No announcement yet.

Nokia is dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They shouldn´t have closed down their factories in Bochum, Germany withouzt a warning a few years ago.
    This pissed off a lot of people here and cost Nokia a lot of customers here (especially as they wrongfully got a lot of subsidies from the government (they got them under certain preconditions, which Nokia finally failed to meet) and refused to pay them back)

So, well, I won´t shed a tear for Nokia

Well, my Handy is a THC Touch Diamond, it is a very good PDA with Handy functionality and therefore perfectly suited for my uses. Can even connect to my W-LAN at home (which sadly isn´t possible with Blackberrys), with the only drawback being a somewhat weak akku.
    Don´t think that Nokia has anything comparable on the market
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      Not bull****, my dear. It's fact.

The BB is world's better for rapid-fire email exchange. I'm not expecting you to understand, you doodle for a living in a third-world country.

I use both a BB and an iPhone on a daily basis, and I develop software for them both. Sorry, buddy. Typing on the blackberry is and will always be faster. The physical keys and the layout make a huge difference.

Keyboard aside, the iPhone hasn't until very recently even established basic functionality for business productivity. Lack of copy & paste and the lack of being able to send meeting invites from the iPhone were the biggies.

Stuff it's still missing include the lack of true push email. Send an email to a Blackberry and it instantly is notified and the LED indicates new messages. Send it to the iPhone and it can take 15 minutes to know. You can enable 'push notifications' on OS3.0, which suck for Exchange as it basically interrupts everything you're doing to let you know you got some email from some idiot at work. Blackberry also has keyboard shortcuts and controls which make working with large email boxes much quicker.

Rapid-fire Email Exchange? :mega-puke:

Most of these advantages (that supposedly iPhone can't do, even without apps) you mention would not be used by 90% of the people who use the damn phone. All they want to do is the simple stuff, they don't care about being savvy, no time for that ****. The reason the iPhone is better is because of it's intuitive design and it's apps, end of story.
      be free

Comment

in other news

Finnish telecoms giant Nokia and Microsoft have confirmed they are to merge their businesses in a joint venture.

The move - first announced earlier this year - can be seen as an attempt to gain a march on giants Samsung and Apple.

Nokia sold about 50 million mobile phones last year, with pro forma revenues of $7.2bn (£4.9bn).

Both companies are expected to continue selling the products under their current brand names, with a new brand name expected in the second half of next year.

There are clear advantages to both companies of a merger, David Clevely, managing director of Analysys, told the BBC's World Business Report.

Unpopular phones

"Nokia have produced some extremely good mobile phones, but they don't sell very well because the consumers don't like them very much...Microsoft has has failed to get into what other would otherwise be a natural consumer gadget market for them," he said.

"Microsoft has got a very major market in Europe...despite of the EU penalties," he said. "In mobile products, it has been pretty bad at making any inroads."

"The mobile market is nowadays dominated by Apple, it is very difficult for other smaller manufacturers to get in and grab a slice of the cake," he said.

"They have a good chance of overcoming what would otherwise be a pretty difficult trick to pull off," he said.
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Merger? There's got to be some bad reporting there.

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post
            People who bought a BB for work purposes have been suckered.
            I would say that 80% of the people I work with use blackberries at work while around 50% of my friends use blackberries at work. The 50% who don't use them don't really have demanding professional jobs which use a lot of email but the half which do have blackberries. It's considered a standard professional work tool in most of California.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Most of these advantages (that supposedly iPhone can't do, even without apps) you mention would not be used by 90% of the people who use the damn phone. All they want to do is the simple stuff, they don't care about being savvy, no time for that ****. The reason the iPhone is better is because of it's intuitive design and it's apps, end of story.
              Spoken like someone who does not use it as a work device.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Are you ****ing kidding me?

You clearly have no concept whatsoever for how businessmen use blackberries. The fact that they have the app store and a cute design is ****ing useless to the guy who needs to use the blackberry to plow through his inbox while on the train, etc.

You seriously are very clueless for how real people use their devices. Again, I honestly don't expect an artist in Singapore to have any concept for how Blackberries are used in a modern enterprise. The iPhone is a very poor substitute at the moment for that kind of use.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                  I would say that 80% of the people I work with use blackberries at work while around 50% of my friends use blackberries at work. The 50% who don't use them don't really have demanding professional jobs which use a lot of email but the half which do have blackberries. It's considered a standard professional work tool in most of California.
                  Most of the world, not just California. It's standard business equipment for most.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    Are you ****ing kidding me?

You clearly have no concept whatsoever for how businessmen use blackberries. The fact that they have the app store and a cute design is ****ing useless to the guy who needs to use the blackberry to plow through his inbox while on the train, etc.

You seriously are very clueless for how real people use their devices. Again, I honestly don't expect an artist in Singapore to have any concept for how Blackberries are used in a modern enterprise. The iPhone is a very poor substitute at the moment for that kind of use.
                    Go ahead Asher, enlighten my 3rd world country brain.
                    be free

Comment

It's impossible. I'm sorry.

Comment

No seriously, go ahead, what are the other reasons you have that so many businessmen would use the BB over the iPhone because the iPhone can't do it or is poor at it.
                        be free

Comment

I do not comprehend why you are asking what is already answered in this thread?

You can absolutely type faster on a Blackberry than an iPhone. It's not only the size of the keyboard like you seem to think it is (bizarre, BTW), it's the physical keys, tactile keyboard, layout of the keyboards, etc. Stuff like punctuation and numbers are far, far easier to type on the BB. As I've said, I have a corporate BB and a personal iPhone and I've used both extensively. The Blackberry is a far better device to type on.

While you seem to think the iPhone UI is better, it's actually worse for email. The scrolling ball on the BB is far easier to scan through emails with, it doesn't require you obscure the screen at all by clicking on it, and the email app itself is far faster and easier to quickly navigate. The iPhone's is more "user friendly" but at the expense of usability.

And most importantly, the iPhone's Exchange support is lacking. While the Blackberry sends and receives email instantly, the iPhone fakes its "push email" by regularly polling at 5-15 minute intervals. If you enable 'new email notifications' you get a very obtrusive, annoying full-screen popup every time you get a new message or have it display on the badge of the icon, but this requires you're at the home screen to see it and the display is on (not inactive). The BB will illuminate the LED on the device, which is far more useful and unobtrusive. And you can actually have real-time email conversations with the BB, unlike the iPhone's Exchange support.

Since this is BY FAR the #1 use of the Blackberry, it is essential.

Put bluntly, for an artist to understand:
                          - The Blackberry is first and foremost a typing and communication device. It's designed around email and text messaging, with secondary support for things like custom apps and web browsing.
                          - The iPhone is first and foremost a media device. It's designed around music, video, games, and web browsing, with secondary support for communication like email and IM. Nowhere is this more clear than looking at how long it's taking to add basic features to the iPhone. OS3 finally added basic functionality like ACCEPTING A MEETING INVITATION or CREATING A MEETING. Before that, it was read-only. MMS text messaging finally added 2 years after it came out! It's clear where the iPhone's priorities are to most people.

They each have their own strengths. The Blackberry is the better device for business enterprise users.

Comment

If you read my sentence clearly, I said "other" reasons, since the reasons you have laid out are boring and worthless reasons to have a BB phone over an iPhone.

Why would a businessman want to carry around two phones? Isn't that just stupid and self-defeating.
                            be free

Comment

****ing ******.

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X