No announcement yet.

North Korea warns of nuclear war amid rising tensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just tough talk. I don't think NK is that suicidal.

Comment

Originally posted by trev View Post
      Mass precision air strikes and cruise missiles etc obviously are part of the equation, along with every other weapon suitable for an early extreme bombardment, certainly they can fire back, but hopefully they will get limited rounds out of their artillery before destruction.
      Not sure what you mean by NBC.
      Amphibuous and paratroop landings are essential to throw Norths planning into chaos and restrict their responses.
      Personally I suspect that a lack of ability to resupply front lines quickly due to fuel and logistics shortages will see North Korea fall quicker than genereally expected.
      and how would you coordinate a huge amphibious landing with the element of surprise? No large troop movement like that would go unnoticed. With sailors/soldiers having internet capability the element of surprise in any war is nil.

Comment

I just can't believe you guys are talking about pre-emptive strikes. We got out asses handed to us pretty badly in Korea. Considering we were the superpower and all. Yeah we didn't lose, but we took very heavy losses. Especially up in N. Korea. Although the chinese incursion didn't help... The infantry war was very brutal. It is the forgotten war. People just don't realize how many people died.

NK will never use their nukes. You know the #1 reason why these countries have nukes? So the U.S. won't invade them. I consider that a legitimate excuse. When you have psychos like Bush invading every damn country, you can't be too careful. NK has every right to have nuclear weapons.

Comment

I didn't see it in the above article, but Kim Jong also said the U.S. has nukes in S. Korea.

The most recent sanctions amount to acts of war. Sure they are sanctioned by the 'international community' aka New York and London financial interests.

I'm no fan of Kim Jong or the N Korean gov't, but they are not the aggressors here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
            I just can't believe you guys are talking about pre-emptive strikes. We got out asses handed to us pretty badly in Korea. Considering we were the superpower and all. Yeah we didn't lose, but we took very heavy losses. Especially up in N. Korea. Although the chinese incursion didn't help... The infantry war was very brutal. It is the forgotten war. People just don't realize how many people died.

NK will never use their nukes. You know the #1 reason why these countries have nukes? So the U.S. won't invade them. I consider that a legitimate excuse. When you have psychos like Bush invading every damn country, you can't be too careful. NK has every right to have nuclear weapons.
            Get of the kick Bush bandwagon. You sound like a parrot.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Iranian protester killed after opposition rally (AP)
              A protester allegedly injured by gunfire from pro-government militia is helped by another protester near a rally supporting leading opposition presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi in Tehran, Iran, Monday, June 15, 2009. Hundreds of thousands gathered in Azadi (Freedom) square in Tehran to support Mousavi, who claims there was election fraud in Friday's vote.

Bush did it, I know.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by HalfLotus View Post
                I didn't see it in the above article, but Kim Jong also said the U.S. has nukes in S. Korea.

The most recent sanctions amount to acts of war. Sure they are sanctioned by the 'international community' aka New York and London financial interests.

I'm no fan of Kim Jong or the N Korean gov't, but they are not the aggressors here.
                I'll just assume you are trolling here. We have every right to sanction. We are not the aggressors. So far, no one is the aggressor. It's all been just words so far... And yes I said they have a right to nuclear weapons, and subsequently, we have a right to sanction them for them. But as I said, they haven't done anything aside from a few tests.

Comment

China doesn't really want to get involved in this war if it kicks off. They have a prime goal right now, economy. The country itself is doing better than the rest of the world economically, but its effects are still heavy. A war on the Korean peninsula with China siding with NK is economic suicide for China, neutrality is there main goal. Now supply them arms and info, maybe, but they won't get into a shooting war with the western world.

Kim Jong Ill has proven time and time again that he is a psychopath, and his sons are educated by US education, but are just as crazy as he is. If a preemptive strike fails to eliminate their artillery, supply lines, missile sites, and other support by fire elements we can guarantee that they will dig in and nuke. The element of surprise is easier to maintain in Korea that you would think.

Just think about this, the US and ROK troops do alot of training exercises in the field....big ones. Every time they do one NK gets all pissy and says we are mobilizing, happened to me a few times when I was there. Take into account also, all armored combat vehicles *IE M1s, and M2s* are combat loaded at all times, even during training. Also, during training you train as though you ARE at war. Happens a lot, these training events. Or hell the other way, get a bunch of AF jets loaded up and just blanket bomb the whole country until they lose the will to fight.
                  "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
                  "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

You misunderstand what I said.

I said Chinese forces would march into North Korea when they would see NKs front collapsing. As in China invading NK and installing a pupet regime in NK. Much of the old power structure might support them. They may claim the glorious leader was led astray by poor council and the Chinese borthers steped in to eliminate the traitors and restore peace. To the foreign community China can say with a straight face: "Hey we're the good guys, we helped make NK nuke free!"

NK demilitarizes, opes itself to Chinese economic interests, geostrategically the situation returns to a situation even better than the status que for China at almost no cost (remember this is only after their forces start showin sings of folding like the Iraqi army)
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

That scenario is a good point. Only opposition I could see would be SK wanting to unite the two Korea's, but China would defend NK and promote this reformed government and path to a better world. Chinese are smart players, they know how to hold the cards close and bluff everyone out... any actually have a good hand.
                      "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson

Comment

North Korea has always been a part of China.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Living here in China gives you a new perspective on the country. The government is the government, the people are the people. They kind of avoid each other. The people could care less what the government does, as long as they can live life and make business. The government likes what it does, but it keeps the country stable and safe. The whole North Korea thing...shaky ground.

Comment

China is going to have to make a decision at some point. They either support NK's activity or they don't accept. I don't like China much, but I really find it hard to believe they'd want to re-deal the deck over NK.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                              China is going to have to make a decision at some point. They either support NK's activity or they don't accept. I don't like China much, but I really find it hard to believe they'd want to re-deal the deck over NK.
                              Just curious, what is it about China you don't like much? Ever been there?

Comment

China sees the long term better than the West. A unified Korea outside of an immediate USA umbrella which is the case if USA withdraws after unification will drift closer to China economically firstly and later politically. So allowing forced unification followed by USA withdrawal from peninsula is also China's interest.

Comment

Working...
                                X