Woman accused of running strip club in basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
    So did Teh Raygun. And the states made a reasonable "choice".

5% less highway funds or lower drinking age... they made their choice
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post

5% less highway funds or lower drinking age... they made their choice
      Democracy in action Putin Reagan style.
      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Happy Raygun
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          That was also based on federal funding (for... something)... but in the last few years either it was delinked or it didn't matter as most states have higher speed limits.
          I thought that was actually imposed by federal statute. I think I remember it being repealed in the mid-90s, but I was an undergrad then, so it's a bit hazy. It's possible they were linked afterward, but I don't remember that at all.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

It was linked to highway repair funds actually:

The Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act was a bill in the legislature of the United States federal government that enacted the 55 mph National Maximum Speed Law.[10]States had to agree to the limit if they desired to receive federal funding for highway repair.

In the April 2, 1987 Surface Transportation and Uniform Relocation Assistance Act, Congress permitted states to raise speed limits to 65 mph (105 km/h) on rural Interstate highways.[12]

Congress lifted all federal speed limit controls in the November 28, 1995 National Highway Designation Act, fully delegating speed limit authority to the states. Several states immediately reverted to already existing laws.

In order to get around Constitutional considerations about federalism, the federal government had to tie it to federal funding.

Comment

nm.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
              X