Physics -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physics -

The physics questions/discussion will start after a preamble.

So I am on a job search, and I still like physics, so currently I am looking for post docs or applied physics jobs. I have already applied to several applied physics jobs, but am looking to apply for more post doc type jobs. One nice thing about post doc jobs is that they are common no matter the economy, the bad thing is that they pay less and don't really prepare one for even applied physics jobs.

Anyway, I am looking at different experimental post doc position openings. I noticed one dealing with Axions. Now I like experiments that are looking for new physics, this seems a lot more interesting to me then just a finer measurement of some known thing. My own measurement isn't giving entirely new physics, but is producing a very different picture of the nucleon then what theorist models had predicted... which makes it interesting. In any case, a number of post docs I am looking to apply to deal with neutrinos or the LHC. However, there are also dark matter searches, and I understand that Axions are a leading candidate for them. However, I don't know much about axions... and what I do know about them doesn't impress me (either experimentally or theoretically).

I don't like the idea of spending years doing physics searching for a new particle, and having the result of not finding it be pretty meaningless. On the other hand, in my understanding of particle physics, if we don't find the Higgs in the LHC it would be really strange.

So anyways, for those who know more than I (like Matt), what is your opinion on Axions? Are they good physics, how strong is the theory? Is it just a wild goose chase?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

WOW!

good luck.

Comment

Honestly, I don't know that much about axions.

The original theory is fine (it works), but does not seem particularly well-motivated.

And I get the feeling that it may be a bit of an area where cranks work.

Though this may be unfair.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Do solid state. Maybe detector development.

Comment

So anyways, for those who know more than I (like Matt), what is your opinion on Axions? Are they good physics, how strong is the theory? Is it just a wild goose chase?
          I don't know more then you, but my impression of dark matter lies more towards a cosmological repulsive force that would explain rotational discreprencies, rather then exotic particles. Makes sense to me that gravity would be both attractive and repulsive like all the other fundamental forces. You wouldn't need a significant negative term to alter it either.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

What's next, is Asher going to start a thread called "Taking it in the ass."
            Last edited by Wiglaf; May 1, 2009, 01:35.

Comment

Get into industry and make money. Competing with the zillion Chinese and Indian post-docs who'll work for nothing in academia and whom the government continues to allow to flood into the USA is a losing idea. The whole system is ****ed.
              Last edited by SpencerH; April 30, 2009, 23:35. Reason: making bad grammar less bad
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I did apply for a couple of applied positions at national laboratories.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't know more then you, but my impression of dark matter lies more towards a cosmological repulsive force that would explain rotational discreprencies, rather then exotic particles

Wow, that wouldn't work with observed data AT ALL.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                    I did apply for a couple of applied positions at national laboratories.

JM
                    Yet all you have found is Poly OT mod.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                    X