Magnificent desolation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnificent desolation

I have to say, I am horribly disappointed in this forum. Either the search function is utterly and completely broken and in desperate need of repair, or no one at all has mentioned that today is the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 launch.

And you call this a tech forum? Bah.

(And yes, I know that the title is from a different Apollo mission. Still one of my favorite lines about the moon.)

Wraith
    "The world is being Americanized and technologized to its limits, and that makes it dull for some people. Reaching the Moon restores the frontier and gives us the lands beyond."
    — Isaac Asimov

It's more fun to insult one another.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

For me, the anniversary is a landmark of how little we have progressed in spacefaring since Apollo. Nostalgia for something that was accomplished well before I was born just doesn't get me up in the morning.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The launch really isn't that impressive TBH.

The landing on the other hand, well that's something else entirely.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Tech forum?
          "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
          "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

How exciting could it have been if they copied over the original tapes?
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

The landing is the 20th, Monday. I know about it, so don't get so high and mighty.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

faked

Comment

--"The launch really isn't that impressive TBH"

Oh, come on. Surely everyone here has played Civ. You know what happens when you launch the ship to Alpha Centauri. The landing is important, of course, but the launch is, too ^_^

--"For me, the anniversary is a landmark of how little we have progressed in spacefaring since Apollo"

This I certainly agree with. At least this time around we've got companies like Space X and Armadillo Aerospace moving in. They're no Pan-Am, but they're also no Constellation cluster****. (Not that they don't have their own FUBARs to deal with, but at least there's more than one.)

Wraith
                  "What beauty. I saw clouds and their light shadows on the distant dear earth.... The water looked like darkish, slightly gleaming spots.... When I watched the horizon, I saw the abrupt, contrasting transition from the earth's light-colored surface to the absolutely black sky. I enjoyed the rich color spectrum of the earth. It is surrounded by a light blue aureole that gradually darkens, becoming turquoise, dark blue, violet, and finally coal black."
                  — Yuri Gagarin

Comment

It's Apolyton, not Apolloton
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Wraith, I've had the pleasure in nuking an AI's capital after they launched. Launching is important, yes, but it's all about the landing.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
                        faked
                        i, for one, am utterly shocked at your lack of faith in our fair government, our honest media, and the selfless acts of human beings throughout our nations history.

it will take me a while to get over this one.
                        Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith View Post
                          This I certainly agree with. At least this time around we've got companies like Space X and Armadillo Aerospace moving in. They're no Pan-Am, but they're also no Constellation cluster****. (Not that they don't have their own FUBARs to deal with, but at least there's more than one.)
                          I am willing to bet all takers that SpaceX will make it to Mars before NASA will.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The first images of the Apollo landing sites taken from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter have been released by NASA, just in time for the anniversary.

Spaceflight Now article

Apollo 14 site:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X