Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's okay for white men to be biased, but not for minority group members to be biased.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's okay for white men to be biased, but not for minority group members to be biased.

By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer Laurie Kellman, Associated Press Writer – Tue Jul 14, 6:28 pm ET

WASHINGTON – Sen. Jeff Sessions, the Republican equating Sonia Sotomayor's supposed empathy with racial bias, was blocked from the federal bench himself two decades ago for making insensitive remarks about the Ku Klux Klan and the NAACP.

The third-term Alabama senator, this week at least, is the face of a party without a clear leader. His role strikes some as hypocritical. But arguably, no one knows more intimately what a political minefield race has been for the GOP.

Nominated by President Ronald Reagan to the federal bench, Sessions, then a federal prosecutor, was attacked by liberals for "gross insensitivity" on matters of race. Notably, he is reported to have joked that the KKK — a violent white supremacist group during much of its history — wouldn't be so bad but for their use of marijuana. The NAACP and the American Civil Liberties Union, he allegedly said, were communist-inspired and tried to force civil rights down people's throats.

Sessions' nomination never made it to the Senate floor. His home-state senator, the late Howell Heflin, voted against him.

Flash forward two decades and Sessions, 62, is more than just a survivor; he was one of the biggest winners in the 2008 elections. Sixty-four percent of his state voted to return him to Washington in a year when the electorate roundly rejected Republicans nationally.

So thorough was the GOP rout nationally that Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter, previously the lead Republican on the Judiciary Committee and its former chairman, abandoned the GOP for the Democrats. Republicans gave Sessions a shot at the big time — not because he is particularly senior or well-known, but because he might buck up the GOP base.

Sessions is the personification of a party with an overwhelmingly white, Southern, religious membership. Where judicial matters are concerned, Sessions gives voice to conservatives' opposition to "liberal activist judges" who he believes try to usurp Congress' lawmaking duties.

Some observers considered racial bias too sensitive a topic for Sessions and the panel's six other Republicans - all white men - to confront.

Not so. Sessions led off the questioning for the Republicans by asking Sotomayor about a selection of remarks, one at a time, in which he said she seemed to say that a jurist's personal background might affect his or her legal decisions.

He went immediately to her now-famous statement from a 2001 speech that she hoped that a "wise Latina" would make a better decision than a white male who did not have the same life experiences.

"As a judge who has taken this oath, I am very troubled that you would repeatedly over a decade or more make statements" like that one, Sessions said.

What about her statement in which she wondered aloud "whether achieving the goal of impartiality is possible at all?" Sessions asked.

"Aren't you saying there that you expect your background and heritage to influence your decision-making?" he asked.

She didn't accept that.

"I believe my record of 17 years demonstrates fully that I do believe that law — that judges must apply the law and not make the law," she said. "Whether I've agreed with a party or not, found them sympathetic or not, in every case I have decided, I have done what the law requires."

But Sessions kept up his narrative.

"I think it's consistent in the comments I've quoted to you and your previous statements that you do believe that your backgrounds will affect the result in cases," he said. "That is not impartiality."

Sotomayor stuck to her guns.

"No, sir. As I've indicated, my record shows that at no point or time have I ever permitted my personal views or sympathies to influence an outcome of a case," she replied. "I do not permit my sympathies, personal views, or prejudices to influence the outcome of my cases."

Sessions did get Sotomayor to back off her "wise Latina" comment. Sotomayor said she was trying to inspire young minority law students — a "rhetorical flourish that fell flat."

"It was bad," she said.
    Senator Jeff Sessions and his hypocrisy
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

She knows just what to say to avoid actually answering for her past rulings. They blatantly show racial or personal bias, but now she knows what to say to make them seem null and void. This is cronyism at its finest, wonder which dem in power gave her answers for the test.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
    "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

All politicians are hypocrites MrFun, haven't you learned that **** yet?
      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Well, he was definitely correct about the ACLU's members and activities being inspired by communists to attack prayer in school and other atheistic agendas. And he was probably correct about KKK dopeheads.

