Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ultimate, all-important question for Star Trek movie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know nothing about Iowa... and would like to keep it that way.

You should have put the OP in spoiler tags. I'm somewhat saddened by my sudden new knowledge of Iowa.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Yeah, there are a considerable number of reasonably deep quaries near by. Go farther south in the state and check out some of the strip coal mines.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

They wuz strip minin' fer corn oil.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Back to the OP, are you sure that "mutilated" shouldn't be replaced with "improved"?
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

the real important question:

Why couldn't Star Trek outdraw Angels and Demons on their mutual opening weekend?
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

All the Xians had to make sure A&D didn't piss on the Pope again.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                Back to the OP, are you sure that "mutilated" shouldn't be replaced with "improved"?
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                  the real important question:

Why couldn't Star Trek outdraw Angels and Demons on their mutual opening weekend?
                  ?

Star Trek was out a full week before Angels and Demons.

Box office totals weekend, May 15-17:
                  Angels and Demons (Opening): $48m
                  Star Trek: $43m

Box office totals, weekend, May 8-11:
                  Star Trek (Opening): $79m
                  B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
                    You should have put the OP in spoiler tags. I'm somewhat saddened by my sudden new knowledge of Iowa.
                    QFT

"Field of Dreams" and caucuses is all I need to know about Iowa
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Q Classic View Post
                      ?

Star Trek was out a full week before Angels and Demons.

Box office totals weekend, May 15-17:
                      Angels and Demons (Opening): $48m
                      Star Trek: $43m

Box office totals, weekend, May 8-11:
                      Star Trek (Opening): $79m

And Star Trek had a very nice opening weekend as you've pointed out there.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        QFT

"Field of Dreams" and caucuses is all I need to know about Iowa
                        You forgot to mention gay marriage, douche bag.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm sure I just missed something, never having really been a big Star Trek fan, but if
                          Spoiler:
                          a single drop of this "red matter" can create a black hole that will swallow a planet or star in a matter of seconds, how the hell does Spock's ship carry around a big glob of it with no problem?
                          That aside, I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my wife and son.
                          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

There was an episode of the X-Files -- something about a train derailing, maybe? -- that opens with a majestic view of a mountain, over which is then superimposed "outside Sioux City, Iowa." I remember nearly choking with laughter at that.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
                              I'm sure I just missed something, never having really been a big Star Trek fan, but if
                              Spoiler:
                              a single drop of this "red matter" can create a black hole that will swallow a planet or star in a matter of seconds, how the hell does Spock's ship carry around a big glob of it with no problem?
                              That aside, I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my wife and son.
                              Spoiler:
                              Presumably, the ship being from the future, it's capable of that. In the graphic novel lead-up to the movie you learn that it's very advanced technology the future Vulcans developed.
                              B♭3

Comment

Thanks. Not terribly satisfying, but kind of what I figured. Like I said, though, didn't really detract from the movie. I was happy to suspend disbelief enough not to wonder too much about it until after we left the theater.
                                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                                X