Seperate and Unequal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
    Then read where Siro authenticated it, and STFU.
    This is ludicrous. He never even referred to this statistic. But hey--you have a point, I really should put more effort into checking it out.
    All that comes up on a google search is this same article, cited over and over again in blogs and Palestinian websites. Glad to know it comes from a reliable source.
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

lol political correctness LOL

Comment

Isreal sucks!
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
          I probably should have highlighted the really offensive point, that Israel spends 1/10th as much per Arab (non-Jewish) student as per Jewish.
          I read a similar statistic elsewhere, and I'm not sure of its scientific validity and how exactly it was reached. However the spending is certainly not equal. AFAIK It depends more on the school's placement and poor local authorities than it does on racist central planning (at least in the last 20 years). Schools in large cities get more money, while schools in small (and politically weaker) towns get less money. Nonetheless, it is shameful and i hope it changes.

However that statistic has little to do with the main case of discrimination for little Dana, brought as a prime example, since the day care is not part of the israeli education system. If you had wanted to discuss that statistic you should have brought a relevant example.

The article is ridden with irrelevant statistics such as private schools. AFAIK private schools are mostly attended AFAIK by children of middle class christian arab schools whose families traditionally put them in private schools where they get christian education. They traditionally beat the crap out all state public schools with incredibly high exams averages.
          Last edited by Sirotnikov; August 18, 2009, 21:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post

Siro. What exactly is a probability distribution that doesn't sum to one?

The degree to which a subset of the population commits a murder more than the mean is NOT the likelyhood of that subset commuting a murder [over a given period]. The latter is exactly what a reasonable person would think it would be.
            maybe i was unclear in wording - i meant the percentage of 'group' murderers out of of total murderers THEN compared to the % of group in population.

Code:
                      (black murderers) / (total murderes)
            result = ------------------------------------
                       (black people) / (total population)
            this compares the prevalence of group members convicted of a crime, compared to their size in the population.

this number then can be compared for blacks vs. arab israelis vs. russian israelis vs. gay canadians.

if there are better methods for comparing this, you're welcome to share.

Comment

people in that kindergarden are ****. no suprise.

in any case, all of this "Israel spends X on this and Y on that" is bull****.

Arab municipalities don't collect property taxes properly, and corruption is rife there due to extended families politicking. They don't spend money which leads to less spending in arab speaking schools. Considering the fact that Most arabs don't live in mixed cities ( although there is nothing that stops them from doing so), this can lead to whatever the **** you want.

The whole thing must be adressed on a systematic level - destroy municipal autonomy, create some 6 regions. Appoint governors. Enforce laws. Fund a single education system for all, with Hebrew as primary language, and arab as secondary. This is the correct solution. Of course, it's completely unfeasible politically, because of the weakness of central government.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az View Post
                people in that kindergarden are ****. no suprise.

in any case, all of this "Israel spends X on this and Y on that" is bull****.

Arab municipalities don't collect property taxes properly, and corruption is rife there due to extended families politicking. They don't spend money which leads to less spending in arab speaking schools. Considering the fact that Most arabs don't live in mixed cities ( although there is nothing that stops them from doing so), this can lead to whatever the **** you want.

The whole thing must be adressed on a systematic level - destroy municipal autonomy, create some 6 regions. Appoint governors. Enforce laws. Fund a single education system for all, with Hebrew as primary language, and arab as secondary. This is the correct solution. Of course, it's completely unfeasible politically, because of the weakness of central government.
                you think its politically feasible to set up a governor overseeing an area filled with small corrupt arab authorities, without being labeled racist and having that image trumpeted on BBC?

i don't see the arab culture leaving extended family politics any time soon. Heck, you have similar level of extended family politics with a good percentage of jewish civilians too. The Amir Peretz clan is just one example.

I'd wish all Israelis studied a similar program, without crappy autonomous alternate systems. But orthodox Jews will be the first to object.

Studying arabic as an official language is important though, not less than English.

Comment

a) I told you it was politically unfeasible - not because of racism or whatever, but there is not enough internal political will to make that happen.
                  b) lol tell me more about the famed Amir Peretz clan, without doubt the strongest family in Israel.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

his clan is strong in leading city-level politics in several communal authorities in the south, in a similar fashion to arab clan politics, though not in the same scale.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirotnikov View Post
                      maybe i was unclear in wording - i meant the percentage of 'group' murderers out of of total murderers THEN compared to the % of group in population.

Code:
                                (black murderers) / (total murderes)
                      result = ------------------------------------
                                 (black people) / (total population)
                      this compares the prevalence of group members convicted of a crime, compared to their size in the population.

this number then can be compared for blacks vs. arab israelis vs. russian israelis vs. gay canadians.

if there are better methods for comparing this, you're welcome to share.
                      Christ, Siro.

We are talking about a specific measurement. "[L]ikelyhood [of members of a demographic group] to commit murder [over a specific time interval]." There are not a lot of ways to write down that expression based on the variables you just wrote. You are writing a completely different expression. Honestly, are you going to force me to write the real one?

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

• You should have put him on ignore like I did. I think he's got time served now, though.

Thanks for reminding me to take him off.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Puting people on ignore is boring.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                            KH: devil's advocate: there is a huge difference between individual murders and terrorist attacks.
                            you're still dead
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Az View Post
                              Puting people on ignore is boring.
                              Not ignoring BK is bad for your heart.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X