Death Threat Traced!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eastsidebagel View Post

That's the IP adress of WPC. Now go on a killing spree, my fellow /b/*****!
    O_o

do not let me see such a post again.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Any threat not reported by the victim is not a serious threat.

Good for thread material though.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
        He'd never make it out of Saskatchewan alive.
        Death threat reported to moderators.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
          Any threat not reported by the victim is not a serious threat.

Good for thread material though.
          The victim doesn't have anything to do with the severity of the threat. It's all about the person who issued it.

Frankly, even if the guy lived in Toronto I'm pretty certain I could take him on if he came after me. But that's not the point.

I could've gotten him in a ****load of trouble with the Australian authorities for his comments. There's many precedents about international death threat comments being made online resulting in charges (including a couple referenced here over the past few days).

Because I choose not to be a complete *******, I have not yet reported it because I think Dale genuinely has some mental health issues and having legal problems wouldn't help him at all.

That doesn't make his threat any less serious or despicable.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

A threat that you didn't take seriously and certainly weren't fearful of.

If I suspected someone had mental health issues and they were making serious threats I'd be more inclined to report them. Not less.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Not if they're 34 year old Australian computer gamers.

Could tie my hands behind my back and I'd still win.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I have no idea what the australian authorities would do with it but I suspect you'd have trouble getting any interest by anyone in canadian justice. I just wasn't believable enough.

edit - And yes, I suspect you could beat him like a stepchild. In fact that would probably be true of most people at the site. Today's generation of computer geeks are physically weak.

Comment

I have no idea what the australian authorities would do with it but I suspect you'd have trouble getting any interest by anyone in canadian justice. I just wasn't believable enough.
                  It's pretty believable in the context.

Not only did the PM indicate he looked up my personal information, it ended with the death threat. That's a pretty open and shut case.

And no, Canadian justice wouldn't be involved. An Australian made the threat in Australia.

Comment

It's pretty believable in the context.

Not only did the PM indicate he looked up my personal information, it ended with the death threat. That's a pretty open and shut case.
                    Did you honestly think for even half a second he was going to get on a plane and come get you? Really?

And no, Canadian justice wouldn't be involved. An Australian made the threat in Australia.
                    Agreed. It is probably their jurisdiction.

Comment

Did you honestly think for even half a second he was going to get on a plane and come get you? Really?
                      Doesn't matter at all. Whether the victim believes it is never a relevant question.

FWIW, in the UK there was a 21-year old German guy who ended up flying up to the UK to murder a 22-year old British guy who was arguing with him on a message board. Stabbed him like 82 times.

I bet he didn't take it seriously either.

Comment

Doesn't matter at all. Whether the victim believes it is never a relevant question.
                        It is under our law.

FWIW, in the UK there was a 21-year old German guy who ended up flying up to the UK to murder a 22-year old British guy who was arguing with him on a message board. Stabbed him like 82 times.

I bet he didn't take it seriously either.
                        Strange things do happen.

Comment

It is under our law.
                          Doesn't appear to be.

Threaten death or bodily harm

Under the Criminal Code, it is an offence to knowingly utter or convey a threat to cause death or bodily harm to any person. It is also an offence to threaten to burn, destroy or damage property or threaten to kill, poison or injure an animal or bird that belongs to a person.

What the Crown must prove

To secure a conviction at trial, the Crown must prove that the person making the threat did so knowingly. That is, the prosecution must show that he was aware of the words used and the meaning they would convey. It also must show that he intended the threat to be taken seriously, that is, to intimidate or strike fear into the recipient. It is not necessary that the person making the threat intend to carry it out or be capable of doing so. The motive for making the threat is equally irrelevant.

This clearly shows that Dale must've intended the threat to be taken seriously, which is not the same thing as the recipient taking the threat seriously. And by providing the additional information showing that he took the time to look up my personal information, that ably qualifies as Dale intending the threat to be taken seriously.

Open and shut.

Comment

How will they prove what he intended?

It's an internet forum for gods sake.

Comment

How will they prove what he intended?

It's an internet forum for gods sake.
                              It should be pretty simple considering he put effort into researching my personal information information before issuing the threat. Why else would you do that if not to intimidate or strike fear into the person?

But the point is, whether I feel it to be serious or not is irrelevant. Whether I feel he is capable or not is irrelevant.

Comment

Sure it is. If you didn't believe it it would support the defence argument it wasn't serious. Your lack of action is informative.

Comment

Working...
                                X