North Korea warns of nuclear war amid rising tensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Korea warns of nuclear war amid rising tensions

If I was somewhere near there, I'd be a little nervous, and provoked.

09:09 PM CDT on Sunday, June 14, 2009
    Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea – South Korea's president ordered his top security officials Sunday to deal "resolutely and squarely" with new North Korean warnings of a nuclear war on the eve of his U.S. visit. In Washington, Vice President Joe Biden said "God only knows" what North Korea wants from the latest showdown.

President Lee Myung-bak travels to Washington on Monday for talks with President Barack Obama that are expected to focus on the North's rogue nuclear and missile programs.

The trip comes after North Korea's Foreign Ministry threatened war with any country that stops its ships on the high seas under new sanctions approved by the U.N. Security Council in response to its May 25 nuclear test.

It also vowed Saturday to "weaponize" all its plutonium and acknowledged a long-suspected uranium enrichment program for the first time. Both plutonium and uranium are key ingredients of atomic bombs.

A commentary published Saturday in the North's state-run Tongil Sinbo weekly claimed the U.S. was deploying a vast number of nuclear weapons in South Korea and Japan.

North Korea "is completely within the range of U.S. nuclear attack and the Korean peninsula is becoming an area where the chances of a nuclear war are the highest in the world," it said.

Kim Yong-kyu, a spokesman at the U.S. military command in Seoul, denied the allegation, saying the U.S. no longer has nuclear bombs in South Korea. U.S. tactical nuclear weapons were removed from South Korea in 1991 as part of arms reductions following the Cold War.

President Lee summoned his top security ministers Sunday and ordered them to "resolutely and squarely cope" with the North's threats, his office said. The Unification Ministry, responsible for ties with the North, issued a statement demanding that it stop inflaming tension and resume talks with the South.

"North Korea should give up its nuclear program ... and stop any kind of military threat," it said. "We urge North Korea to respond in a sincere dialogue to improve South-North Korean relations."

The new U.N. sanctions approved Friday are aimed at depriving the North of the financing used to build its nuclear program. They also authorize searches of North Korean ships suspected of transporting illicit ballistic missile and nuclear materials.

Biden told NBC's "Meet the Press" that it's crucial that the U.S. and other nations "make sure those sanctions stick."

North Korea's leader, Kim Jong Il, reportedly had a stroke 10 months ago and analysts believe there may be a plan in place to name his inexperienced 26-year-old son, Kim Jong Un, as the future leader.

"God only knows what he wants," Biden said of Kim. "There's all kinds of discussions. Whether this is about succession, wanting his son to succeed him. Whether or not he's looking for respect. Whether or not he really wants a nuclear capability to threaten the region. ... We can't guess his motives.

"We just have to deal with the reality that a North Korea that is either proliferating weapons and or missiles, or a North Korea that is using those weapons ... is a serious danger and threat to the world, and particularly East Asia," the vice president said.

Lee Sang-hyun, an analyst at the Sejong Institute, a South Korean security think tank, said he believes the North will continue to conduct nuclear tests until it masters the technology to mount nuclear warheads on missiles and will give credit for it to Kim Jong Un.

"Kim Jong Un's status is still unstable. Kim Jong Il appears to be trying to give the son a powerful means to strengthen his succession," Lee said. "Kim Jong Un could also get the credit for nuclear weapons development."

North Korea is already believed to have enough plutonium for at least half a dozen atomic bombs.

North Korea says its nuclear program is a deterrent against the U.S., which it accuses of plotting to invade and topple its regime. Washington, which has 28,500 troops in South Korea, has repeatedly denied having any such plans.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

He'll probably nuke Texas first as an example, knowing that we won't retaliate in that instance.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I was stationed in Korea for 2 years, 1 of those years was about 3 miles south of the DMZ. It is a nasty place for a war. Both sides already have the entire border and then some ready to rock and roll. Rock drops, dragon's teeth, gun emplacements, artillery, you name it. The worst thing is the nukes. Seoul isn't out of arms reach for NK, and that is a major target. I have friends there now, they told me they are basically on alert *ready to roll status* all the time now. That is a war the US had better keep boots off the ground for...devastation is a definite.
      "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
      "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

I think it will become necessary to invade North korea to get rid of the threat, a North Korea with usable nuclear weapons is too high of a threat. China may accept a forced unification of the Koreas on the promise of USA withdrawal from the peninsula after the war. Any war must include massive upgrade of artillery south of the border so an initial surprise bombardment weakens the North's response followed by amphibious assault near and heading straight to their capital and other major cities.
        The way North Korea is acting a preemptive strike is best and done with overwhelming force will be quick, and South Korea will pick up the pieces of unification, not America so only a short term commitment.

Comment

See that whole surprise bombardment would be the start of the fall. Both sides have mass gun emplacements, please note none of this is classified info, and both sides are already zeroed on each other. If one side fires the other side has enough time before shells land to return fire. About a total of 63 minutes worth of firing can be done before all emplacements will be destroyed or disabled. Take into account also that both sides have NBC, focus on the B and the C part of that. Now add artillery and mortars to the mix and what do you have? A big cloud of booms and coughs.

The best option to bring casualties on both sides down to a suitable level is a mass air strike using high level precision bombers, long range cruise missiles in coordination, and an effective evacuation of civilians from the border zones to south of Seoul. No matter what happens the North will mobilize fast enough that they will inflict damage. The south will immediately blow the bridges, blow the rock drops, and seal off the western corridor from a North movement across the border. The best bet that the South has is a defensive posture with a literal bomb shield keeping everything at the DMZ and north from moving. While doing this paratroops and air assault would need to move in from the flanks to high value target locations, effectively shut down the chain of command, and at the same time ensure their heavy guns are taken out of action.

The initial blitz is the key to winning, if the North is not effectively shut down in those first hours then you can start counting bodies in Seoul by the morning, because Seoul would take a heavy hit quick.
          "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The Chinese will never tolerate US soldiers on their border for any period of time, regardless of what promises are made.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Of course they wouldn't, but they also wouldn't tolerate a nuclear war kicked off by NK.

Comment

That's a response?
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Mass precision air strikes and cruise missiles etc obviously are part of the equation, along with every other weapon suitable for an early extreme bombardment, certainly they can fire back, but hopefully they will get limited rounds out of their artillery before destruction.
                  Not sure what you mean by NBC.
                  Amphibuous and paratroop landings are essential to throw Norths planning into chaos and restrict their responses.
                  Personally I suspect that a lack of ability to resupply front lines quickly due to fuel and logistics shortages will see North Korea fall quicker than genereally expected.

Comment

NBC is Nuclear Biological and Chemical. Bad stuff.

An infantry war is something that needs to be avoided, the terrain is not pleasant to be moving through. Mounted or dismounted.

Comment

My bad
                      Last edited by zakubandit; June 15, 2009, 05:59. Reason: double post

Comment

Originally posted by zakubandit View Post
                        Of course they wouldn't, but they also wouldn't tolerate a nuclear war kicked off by NK.
                        But wouldn't the Chinese prefer to send their own troops in esatblishing a more controlable puppet regime in North Korea rather than let America expand its influence there?

I imagine they would watch the fighting and just as the NK front begins to loose out to US/SK forces they would sweep in from the north.
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

NKorea holds massive rally to condemn UN sanctions
                          We still want free stuff to be given to us!
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Apparently they're threatening to test another weapon.

I like this approach. We get mad and they throw a tantrum and test a weapon. I suspect we can outlast their enriched uranium reserves.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

This routine is getting old. NK once again yells BOO!

Whatever.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X