should learn it, but as I see it the training isn't worthwhile." And the conversation ends, but you know your coworker is no dummy and will probably take skirtting the question as a negative to the question.

---

So say that this happened to you, hypothetically, and that you really weren't sure if engineering would give you the ROI that you were hoping to get on your extended education. And your coworkers were really well connected in many industries. And the economy really sucked. And you had a wife and, say, two kids to support, plus a mortgage. You weren't tied to area, at least not after you get your extended degree. So, you kind of need the job even if you don't want it, but seeing as there are no alternatives...

What would you do? Hypothetically of course.
    Monkey!!!

So is the question "do you take a job you don't want but that you need"? Because that's not really much of a question unless "need" here means something other than the dictionary definition of the word.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

You have the job currently, but those you work with are questioning whether you want to keep it
      Monkey!!!

Comment

**** 'em
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I wouldn't worry about this. The scenario is entirely implausible.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Did you tell your mentor your whole line of thinking or just "no" about the course? If I offered you a chance to attend an expensive and narrow course to increase your engineering credentials, I would expect you to say something positive. While that would include your critique if you said it all, I would not expect "no" without all those caveats. So my next question would be do you still want to be an engineer, given that you are getting MBA creds soon.

If above I've restated the outside of your head thinking that may have gone on, then you're welcome. If you did say all the caveats right up front, then you are not paranoid, they are out to get you. Your last paragraph indicates you need to be very discreet if you are going to look around,
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

The caveats were explained and then they asked about wanting to be an engineer. They even agreed with the caveats and that they weren't very good classes. So, the only reason to bring up the classes was to ask the question.

The ROI factor is a big issue. Engineers generally get paid quite a bit more than what this job is paying, and engineers with MBAs generally get paid quite a bit more than just engineers.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Danger Will Robinson. This isn't a good sign at all. You've been set up and likely because you have your MBA are quite a bit more expensive than the other engineers.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I don't think it's a set up, there's not enough people here to have that kind of politics. Don't get me wrong, it very well could be, but I know my boss, and he wouldn't send someone else to do his job. However, if it formed a question then it is a concern and the air needs to be cleared... I guess.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

I think you're a freaking paranoid. They asked your opinion. Give it.
                    If they're going to get rid of you, they are. This isn't a "make it or break it" deal.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

They knew I was getting my MBA when they hired me. So I don't see why they would get rid of me for it.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

I'm with slow, you're over thinking this one.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sounds to me like they want to know your intended career path, i.e. engineering or eng. management. Or, god forbid, marketing management.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Well, I think they got their answer as they haven't approached the subject since.

Nice thing is I have figured out what I want to be (at age 34), now I just have to work at it. I totally flubbed a marketing presentation last night, ticked me off.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post

Nice thing is I have figured out what I want to be (at age 34)
                              Don't feel bad. When I was in my 30's if it was Tuesdays, I wanted to be part of management, but on Wednesday's I wanted to be a developer/technician. It took a lot of money to finalize that decision.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X