Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Firaxis starts their own forums then are all the independents toast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Firaxis starts their own forums then are all the independents toast?

It seems to me the tide is for game companies to create their own official forums to support their games, like Paradox Forums etc, and inevitably the well financed corporate sites tend to suck up all the members and moders. So far Firaxis has not done this but I would be really surprised if they did not by the time Civ 5 is released in 1-2 years. If that happens then I'm honestly worried that the independent civ forums will end up being a bump on the log compared to the larger official forums backed up with corporate money.

Do you agree or disagree?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Wizards of the Coast has their own rather extensive set of forums for D&D, but forums on rpg.net and ENWorld still do just fine. *shrug* I could definitely see it hurting places like Poly and CFC, though.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Bollocks. I'm sticking here until I'm the only one left, if needs be.

Poly and CFC have been around forever; I don't think Official Firaxis Forums would have an effect on that.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I disagree. Firaxis would probably have crappy forums full of censorship.

Plus they'd probably have a Sid Meier's Dinosaurs forum.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I do agree with that. The official forums do tend to censor more stuff then the independents.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The most important part of my post was the Dinosaurs part.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Firaxis had a forum during (prior to) the civ3 release.
              It was not much of a success.
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Poly will go on till doomsday...!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Could Firaxis even afford to? I'm sure their staff have better things to do (coding, design?) then moderate a forum, so they'd be forced to rely on volunteers, who might not share the Firaxis vision, even if they were given a sinecure to do it. It's a pretty big investment for something that might not be a success, and I think that the Firaxians who post here and CFC do so because they know there's already a fanbase who are receptive to their ideas and they don't need their own forum to access these fans.

Comment

The company forums would flare and fade along with the game popularity, and as the fans move to fresh pastures...

Modding support serves to keep a game around longer too.
                    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

As usual, the Duke makes a strong case. Why "invest" in something that is already there and serves their need. It is in their best interest to support multiple game sites with established fan bases.

Plus, Asher is right as well. A good forum includes both the good and the bad about the game. Censorship is something that happens at many "company" sites. It's tough to have an honest discussion when the product is flawed. Even BTS, after the final patch, has problems.
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Has someone forgotten the old alpha.owo forums?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Firaxis would have to come up with a 250 MB patch for any site.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Don't see why, the situation is different then with Paradox. Firaxis would be better served to simply work with Poly and CFC.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The old Firaxis forums were great. Due to some sort of coding issue, any negative comments about SMAC would simply vanish without trace. And sometimes the posters making the negative comments vanished too. Happy days!
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                              X