I fail to see how a claim that the NAACP is inspired in action or philosophy by communists is bigoted or biased in terms of racism. It should also be noted that he didn't stereotype the NAACP as dopeheads, so he missed the really obvious bigoted remark.

The liberal weenies who pilloried Sessions for offhand jokes are completely blind to the deliberated, pointed, and blatantly racist remarks by Sotomayor.

So, no, the two are not comparable in any meaningful way and bringing it up shows the complete lack of substance afflicting the left. They can't do anything more than say, "Is not, and you're a pig!"
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Your focus is much too narrow. I'm serious. You need to get a grip, Mr Fun. There is more to life that gay black men. I know, to you that the epitome, but it's really not. Maybe to Prince or someone, but not overall.
          Last edited by SlowwHand; July 14, 2009, 23:46.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Straybow beat me to it. I have plenty of disdain for Sessions, and think Sotomayor's record on the bench trumps her extra-judicial statements enough to make that line of questioning a tempest in a teapot, but the two situations are so dissimilar as to make the comparison ludicrous. Even if the two were comparable, it's now Sessions job to ask the nominee about things he finds concerning. Hypocrisy is a non-factor. Remember also that he was voted down, and no worse outcome is on the table (especially since her confirmation is all but pro forma at this point) for Sotomayor. How is it hypocritical to want the same fate you faced for someone you think has made the same error you made?
            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Well, he was definitely correct about the ACLU's members and activities being inspired by communists to attack prayer in school and other atheistic agendas

While there are definite links to the Communists in the very early days of the ACLU, I'm interested to know what, if anything, you're basing this on regarding the ACLU since circa 1940.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's okay for white men to be biased, but not for minority group members to be biased.
                Exactly the other way around.

Consider: NAACP, a pro-black organization, is celebrated and actively supported by the govt and we are all expected to support it or we are "racists"; while KKK or any similar a pro-white organization which springs up is a taboo and actively opposed by the govt and we are all expected to hate and oppose it or we are "racists".

Comment

The KKK is more than a pro-white organization.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well, KKK was pretty much a terrorist umbrella group for most of it's history if I believe the history books I have read which have touched on the subject. But that's dodging the point.

If being a supporting member of NAACP automatically gets you branded you "good" and "tolerant" in the eyes of media, why do you think being a supporting member of NAAWP yield similar results?

Simple: because there's a double standard, and it's applied precisely the opposite way than MrFun is presuming.

Comment

That's exactly the point. It's like comparing the Vatican to Al Qaeda.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

you ever wonder why pro-white groups automatically get transformed as hostile and violent terrorist "hate groups" in the media, while pro-black groups are automatically elevated to be peaceful, much-needed and cost-efficient groups for "civil rights", "racial harmony" and similar good things?

for the same reason why sotomayor (currently considered for SCOTUS) gets away with his blatantly anti-white comments, while all attention has to be deflected to sessions', whose election to any position is not being currently under consideration. there's an unwritten double standard. the first step in trying to eliminate it is to stop keeping it as a taboo.

Comment

Please demonstrate where a nonviolent and nonhostile pro-white group was transformed as hostile and violent by the media.
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I have no idea, since all my information is dependant from said media sources If you're looking for the truth, I don't have it, but I'm not believing what I'm reading anymore.

edit: again, I only had a single point in this thread and 4 replies are way too much for it: all sorts of pro-"minority" comments are automatically good, while any sort of pro-white comment is automatically "racist". this is racial bias, and it's existance is easy to see. it's the reason why sotomayor is considered for her job, altough not being the most qualified person for the it.
                            Last edited by RGBVideo; July 15, 2009, 04:16.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                              I have no idea, since all my information is dependant from said media sources If you're looking for the truth, I don't have it, but I'm not believing what I'm reading anymore.
                              So you're solution is to make **** up?
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X