United Breaks Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Breaks Guitars

Rock & Roll Daily, Your non-stop music news source.
    Previous Next Latest
    Dave Carroll’s Airline Mishap Goes Viral in “United Breaks Guitars”

7/13/09, 1:03 pm EST

Five days after Dave Carroll posted a $150 video for the twangy “United Breaks Guitars” on YouTube, his band Sons of Maxwell were met with “almost militant” requests for the song at their Friday gig at Codstock in Arichat, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. The video, which chronicles the country rocker’s arduous (and failed) attempt to get compensation from United Airlines after baggage handlers damaged his $3,500 Taylor guitar, has received almost 2.5 million views, as of today (watch it, above).

“Everybody was calling for that song the minute we hit the stage,” says Carroll from his home in Halifax, NS. The concert was sold out long before the video was ever released, but it was the first time Sons of Maxwell had performed “United Breaks Guitars” since the insanity began, including international media attention, most notably a clip on CNN’s The Situation Room.

“It was unbelievable, 1,500 people raising their hands in the air to the ‘united breaks guitars’ tag line in the chorus,” says Carroll. “The cool thing though was that everyone was smiling and laughing when they were singing it. It’s not a working man’s angry protest song.”

He returned home from tour Sunday night to 4,000 e-mails from people with commiserating stories, offers and praise for his music. Carroll says his personal Website had gone from 40 to 50 hits a week ago to 50,000 by Thursday. Sales of Sons of Maxwell’s eight albums and Carroll’s solo disc have increased from “one or two a day online to probably hundreds,” he estimates, thanks to his viral smash. Other airlines have offered him free trips to experience their customer service and Bob Taylor of Taylor Guitars personally telephoned, offering two guitars of his choice and props to use in the second video about the incident.

The second song is a “lighthearted” lyric about Ms. Irlweg, the “unflappable” customer service rep at United who said last December the “matter was closed.” The third song in the trilogy will be about the outcome and is not yet written.

On Friday, Carroll spoke with Rob Bradford at customer solutions for United Airlines, who offered $1,200 to cover the repair, which he already paid out, and a matching amount in flight vouchers. “I said it would please me more if they could find somebody that was down on their luck or needed flights or the money and surprise them with a gift to raise their spirits and to try to turn the tide on what was happening here between the two of us,” says Carroll.

But above all, he’s glad new listeners are getting a listen to his music thanks to the ton of free advertising. “The thing that I like most about this is that this song is quirky and fun, but I’m getting all this attention now from people saying, ‘I appreciate what you did with the video but I really like Sons of Maxwell and what you did solo and I’m buying your CDs now.’ ”
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Somebody beat you to this one a long time ago... But still a good story.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm slow.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
        I'm slow.
        Happens, once you pas 16 years old.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

not a fan of the genre. I think it'd work better as a death metal song.

Heard about this story. Is it legit? It seems to me anyone can make any **** up and post it on youtube. I suppose if it was libel they could go after them? I'm unclear on the law here. But for all we know the guitar was broken by him, and he's just trying to get United to foot the bill.

Comment

Taylors are great guitars.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They broke his guitar in an attempt to prevent him from making anymore music. He needs to take the hint.

Comment

Soo stupid.

It was what, 3,500 from United to reimburse him for damages?

How much do you think that song is costing them?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

It seems to me anyone can make any **** up and post it on youtube. I suppose if it was libel they could go after them? I'm unclear on the law here. But for all we know the guitar was broken by him, and he's just trying to get United to foot the bill.
                  That's where the libel laws come in.

I'm not an lawyer, but his songs mostly sticks to facts and supported allegations and on such grounds is not easily passed off as libel. If it was pure libel, united would have sued him already. Which they didn't. Instead they said they're willing to offer a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    Soo stupid.

It was what, 3,500 from United to reimburse him for damages?

How much do you think that song is costing them?
                    Now if only everyone could get 10 million views for a song when some big corporation screws them.

Comment

Now if only everyone could get 10 million views for a song when some big corporation screws them.
                      If 1 percent of those have ever flown united and would boycott them from a single flight, that's almost 50 million dollars. Ouch.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                      X