X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [serious] Off Topic Moderation Input - Part 2

Part 1: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185361

This thread is for your input on all things related to moderation in the off topic.

For reference the topics of interest from the original thread were as follows:

1. What is the purpose of the OTF forum

2. How should we deal with personal attacks, flames, etc.

3. How should we deal with thread jacking

4. How should we deal with user-spam (not commercial spam)

5. Is there anything in these forums you miss? What kinda debates / topics aren't possible here but would be good for the OTF, what can we do to bring them here?

6. Are there reasons for you to post or not post in this forum

7. Do you like the idea of a 'closed threads' forum, or do you prefer to keep closed threads in the forum, or do you prefer them to be deleted completely?

8. What can in general be done to make the OTF a better place

9. What should remain to keep the OTF a good place?

10. Anything else?
    Input on all those topics whether in principle or based on decisions made is welcome.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

You don't listen anyway.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Expect to see a lot of this...

10. Anything else?

...to the exclusion of the other nine topics.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I asked about #4 in the last thread and was told that wasn't their department. Posters are apparently supposed to look after that on their own.

This thread reminds me of the "Suggestion Box" placed at the doorway of a business. Emptied each night without a second glance.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Everyone has a different opinion. We definitely won't change what we do based on every comment anyone says in this thread, but we will read them and take them under consideration.

The issue here was: Someone posted in every thread on the first page to get their name all down the page. Some posters said it was annoying.

Here are my thoughts on it in more detail:

It's a pretty clear rule of thumb that whatever rules you make up, people will try and show that they are stupid and break them if only so they can have fun arguing about it.

People tend to do this at low posting times when moderators aren't around, so if we do anything about it it's normally too late, any annoyance will already have been caused and the threads will have moved on. By the time I get in in the morning I can only tell it's happened if people are complaining about it.

If someone posts in 40 threads in a row, because they find them interesting and no-one else happens to be online posting at the time that's totally legitimate. So the question is, was a poster trying a "Tuberski" or just posting. Now, we all know that it's very unlikely to be legitimate posting, but any poster out to cause moderation strife worth their salt will claim that they were just posting normally and it was just chance that they filled the whole page, that's certainly what I'd do.

So if we ban people for Tuberski attempts it's inevitable that we'll end up having massive arguments that go on for days about whether people filled up the page with their name by posting legitimately or not. That seems more disruptive than the Tuberski itself.

We could say "You can only reply to X threads in a row before anyone else replies". Which is similar to banning Tuberski attempts, but with a lower level then 40 of threads. That'd be an arbitrary and annoying limit, hard to police and even more open to abuse. And again, I think the arguments are more disruptive than the spam.

We could give people a Post Count Reduction, but no-one seriously cares about Post Count enough for that to be a punishment.

Summary:

I think policing it is a waste of moderator time, it happens rarely and is only of minor annoyance. However, we're aware people find it more annoying than I do and have complained. If it starts happening too frequently I'll probably post a "I'm really disappointed in you" message to the posters involved. That's if Lori and JM haven't banned them first.
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

On the subject of Tuberskis, I've just found that they are incredibly hard to pull off.

We should give prizes to people who achieve them. Especially at certain times of day.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I have to say that I don't particularly care about tuberskis, unless they are done repeatedly. All I'm really concerned with as moderator here is seeing that discussion stays fresh. I don't like it when we become bogged down in the same old back and forth petty insults.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I pull Tuberski's at CG, but I like starting the threads so that the titles create a sentence and then you can bump the words around to say funny things
                Monkey!!!

Comment

It's easier at CG, you can probably get a 12 hour window to accomplish it.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                    I have to say that I don't particularly care about tuberskis, unless they are done repeatedly. All I'm really concerned with as moderator here is seeing that discussion stays fresh. I don't like it when we become bogged down in the same old back and forth petty insults.

Why did your mother name you Lori?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                      Why did your mother name you Lori?
                      Does your mother know you're gay?
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Probably not.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

So we can say **** now?

edit: guess not, but if we combine the word with something else like dip****
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

That was change awhile ago when people complained about not being able to discuss matsu****a hardware.
                            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Can we discuss s****horpe?
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X