The coronation of Napoleon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The coronation of Napoleon

Art history is something I've not studied very much. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this beautiful painting in the Louvre.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Guynemer for OT Mod
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yes
        "

Comment

Napoleon put the Pope is his plac! :d:

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

nescience
            "

Comment

Trying for a Tuberski?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

BK, I will take this moment to say how much I admire your steadfastness against all the derision sent your way on this site.
                "

Comment

He's used to it, given all the raging persecution against Christianity in America.

Comment

I've seen copies of that picture, but I've never been in the Louvre, so I haven't seen the original.

BTW: It's my pet theory that this was the turning point in Napolean's career. Up until then, he was fighting for republicanism. So the common man flocked to his banner, and he built the most powerful army in Europe. After this moment, he was just another monarch. So, e.g., when he invaded Russian, the Russian peasants didn't flock to his support but instead turned into guerillas, harrassing Le Grande Armee.

Comment

Up until then, he was fighting for republicanism.

LOL
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

"They wanted me to be another Washington"-Nappy
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

It's my pet theory that this was the turning point in Napolean's career. Up until then, he was fighting for republicanism. So the common man flocked to his banner, and he built the most powerful army in Europe. After this moment, he was just another monarch. So, e.g., when he invaded Russian, the Russian peasants didn't flock to his support but instead turned into guerillas, harrassing Le Grande Armee.
                          I think the Russian winter simply did him in, although he did reach Moscow.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                            I've seen copies of that picture, but I've never been in the Louvre, so I haven't seen the original.

BTW: It's my pet theory that this was the turning point in Napolean's career. Up until then, he was fighting for republicanism. So the common man flocked to his banner, and he built the most powerful army in Europe. After this moment, he was just another monarch. So, e.g., when he invaded Russian, the Russian peasants didn't flock to his support but instead turned into guerillas, harrassing Le Grande Armee.
                            I've read an interesting theory what led Napoleon to make the fateful decision. Apparently there was an assasination attempt on him right before hand, which led to the realization that those unsatisfied thought that once Napoleon was killed, France could elect another leader or go back to the terror. Napoleon realized the way to stop those type of attempts was to create a empire, so that if he was killed, his heir would get the leadership instead of another political revolution occuring.

But, yes, aside from KH's snickering, many people believed he was campaigning for republicanism. Thomas Jefferson was a huge fan of Napoleon and believed he was bring the French Revolution to the entire continent. A lot of people turned on Napoleon after he so blatently turned his back on republicanism or what people thought was republicanism.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, maybe he didn't bring the rev to the entire continent, but some fruits of the rev certainly. The Code Napoléon was certainly a huge improvement over many old style aristocratic law systems that were in place throughout Europe and now got replaced by the CN where Nappy had control (and in many ways the CN influenced similar stuff done in other countries later).
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X